1/48 Tamiya F-14B Tomcat

This was my test bed for my Steel Beach F-14B conversion. It should be available sometime in January. This is Tamiya Tomcat #3 for me, and I'm still amazed at how easily it builds up. For this one I added a set of True Details resin seats and Eduard wheels. I tried the burner can petal decals from Fightertown, and they worked great. I think next time I'll lightly spray them with Burnt Metal before putting them on. Also, the area that you apply them to has to be perfectly smooth. They show any defect on the part. I used a mix of Afterburner decals from their VF-84 and VF-103 sheets as well as detail decals from the Fightertown sheet. These were the markings that I put on my very first FSM article and I've always wanted to go back and do them correctly. It brought back good memories...and made me feel old all at the same time!

1605426_orig.jpg

7758050_orig.jpg

1542113_orig.jpg

4391832_orig.jpg

4747259_orig.jpg

2875960_orig.jpg

1407275_orig.jpg

Edited by Darren Roberts
37 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Really looking great Darren!!!

Are those your braces at the vertical stabs? They look a bit different than the ones I have

Those are actually the vinyl set I have. Those will be included in the Bravo conversion. The resin ones have more detail, but you need to sand them down a bit so they don't stand too proud off the tail.

Thanks for the kind words FAR148 and tosouthern66. 

Edited by Darren Roberts
20 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Those are actually the vinyl set I have. Those will be included in the Bravo conversion. The resin ones have more detail, but you need to sand them down a bit so they don't stand too proud off the tail.

Thanks for the info Darren! Looking forward to see your new set

1 hour ago, ChippyWho said:

That's a DAMN fine Tomcat! What's the story with the exhaust decals -do they have some feature other than saving a masking chore?

They were on the Fightertown decal sheet, so I thought I'd give them a try. I don't think they save any more time than painting the nozzles. The dark "burned" areas are decals, and those save a ton of time!

43 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

They were on the Fightertown decal sheet, so I thought I'd give them a try. I don't think they save any more time than painting the nozzles. The dark "burned" areas are decals, and those save a ton of time!

Darren

Which set are they on?

How on earth did you paint the silver ring just before the burner petals? Another great build. I always like how you build cool and rather unmodeled paint schemes. I think you are the man to do the Vark of Arabia. I have never seen anyone do that!

12 minutes ago, tomthegrom said:

How on earth did you paint the silver ring just before the burner petals? Another great build. I always like how you build cool and rather unmodeled paint schemes. I think you are the man to do the Vark of Arabia. I have never seen anyone do that!

I'd love to take credit for that, but they are on the Fightertown data sheet. It's a great sheet to have for all the small Tomcat decals.

3 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

The newer data sheet that he came out with. It has just about everything you'd ever need, including cockpit instrumentation.

Darren

Thanks for the info, somehow I missed this sheet! Which is your next Tomcat you are building? Inquiring minds wants, must know!

11 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Thanks for the information!

Well done Darren. I plan on going back and pulling that FSM article/issue when I get home. About 30% through my first Tamiya Tomcat and I am still kicking around paint/markings. Such a hard decision to make for me. Again, great job sir!

2 hours ago, ChippyWho said:

Looks like there are a couple of windscreen tints there too...

Most importantly, when will the Steel Beach B mods hit the ground? They look superb.

I'm making multiple molds right now. I'm hoping by the end of the month.