Thanks guys for the compliments, very much appreciated!

Well, I'm taking a step back on the build. I didn't like how the scraping of the canopy edge turned out, so I ordered a couple of the Werner Wings vacuform canopies. Once they show up I'll remove the kit canopy and prepare the vac canopy for installation. I'll post pics as I get into it. As I indicated in a previous post, I haven't had much success with prior vac canopy attempts, but hopefully, I've learned from my past errors.....

Mike 

The Werner Wings canopies arrived, so taking off the kit's canopy was the task this weekend. It actually came off with no serious issues. I had some cleanup effort along the cockpit edge where the canopy was adhered. 

CPBdlgO.jpg

I didn't take photos of the cutting out and trimming of the vacuform canopy, but here it is for the most part trimmed and fitted. There are few gaps I'll need to address but nothing too challenging.

noGLHAl.jpg

It definitely looks 100% better than the kit canopy! I haven't decided yet whether I'll attempt adding the WSPS to the canopy or not. 

After a little more fine tuning of the fit, I'll get the canopy masked up and ready for painting. 

Thanks for checking in on my build.

Mike

I've spent the last several days fine tuning the fit of the vac canopy, and I have it about the best I'm going to get it. Vac canopies are delicate! It seems I just looked at the canopy and scratches appeared! I buffed the scratches out the best I could, but there are a couple that are too deep. Lesson learned to add a protective covering while handling during trimming and dry fitting.

With the thin wall of the canopy, I was concerned about how solid of an attachment I could get with PVA glue, so I added some backing along the edge of the cockpit. I used Evergreen rod and strip.

1L1RL8X.jpg

jemF9fL.jpg

I also masked the canopy. My plan is to first paint the canopy then attach it to the fuselage.  I'll paint black first to represent the interior frame then cover it with grey.

PCcWVm4.jpg

Thanks for looking in on my build.

Mike

1 hour ago, Winnie said:

How will that nose fit with the Cobra Company NTS nose?

Yes it will.  It will fit the Basic AH-1W, the Cobra Company NTS conversion and the Academy NTS version.  You will have to cut the canopy like the real thing and paint the appropriate framework.

Floyd

Weekend Update:

Whew, the vac canopy is on! It took several attempts, and it was more difficult than I thought it was going to be. The fit was a bit different when attaching it compared to dry fitting it. I had to do a bit of minor surgery to the canopy while it was partially attached! I used a combination of both PVA and CA adhesives. Overall, I'm happy how it came out, and it's an 100% improvement over the kit canopy.

iKxJ4oi.jpg

W4HXPaB.jpg

Next up will be adding the exterior colors to the canopy, and weathering it up to blend it in. I also need to do some touchup painting to the build as all the handling it endured during the dry fitting has worn through the paint in some areas. 

I also assembled the 20mm cannon. The turned aluminum barrels and resin bits included in the kit are 100% improvement over the kit cannon.

kOMdqBT.jpg

And here it is painted up.

AnP9YoG.jpg

I feel like I'm in the home stretch for this build. Now to be patient and not screw anything up!

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

This build is done! Overall, I'm pleased with how it came out. There are areas I need to improve upon. Build and learn, right?

A couple of firsts for me on the this build: 1) success with a vacuform canopy (although, I definitely could have done a better job at cleaning up the frame!) and 2) weathering with the spray gun. Typically, I just use the Flory dark wash. 

cTDOklr.jpg

YfgqdWC.jpg

PeKVNlS.jpg

Hjg4WKm.jpg

I'll post a few more different photos in The Helipad.

Thanks for following my build.

Mike

Thanks Ski! The Cobra has always been a favorite of mine, and it's nice to FINALLY have one in the display case.

I realized after I took and posted the finish build pics, I forgot to install the pitot tube! That's been taken care of!

Mike

• 3 months later...