I'll be joining this GB with the AFV Club AH-1W. It'll be a OOB build with the possibility of AM decals for a What-If JGSDF Super Cobra. I like the tri-color scheme of the JGSDF AH-1S, so I'll be applying it to this build.

zzCB0JY.jpg

This will be the first helicopter I've built since the late 70's when I built the Revell 1/32 Huey Attack Helicopter.

Mike

On 02/01/2017 at 1:43 PM, Ichitoe said:

I'll be joining this GB with the AFV Club AH-1W. It'll be a OOB build with the possibility of AM decals for a What-If JGSDF Super Cobra. I like the tri-color scheme of the JGSDF AH-1S, so I'll be applying it to this build.

zzCB0JY.jpg

This will be the first helicopter I've built since the late 70's when I built the Revell 1/32 Huey Attack Helicopter.

Mike

G'day Mike,

Is the AFV kit a new tool or is it a re-box with some extra bits.

If the latter, what are the extra bits?

Great choice,

cheers,

Pappy

Had a chance this week to spend some time painting the cockpit. I don't worry about accuracy as far coloration of buttons and switches since once the build is complete it goes into the display case, and no one peers into the cockpit. As long it's close that's all that matters to me.

79fqh9u.jpg

lvJihgf.jpg

The task for this weekend is to get the access panels closed on the fuselage and hopefully get the fuselage assembled by the end of the weekend. We're supposed to have a snowy and icy weekend, so chances are good I can get this done by Monday.

Mike

On 1/3/2017 at 8:09 PM, Ichitoe said:

Hello Pappy,

Nah, it's a re-boxing of the MRC kit with extra bits. The extra bits are a resin chin turret and aluminum barrels.

Mike

I wrote a review of it yeeeaaarrrsss ago on KitMaker, can probably still find it.

Thanks for the encouraging comments!

We had a snowy day today, so it was a good excuse to spend the day working on the build. I attached the intakes, exhausts and the engine access panel. The fit for these wasn't bad. I only needed a little Mr Surfacer to fill in some gaps.

txnFE6t.jpg

xFp1Cyq.jpg

As you can see, I also got the fuselage assembled. I didn't check the fit for the tail section before hand, and I had some issues with the fit. I have some work to do to clean up the mis-alignment. 

Oh well, I guess that's part of the enjoyment of modeling, correcting mistakes....

Mike

Edited by Ichitoe

A quick update. I was able to clean up the fit issue I had produced in the tail section this past week. Got lucky with that screw-up!

Tonight, I was able to get several hours in at the bench, and I made some good progress. I have all the access panels closed up now, assembled and attached the wings, have the skids on and added few odds and ends. 

subdoNz.jpg

z3q31H3.jpg

Next up are the canopy and the armament. I'm leaning towards rockets and Hellfires on one side and rockets and TOWs on the other. Soon the paint shop will be calling! I haven't been able to source any 1/35 JGSDF decals. In fact, I don't think any exist! So I'll probably have to use some spare 1/32 JASDF decals.   

Thanks for looking in on my build.

Mike

Edited by Ichitoe

Looking great!  FYI, while she can carry TOWs on either side, we preferred to carry TOW on the #1 side (port/left as you sit in the cockpit), and Hellfire on the right if it was a mixed load.  That way, if the TOWs wire-cut logic failed, it reduced the chance of the uncut wire getting caught in the tail rotor (in theory, anyway).  Not always the case, of course, but in every unit I was with, anyway.  If I see any photos of HMLA-267 Whiskeys in Iraq in '03 with TOW on the right side, I know for a fact that the left side was bad for TOW and was Hellfire only.

Keep up the great work, love the progress!

Semper Fi,

Ski

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a a while since my last post. I have been working on the build, just slowly.

Ski - thanks for the info! TOWs on the port and Hellfires on the starboard is what it'll be!

I assembled the weapons and cleaned them up for the paint shop.

9NcPr58.jpg

And here they are all painted up. The color bands aren't accurate, but they look the part. At least to me.

VqcELYq.jpg

Due to the lack of appropriate decals for the JGSDF, I've decided to do a Marines AH-1W bird instead. It'll be the grey on grey scheme. I've laid down the first coat of paint.

DRT7JKr.jpg

YQAWqW3.jpg

I'll continue to dial in the painting then I'l start on the resin/aluminum gun assembly.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

Dang, Mike, she looks fantastic!  After all that hard work, have you considered using Werner's Wings replacement canopy?  It's unfortunate, but one of the worst parts of the big Whiskey is the canopy shape.  Keep up the great work, you're in the homestretch now!

Semper Fi,

Ski

Ski - After I took the pics I noticed the step along the bottom of the canopy where it meets up with the fuselage on both sides. I scrapped most of the step down, and hopefully it'll look better after another coat of paint. I should have paid more attention to this as I've heard this is a trouble spot on the kit. I will on the next one! As far vacuform canopies, I've never had much luck with them. Can never get them to come out right.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

Mike your birds looking outstanding, I too have that same problem with the step on my canopy mate at the fuselage, going to scrap and sand s well and hope for the best. That load outs looking superb also. Can't wait to the see the end result,  I always enjoy seeing your completed work!