2 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

this is the first time I hear there is a difference in the rear area above the engines between C/D and J/S... where can we easily see this difference in the juncture? any pics? thanks sir.

I never noticed the difference until Tommy posted about it in his excellent blog: Link 

Ben

Tommy published photos of this "forgotten knowledge" on his blog after an online discussion about trimming all 1/72 models when we build a "long engine".

So far anyway, no one has given that difference that Darren is talking about to 1/72 modelers. (at least I can't think of a model off the top of my head right now)

I call it "forgotten knowledge" because it gets left off of Phantom drawings with long or short engines,,,,,But was included in book profiles up until the early eighties. It was even included on decal instruction sheets done by Aeromaster. (I don't buy into the "Errormaster" thing, because a lot of "errors" identified online simply weren't really errors, they are caused by people not understanding something)

Now that it has been discussed, model companies are paying attention to it, and including it in their new tooled kits. On older kits, it was always molded as if for an F-4B, because of the "common fuselage" concept that companies were using. (Including Hasegawa 1/72 kits)

As an aside to Darren, *I* didn't compare the Academy nose to the Hasegawa,,,,I compared it to the real aircraft. If "ole droop  snoot" doesn't droop, it isn't a Phantom. Might as well tool the wings and tailplanes level while one is at it. We were looking at "raw plastic" at the time,,,,,,,,not finished models where someone painted the proper Radome to Fuselage line on.

Also Darren,,,,,,,I hope that you don't detect a "tone in my words", we are just discussing small nuances in very good model kits. You and I seem to fall on opposite sides of these discussions a lot,,,,,but, "angry sniping" is not my intent. In a face to face convo, we'd be smiling when saying some of these things to each other. I am not a "smiley typer" at all,,,,,and on these white and black pages, it almost seems that "written tone" is there,,even if not intended.

These are very good model kits indeed, if the discussion winds up being about a "radome angle" on one, and the "engine fairing lips" on another. If you still have one around, go and look at your Airfix 1/72 Phantom, or a Revell from the sixties, or a Hasegawa "D/J" from back then. When we do that,,,,,,discussing this rear fuselage shape is a real treat.

Edited by Rex