Hobbyboss Su-34 OOB build

IMG_1293_zpspxfecm1f.jpgIMG_1294_zpsrh5cxbxs.jpgIMG_1291_zpsbvvjkbap.jpg

I got the new Su-34 and have been wanting to see how it actually looks in real life. So Here my first ever build posted on ARC.  Today I primed the cockpit and painted it using AKAN acrylics.  I need to get a better light source, but the cockpit photsos I fond online showed a lighter blue interior than the Su-27. 

Watching with great interest. I think a large number of us are hesitant to spend the money until we have seen a build and get an idea of the amount of fixes required. 

Thanks for putting this up and congrats on your first in progress build log.

Cheers, 

Dave

34 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Excellent. The fit looks so far so good eh?

Well, I'm wrapping up the Tamiya F-14 as well so I've definitely been spoiled.  But overall so far it's been pretty good.  Top and bottom fuselage fit really well.  I'm interested to see how the intakes come together.

Have they made any provision for the shutter blinds inside the cockpit???

They are quite prominent in photos - there are blinds down the curved side windows and a semi-circular blind that folds flat across the top of the coaming.

I scratched them on my Italeri 1/72nd Su-34......

Photo%20021.JPG

Photo%20030.JPG

You can see the rails in this photo I took at Zhukovsky - and part of the folded blind..... the one on the coaming is not quite so visible.

Real%20007.JPG

A search of the internet will find more photos....

This one is quite good :- http://i.imgur.com/bMP6G16.jpg

There's a hint of the front fold-down one in this photo :- http://i.imgur.com/fZnJooe.jpg

Happy Flankering!

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Nice to see this build. I do not have the kit as yet and waiting to see what the KH version might look like.

As for those blinds I wonder if it is similar to those anti-flash curtains like the F-111?

DSC_0818_zps9ndulql4.jpgDSC_0817_zps7r5g8xbq.jpgDSC_0819_zpsb1cxanmu.jpgDSC_0821_zpsdutlngw3.jpg

So after some cold temps kept me out of the garage to do any painting, I made a little more progress on the build. Installed the cockpit into the fuselage and installed the gear bays. the front one was a little tight, but so far everything has gone together with pretty good fit.  Next up, closing up the fuselage halves.  

Edited by Vaildog
spelling mistake
41 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Gotta see the halves closed up and the subsequent fit. Curious to know if you're going to try to re-profile the nose and which seams to fill.

Yeah we'll see how it looks and if the work required will make a difference without taxing my skills. I don't want to end up making it look worse. 

10 hours ago, Vaildog said:

Yeah we'll see how it looks and if the work required will make a difference without taxing my skills. I don't want to end up making it look worse. 

Keep up the good work brother...I'm rooting for ya!

DSC_0822_zpsu0eub8sp.jpg

Fuselage halves assembled and canopy masked and attached.  I don't see how Kitty Hawk can improved on this aspect of the kit, especially if they break the fuselage into multiple sections.

DSC_0826_zpsyyh42dcs.jpg

DSC_0832_zps6deabfix.jpg

DSC_0833_zpspbimotic.jpg

Hopefully these are giving you an idea of the nose section.  Not ever having been around the plane, I can only say it looks Su-34ish to me.

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Nice work! What paint scheme are you planning?

I will be doing the three tone blue using the Mr Paint colors. I will probably do the eggplant scheme when I pick up the Kitty Hawk version.

DSC_0837_zpsh4panhru.jpg

Primed and painted the intake trunks

DSC_0835_zps8psz1yac.jpg

Added  the vertical stabilizers and stinger assembly

DSC_0836_zpsoeklydf4.jpg

Every thing has been pretty gap free to this point except here. Shouldn't require too much filling.I'll try not to lose the detail for the flare dispensers.