Hobbyboss Su-34 OOB build

4 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Great build...

It is not a huge deal but I think both the nose and the front of the canopy should have been more pointier. So this is an area where kittyhawk can upgrade..

SU_34_TASS.jpg

The nose certainly and I would imagine the canopy would be effected as well. However, the photo you're showing us Fox seems to have been shot with a wide angle lens which distorted the photo as well as the angle it was shot at.

• 2 weeks later...

DSC_0846_zpsll60sjck.jpg

Filled the non-existent panel lines in the nose

DSC_0847_zpsxadrhp68.jpg

Preliminary paint of the intakes and wheel bays

DSC_0849_zpsvc5y2m4x.jpg

Intake alignment is not the greatest.  Better locating tabs would have been very helpful. Also I don't understand the decision to have the main landing gear fairing assembled along the seam. 

DSC_0851_zpsaxciahy3.jpg

DSC_0852_zpsifsafqa4.jpg

After filling and sanding, just needs another primer touch up.

Boy, that is a tough seam. Amazing they would create a mess with the gear fairing like that as well. The fairings should have been separate parts, as I am also believing they should have tried to mold the nose separate from the forward fuselage. Did you try removing the locator pins etc.? I think I'll try to cut the tiny bit of fairing off in advance of the intake fitting, then glue it back after the filling and sanding.

Kudos to your work my friend...stay the course!

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
  • 2 weeks later...

Warmer temps mean it's easier to paint in the garage. I like using white primer because it helps give a lighter scale effect to the overall finish.

DSC_0853_zpsbhbm5mug.jpgDSC_0856_zpsaeyqop7f.jpgDSC_0857_zpsu2td1gw3.jpg

Some preshading/random splotches

DSC_0864_zpsh5uaou8v.jpg

Finished underside with bare metal exhaust.  Some Su-34s have these while others don't.

15 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Looking forward to the completion and the topside 3 color camouflage. You'll have to provide us a summary of your kit impressions when you finish please.

What brand of paint (and colors) are you using?

I'm using the Mr Paint.  Its the first time I've used the brand because they have the correct colors, but I'm really enjoying working with them.  

Nice. I used Mr. Paint for the first time last week and that paint is awesome. I'll do my Su-34 in the Eggplant Gray using Mr. Paint. The pigment is so fine and it sprays like ink. Hope to see more of your project soon, it looks great.

Fabulous work on the hellduck! The paintjob is really coming together nicely

The kit itself looks fairly alright but for the nose cone....we shall see how kitty hawk will fare...there is room for some aftermarket resin.

All wrapped up.  Overall I enjoyed the build although a over $100, its a little steep for what you get. The Kinetic Su-33 is much more detailed kit  of similar size for much less.

DSC_0883_zpsflgrrjmp.jpg

DSC_0886_zps2xljnvki.jpgDSC_0879_zpsffptcqcq.jpgDSC_0889_zps3yt7xk0x.jpgDSC_0892_zpsa8tmtj4c.jpgDSC_0898_zpsvn50vpf5.jpgDSC_0900_zpsobyohbkq.jpg