Revell Lunar Module in 1/48

This is gonna be a little different. I want to show all the materials I use to build up a Lunar Module.

The kit is from around 1968 ... and I have a before and after model but I want to build one, using damaged kits I got on ebay and build this one up, but it will have no paint ... just bare bones to show Resin, Styrene and various metals. 

And a couple of the donor 'kits'. 

2v2uRdYsgxAnAAS.jpg

I've got a couple other models nearing completion and when they're done in the next couple weeks, I'll be back!

Till then ...

Edited by K2Pete

A bare bones model, what a great idea Pete!  I remember we spoke about something like this a while ago.  We were saying that it's cool to see a model that's been modified right before it gets painted.  To see what went into it.  Maybe you remember.

Mike.

Mike, I've spoken to a few different guys about this idea, so I may have mentioned it to you too. Thanx for stopping by!

Nice to see ya here Phantom. Maybe I'll see you at HeritageCon!

I really wanted to use the silver one, but it didn't have enough donor parts, plus the White one is what the "before" looks like, so I'll use the White model. 

2v2uRd715xAnAAS.jpg

In addition to a lot of scratch building, I'll be using this LM update set from New Ware, Resin and PE.

I've build these kits, in every scale, from every manufacturer.

i'm fascinated with the Engineering that went into this Vehicle!

LMcollectionlo-rez.jpg

I'll be removing this Quad plus one more.

2v2uRd7HWxAnAAS.jpg

I drilled a couple of holes with the Pin Vise and then sawed the quad with an Xacto saw blade.

2v2uRd7ZqxAnAAS.jpg

The gluing by the previous builder wasn't that good and the top came off ... BONUS! It made it easier to saw the Quad.

2v2uRd72GxAnAAS.jpg

The Ascent Stage will get a lot of attention too. The Antenna, the front Hatch, the 2 remaining thrusters will get removed and the seams will get sanded ... and much more!

2v2uRdYSLxAnAAS.jpg

Removing the Hatch. 

2v2uRdYzgxAnAAS.jpg

And the seams ... take a peek at the GAP at the little thruster housing just below the window. It always makes me smile when I read one of you aircraft builders whining about a tiny seam ...     :crying2: this is what I'm used to. Now this ... THIS is a seam!!

A newly released kit from Revell, uses this exact mould ... just about ALL the Real Space kits use old, old moulds. But, this is where the fun is for me!

2v2uRdY4FxAnAAS.jpg

Two embossings on the top had to be sanded down

2v2uRdYkGxAnAAS.jpg

This webbing needs to be removed

2v2uRdYLnxAnAAS.jpg

Just using a saw and chisel blades

2v2uRdYnCxAnAAS.jpg

I've got the Ascent Stage's black paint in Brake Fluid, but it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe it was Acrylic Paint ... man, rebuilding these already 'built' models, is a hoot!

This build shouldn't take too long ... thanx for taking a peek guys!

Edited by K2Pete

The kit's Landing Gear needs some beefing up and some details added. But first I needed to see if I could remove the Landing pads without breaking them ... and ... could not. So I'll come up with another fix. I just snipped the pads off the struts.

These are the replacement pads ... 

2v2uRd7VjxAnAAS.jpg

I'm starting to build up 4 missing facets. This kit was designed using a Grumman prototype that still needed to go through many revisions. So these corrections to the kit are totally expected. You can see that I use just bits of styrene roughly fit together. As long as I've got a face that I can use as a guide for sanding, I'm good to go.

2v2uRd7LFxAnAAS.jpg

I shim gaps with styrene sheet, in this case .005" pieces around the thruster housing.

2v2uRd74yxAnAAS.jpg

The four facets at the top of the Ascent Stage. I just roughly cut bits of styrene, glue them and then will fine-tune the shape with Trimming, Filing and Sanding. And they'll look just fine! This Stage will need, and get, the most work.

This is going quickly ... I've spent just about 6 hours over 2 days on this ... this may get done in the next 2 weeks!  :thumbsup:

Thanx for taking a peek!

Edited by K2Pete

To thicken up the too-thin Landing Gear struts, I slice a piece of styrene tubing and slip it over the strut.

