This is my only build for the year. 
It took me ~ 450 hours to finish it. 
I finished it the morning of Christmas Eve, and delivered it to him that afternoon.
My modelling friend had volunteered to build a 1/72 C-130H for a friend who was a TSgt in the USAF Reserve, and a Flight Engineer on a C-130H at Maxwell Reserve Base. 
Because of my friend's  Parkinsons, I stepped in to build it. 
I used Italeri's 1/72 C-130E/H as the basis, and used the following aftermarket items: 
Attack Squadron Engine Nacelles & Props and their Wheel Well Extensions, OzMods engine exhausts, and Brengun's PE Flare/Chaff dispensers.
I used portions of decals from Vince Maddux decals (Thank you Vince!), Authentic Decals and Warbirds Decals.
All the chaff "buckets were scratch-built, as were all the antennas on the nose, tail and Top & bottom of the aircraft.
The static discharge wicks were made from Econoflex .014" 7-stranded beading wire.
Paint was ModelMaster Air Mobility Command Gray. I also used the Eduard canopy masks (first try, very nice stuff).
Some of the windows had to be filled in and new ones made in the correct locations.
Measurements for scratchbuilding were based on loads of photos I took as well as online pics.
i haven't had time to resize my WIP pics and upload them to Photobucket, so I only have a few pics to show. 
The base is a poster frame, with an official USAF map of Qatar, which is where TSgt Gross flew out of.

(P.S. I know the flags on the tail are backwards. I didn't figure it out until the morning of delivery, and TSgt Gross wasn't concerned about it.)

Larry

P1030273_Resized.jpg

P1030282_Resized.jpg

P1030278_Resized.jpg

P1030284_Resized.jpg

Edited by ReccePhreak
41 minutes ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Nice work Larry, what did you do with he raised detail, looks like it was sanded off?

Thanks for the nice comment.

Yes, I sanded off the raised detail, and only added some rescribed detail, mainly because this was to be a display model and not a contest entry. 

It was a learning experience for me, and I will rescribe my next C-130 kit, as it will make it easier to position the wing walk striping, among other markings.

I will have to verify the panel locations against good drawings and photos, since I think the kit lines aren't totally accurate.

Larry

22 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

Nice Hercules! I'm sure if you opened the crew door it would smell like hydraulic fluid/puke from it's use! I've got 2000 hours in the back end of the Handsome, sleek, high performance MC-130. Love those legacy Herks....."Number 3 is Clear"

5 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Great model of the C-130!

HAJO

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Larry

13 hours ago, Draggie748 said:

Nice one Larry. There should have been plenty of real ones around where you hangout, oh that's right they're the wrong model. LOL! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Phil Hastie

Canberra, Australia

Thanks Phil, for the nice comment.

I did go on Hurlburt Field a number of times, to get photos & measurements of certain details that would be on my model.

Got a few funny looks, laying on my back underneath some of the display Herks, with a camera & tape measure. :rofl:

Larry