1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18D Hornet

Finally finished after 17 months! A 1/48 scale model (Hasegawa kit) of an F/A-18D Hornet of VMFA(AW)-225 Vikings. This was the CO's jet from 2003-2004. Aftermarket includes Black Box cockpit, Sierra Hotel intakes, Eduard PE, Wolfpack F/A-18C/D Late Type Update Set, Royal Resin wheels, Brassin AMRAAM, and SuperScale decals. Vagabonds once, Vikings forever!

thumb_IMG_2921_1024_zpsslcxkqfj.jpg

thumb_IMG_2923_1024_zpsuwltifv7.jpg

thumb_IMG_2930_1024_zpsmfwbx7im.jpg

thumb_IMG_2924_1024_zpskqpzyeie.jpg

thumb_IMG_2931_1024_zpsujhs5azj.jpg

thumb_IMG_2932_1024_zpsfndhlv4t.jpg

thumb_IMG_2927_1024_zpsafopz6ge.jpg

thumb_IMG_2928_1024_zpskhhcwjqa.jpg

thumb_IMG_2929_1024_zpsvpd29vs2.jpg

thumb_IMG_2922_1024_zpssbrikko6.jpg

thumb_IMG_2916_1024_zps0spyouid.jpg

thumb_IMG_2918_1024_zpsouchafcv.jpg

thumb_IMG_2917_1024_zpsycfadd15.jpg

thumb_IMG_2919_1024_zpspnw6c9lh.jpg

thumb_IMG_2920_1024_zpsvubzc7dv.jpg

thumb_IMG_2987_1024_zpsgogiwee8.jpg

thumb_IMG_2984_1024_zpscq9w3l3b.jpg

thumb_IMG_2983_1024_zpsfrfmbuzw.jpg

thumb_IMG_2980_1024_zpsrdwjhzs0.jpg

thumb_IMG_2982_1024_zpsyeub9bgg.jpg

thumb_IMG_2985_1024_zpswx2flcbs.jpg

thumb_IMG_2986_1024_zpspabndjib.jpg

Edited by ex-USMC_Hornet_WSO

Man, what a fantastic looking Viking!  You nailed the look and weathering, and I love the straight Mk 83 load out!  One of these days, I'll get rear in gear and get my Moonlighter OIF Hornet knocked out.  I'd love to do an in-flight version with one of our in-country SCLs, probably double bubble, LMAV, GBU-38 and Litening pod.  Hope mine turns out half as good as yours!

Semper Fi,

Ski

Very well done. :thumbsup:  I am about to finish that same one also.  How do you do the

red edges on the gear doors?  Red paint on a white surface scares the bejeebers out

of me and the door edges on that kit are so narrow.  Mine is a Viking also.

:cheers:

Jerry

12 hours ago, usmcski6502 said:

Man, what a fantastic looking Viking!  You nailed the look and weathering, and I love the straight Mk 83 load out!  One of these days, I'll get rear in gear and get my Moonlighter OIF Hornet knocked out.  I'd love to do an in-flight version with one of our in-country SCLs, probably double bubble, LMAV, GBU-38 and Litening pod.  Hope mine turns out half as good as yours!

Semper Fi,

Ski

Thanks, Ski!

30 minutes ago, k5ikl said:

Very well done. :thumbsup:  I am about to finish that same one also.  How do you do the

red edges on the gear doors?  Red paint on a white surface scares the bejeebers out

of me and the door edges on that kit are so narrow.  Mine is a Viking also.

:cheers:

Jerry

You paint the base colors (grey and white) on both sides of the doors, then you Future them. Once the Future is dry, you take a long thin brush and paint the red edges with enamel. If you mess up and you get red on the sides, simply take a small Tamiya q-tip (I like the extra small, triangular ones), soak it in paint thinner, and rub the red paint off holding the q-tip at an angle to the edge so that it doesn't touch the red edges and just wipes it off the sides. The Future protects the base coat. That's it! Good luck!

9 hours ago, ex-USMC_Hornet_WSO said:

You paint the base colors (grey and white) on both sides of the doors, then you Future them. Once the Future is dry, you take a long thin brush and paint the red edges with enamel. If you mess up and you get red on the sides, simply take a small Tamiya q-tip (I like the extra small, triangular ones), soak it in paint thinner, and rub the red paint off holding the q-tip at an angle to the edge so that it doesn't touch the red edges and just wipes it off the sides. The Future protects the base coat. That's it! Good luck!

I can't believe I've never thought of this....