2v2uRdRuNxAnAAS.jpg

2v2uRdREjxAnAAS.jpg

The ball on the tip is where the landing pad will be CA'd

2v2uRd78NxAnAAS.jpg

The Modularized Equipment Storage Area ( MESA ) is next, It'll be hinged.

2v2uRdsLNxAnAAS.jpg

After 2 sessions with Easy-Off, the paint still didn't come off ... I'll try a 3rd time.

2v2uRd7ryxAnAAS.jpg

This is coming along nicely ... but the Ascent Stage will be the one that'll take the most time.

Edited by K2Pete

It's only 'delicate' due to the 1/48 scale ... my style is to build pretty coarse and file and sand. Some other builders measure and cut very precisely and just attach the finished item. Me, I slap it on and refine it more on the model. 

Patching the removed webbing with .005" styrene sheet as well as building up the two bottom corners using .020" styrene.

2v2uRdR7GxAnAAS.jpg

The 2 resin corner pieces didn't fit this kit because they were designed for the later Monogram Lunar Module ... so I had to scratch build the 2 corners.

2v2uRdRcnxAnAAS.jpg

With all the handling and sanding, the cement bond failed and the 2 halves came apart. This is great. There are 2 items that needed access to the interior and I was hesitant to take it all apart ... but NOW!!  :yahoo:

2v2uRdRbLxAnAAS.jpg

Now I can drill out the overhead window

2v2uRdRBCxAnAAS.jpg

... and done

2v2uRdRVqxAnAAS.jpg

The construction is just about done, now it's just a matter of CA on the Resin and PE. 

There's still a lot to do, but for about 6 days work ... this is going really smoothly!

Edited by K2Pete

Thanx a lot Kurt H. 

The "eyes" need to be enlarged a bit. The toothpick is pointing to the pencil line guide. I'll just file it open. And I had to patch a little bit more too. That'll get filed and sanded.

2v2uRdRN5xAnAAS.jpg

New "eyes". I also backed the "eyes" with a triangular piece of styrene. 

2v2uRdRdFxAnAAS.jpg

The overhead hatch was a little too big to accept the resin hatch, so I enlarged it and placed a piece of PVC tubing.

2v2uRdRMnxAnAAS.jpg

I also added a .005" bit to fill a little gap.

2v2uRdRnGxAnAAS.jpg

The front antenna housing needed a little beefing up

2v2uRdRGWxAnAAS.jpg

... and sanding's done, so I can now place all the resin and PE pieces. 

2v2uRdsA5xAnAAS.jpg

Putting in all the aftermarket pieces should be a breeze. This stage is almost there.

Thanx for looking in guys!

Edited by K2Pete

Looking great! I have a Monogram Anniversary edition of this in the stash that I picked up at Kennedy Space Center many moons ago (pun intended...LOL!). I will follow your progress and take notes.

Cheers!

Don, your kit may be the newer, more accurate kit. This one is the first kit, circa 1968, with foldable legs. The newer kit, which the New Ware Update was designed for, has fixed legs.

Crowe-t, Phantom and Airmechaja ... thanx a lot guys!

The Webbing that I removed earlier was replaced by a support strut

2v2uRdPQGxAnAAS.jpg

Getting' there. But with all the handling the Upper Docking Drogue, which was a PVC tube popped out and down into the assembly. So, I guess I found out that PVC and styrene cement don't bond well. I had a spare resin piece and built it up again and glued this new sub-assy back in.

2v2uRdPpdxAnAAS.jpg

Almost ... almost done with this Ascent Stage. The Vent hoods are being attached ... about 18 of 'em

2v2uRdP9nxAnAAS.jpg

Out of sight is the Equipment Bay Radiator

2v2uRdsdyxAnAAS.jpg

With the new Upper Docking Drogue and some Antennae

2v2uRdPAWxAnAAS.jpg

The camera didn't wanna focus ... @#%$!! camera ... but this shows little .020" rods being inserted into the Thruster Bells for reinforcement

2v2uRdPegxAnAAS.jpg

And ... done. The Eva handrail, Antennae, Thrusters ... all added on.

Phantom, this was the delicate part. Those Antennae and other details really tested my patience.

