Enterprise Bridge - 1/24 Scale Scratch

Jumping in with both feet. May not make it to the other shore but I'm gonna give it a good try. This is a project I halfheartedly started several years ago and gathered resources for and actually started cutting a little plastic and then put it aside. This GB is the perfect time to bust it out and give it a real go. I'm going to try to scratch build a 1/24 scale Enterprise (or some starship) bridge. IF I can find figures easy enough to modify I'll add a crew but otherwise it's just going to be the bridge itself. Here is the parts I have already made and the layout of the plans. I'll try to post more as I get more laid out and going on it.

IMAG0862_zpsnu6xkumg.jpg

IMAG0863_zpsibsrzjel.jpg

IMAG0864_zpsc6atdgto.jpg

Sorry the pics are a bit blurry but ya get the idea.

Thanks and wish me luck. And as always, critiques, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Bill

Edited by niart17
On 1/3/2017 at 3:36 PM, niart17 said:

Thanks guys. I hope I can actually pull it off. Ideally it will be lit to the 9's and possibly have sound...but I know I almost always over aim my shot. Completion at all would be good enough for me.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Just spit-balling here.  Hope I'm not intruding on the creative process. 

I'm thinking lots of sheet styrene (obviously) but....given the construction of the actual set back in the time of shooting, maybe a miter setup to make sure the angles of all the panels are correct.  Fiber-optics are your friend and cheaply available on eBay. 

Just like the actual set, you can make each section "wild", which means you can slide it in/out as needed. 

Wondering if there's going to be a working viewscreen in the front.  DVD's of alien ships passing by or scenes of Balok or Mark Lenard as the Romulan commander...."It is....not our way....."   *Kablooie*

The possibilities, though not endless are numerous and the whole thing is very exciting and interesting!  Have at it.  I'll bet once you get one sectional done, the others will be easier.  But doing it the (what is it, ten or twelve?) times may prove to be tiresome.  

Edited by VADM Fangschleister
9 hours ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

Hey Bill,

Just spit-balling here.  Hope I'm not intruding on the creative process. 

I'm thinking lots of sheet styrene (obviously) but....given the construction of the actual set back in the time of shooting, maybe a miter setup to make sure the angles of all the panels are correct.  Fiber-optics are your friend and cheaply available on eBay. 

Just like the actual set, you can make each section "wild", which means you can slide it in/out as needed. 

Wondering if there's going to be a working viewscreen in the front.  DVD's of alien ships passing by or scenes of Balok or Mark Lenard as the Romulan commander...."It is....not our way....."   *Kablooie*

The possibilities, though not endless are numerous and the whole thing is very exciting and interesting!  Have at it.  I'll bet once you get one sectional done, the others will be easier.  But doing it the (what is it, ten or twelve?) times may prove to be tiresome.  

Not intruding at all. That's the whole point of posting here, to get ideas and suggestions along the way. By all means throw 'em out there!

I'd considered doing it in sections like the real set and perhaps making them detachable, but I think that may be more work and materials having to have two bulkheads per intersection. So I think I'm just going to make it one continuous structure. I plan on going up to just where the "bubble" ceiling would be so you should be able to see inside easy enough, though I'll likely test it all out with cardstock first to make sure it will go together and look like I want.

As for lighting and such, I have different degrees of difficulty I'm planning for so if i can't do EVERYTHING I want I have fall back plans along the way. At a minimum I want to have lit up panels and back lit screen shots for the monitors. the captains chair and helm will also have lights (likely fiber optic) The next step up would be having blinking patterns on the control buttons, the alert lights and various screens. The next step would be some sort of video screen for the main viewer. It's size is 2 7/8" X 1 3/4" so hopefully I can find something with a smallish screen to play vid files. I have an old smart phone I may be able to figure something out to work with. The all out plan would be for blinking lights in realistic patterns, video monitors for the main as well as a few of the smaller screens that did something on the real show. an elevator lighting system that has some sort of simulated motion floor indicator, sounds and ability to switch between yellow alert and red alert with appropriate sound settings. THAT is probably way more than I can chew so It will probably be somewhere between stage 1 and 2.

Keep the ideas coming. I hope to start actually cutting out panels soon.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Sounds interesting.  I can agree with no removable sections for simplicity's sake. 

Was just down to the walmart and they have in the TV section some (relatively) inexpensive and small DVD players.  Not sure if they will play USB-stored stuff or not...didn't look that closely.  However, the small screen is close to ideal and....and....do a search on eBay with the size screen you need and maybe there's one out there that's close.  Even still, you could play shots on it that are "cropped" through a computer program to be the right size if the actual screen is too big. 

The construction should go fairly quickly, I would think.  It's the thousands of little holes to put in the lights and special effects.  One thing I learned about fiber optics, the plastic kind, is that you can hold the end close to an open flame and it will form a small half-circle "lens" by doing this.  Thicker FA yields larger lenses..and they do magnify the light coming through.  Also, a coat of Tamiya clear flat (which is actually used to mix in with Tamiya paints to lessen the gloss) will make the lens end hazy, providing an indirect lighting effect. In other words, the whole lens will glow instead of just when you look at it directly from head-on. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...