2v2uRdP3gxAnAAS.jpg

Port Side

2v2uRdstjxAnAAS.jpg

Aft

2v2uRdswdxAnAAS.jpg

Starboard

2v2uRdsk5xAnAAS.jpg

And top view

2v2uRdsSFxAnAAS.jpg

So this is as far as I go on this. No Paint, No foil, that model is already done. This model is to show all the parts and materials I used to build it up. It'll be displayed along with the completed model.

But now, the Descent Stage needs some work ... here I'm thinning the toy-like hinge joints on the landing gear

2v2uRds8MxAnAAS.jpg

Notice the Downlock PE that was added

2v2uRdsLNxAnAAS.jpg

And ... you're up-to-date. This model should be done by the end of the week.

Thanx for taking a peek!

Edited by K2Pete

I agree Kurt H. ... the little details ... tedious, yet really satisfying!

The Descent Stage is my focus now and here I'm using Aluminum sheet, from a Lasagna pan to make some coverings. The pink piece is a Post-It note pattern

2v2uRdPTdxAnAAS.jpg

These little pieces are wrapped around the braces ... the toothpick points to the braces

2v2uRdPhNxAnAAS.jpg

The Pallets for the Lunar Rover, LRV, get placed on another Quad. And the RTG, Radioisotopic Thermoelectric Generator, needs to be built.

2v2uRdk1yxAnAAS.jpg

The Pallet separations are installed. The Pallets go between 'em, but won't be shown on this model.

The Battery has also been installed to the left

2v2uRdkHNxAnAAS.jpg

The back of the Rover, LRV, is where these pallets would go. The little Rover was built a few years ago as my very first scratch build.

2v2uRdkUqxAnAAS.jpg

The parts for the RTG ... Copper wire, Aluminum sheet and styrene

2v2uRdkBMxAnAAS.jpg

The built RTG and the Landing Probes on the Landing Pads. On the Porch, you can just barely see the 'D' Ring near the handrail.

2v2uRdkoNxAnAAS.jpg

Filing down the toy-like hinges on the landing gear

2v2uRdP5jxAnAAS.jpg

A dry fit. Plume deflectors under the Reaction Control Thrusters need to be built and installed yet. It's close to completion!

2v2uRdPndxAnAAS.jpg

I decided to use another kit's Plume Deflectors and these were what I have. Bent and distorted pieces. I contacted Revell for replacement parts and ... was denied. So, I'll hafta rebuild 'em.

2v2uRdkPjxAnAAS.jpg

Just a couple more things to do and it'll be done. Hopefully in the next couple days.

Thanx for looking in !

Edited by K2Pete

Phantom ... you have no idea just how delicate it is ... you can't just pick it up to work on it. You have to place the fingers so it doesn't bend any PE or dislodge a piece of thin styrene ... yes, it's a real PITA ... but, it's done.

The Plume Deflectors are installed with lots of fiddling around to get 'em to fit. The original kit, circa 1968, didn't include 'em, so I had to adjust these ...

And the Landing Pads have been CA'd.

2v2uRdk5qxAnAAS.jpg

2v2uRdkG2xAnAAS.jpg

2v2uRdkMgxAnAAS.jpg

And with the Ascent Stage attached ...

2v2uRdiUdxAnAAS.jpg

2v2uRdieqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2uRdiK5xAnAAS.jpg

2v2uRdiBdxAnAAS.jpg

2v2uRdiRjxAnAAS.jpg

The appeal of this kit, and the challenge, was to build this one because the Landing Gear fold. The newer kits depict the First Landing on the Moon. So to get the legs built up and still fold ... is key. The entire model consists of the LM in the Rocket's 3rd stage, and the legs need to be folded. 

This was a nice and quick build. I'll post some pix in the Completed Builds folder with a comparison between the original kit and this one.

Now, it's onto the BIG Shuttle for this GB!

Edited by K2Pete

Kurt H. ... thanx very much!

Crackerjazz and Phantom ... it's a little rough, you'll see it, hopefully, at HeritageCon. Not a piece of jewellery by any stretch. It's intended to be covered up by foils ... but I appreciate it!