Wessex HU.5 Royal Navy, 1/48

Here I join with the Italeri kit of the Wessex HU.5 in 1/48 scale. Will be a troop transporter from the Royal Navy in green.

Some months ago i already started in the cockpit using Eduard interior set. That' s all up to now and so your GB is a good reason to put the kit on the workbench again and finish it.

31704528320_633e49b37a.jpg

32040991526_33f8863c9e.jpg

Now working on the cargo room. The seats urgently need seatbelts, thanks to Eduard. Also have to close the in the rear wall, use the aluminium cover of a fresh cheese box.

Edited by tobiK
On January 4, 2017 at 5:05 AM, tobiK said:

.... use the aluminium cover of a fresh cheese box.

Now, that's what I call Re-purposing! Hope to see some pics of this cheese box cover!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a small progress. I found a good photo walkaround in the net and so I decided to add some extra detail in the cockpit and cabin. I want to have the doors and slide windows in open position. The fiddly PE stuff kept me busy.

31542619053_e2654c04a5.jpg

Here you can see the source of the aluminium sheet...it is thicker than the usual household foil and has tiny structure.

31976799620_ddd9a45143.jpg

IKEA helo furniture...

31542619793_58c64e39d8.jpg

almost done: detailing the interior wall. Only left side. right side will be hard to se later. Somehow I regret not have taken the Eduard interior set to get a better wall structure.

• 2 weeks later...

You are right, I am also envious to all those cracks and freaks who can do that magic scratch building! SOmetimes a mystery to me how they make it....those plumbering I do is just for beginners. 

Slow progress, meanwhile I painted the pimped inner wall. This time I try to use oils. I have to say it works really well! But I am afriad it will take ages now until that paint is dry!? So I build a small red fire extinguisher to put it over the right pilot's seat and a rotor break control lever to add the the overhead IP.

Also I found a nice book in my library: 4+ publication "Westland Wessex" (very helpful...to get more confused!)

31714298693_f92109646c_z.jpg

Edited by tobiK

Meanwhile the oils for the interior detail painting are dry. In one picture I saw the black-yellow "Emergency Exit" placards over the windows and the striped handles to open these windows so the crew can escape from the helicopter. Adding some styrene parts and paint black n yellow was the one part to bring more life on the grey wall. But as I have no decals nor have I ever made "homemade" decals, the "Emercency Exit" was a challenge. I played with the "paint" programm and printed the placards in different sizes on office paper. After chosing the size they were cut of with a sharp X-acto blade and fixed on the wall with white glue. Well, better than nothing! Tamiya gloss coat on, washing with AK landing gear wash and matt cote from Revell. Voila:

32637080955_ea425f10e2_z.jpg

here a close up of the busy wall (the right fuselage interior was ignored because you will hardly see that sie later):

32596492806_3bdb5944f1.jpg

Interior compartment was glued now and is waiting to be fixed to the right fuselage half (there are the alingment points for proper positioning) and next step will be the "marriage" of the two fuselage sides. The overhead panel is also ready. I added some curly cables and the rotor brake lever as well as an "important" bundle of cables. Ufff....

31794160434_e7a75f7bf4.jpg32596492346_4bf7afc61a.jpg32514577601_f4921d31d3.jpg32596492986_cb548fd12f.jpg

P.S. excuse for bad photo quality as I only have the mobile phone cam here... :-(

Edited by tobiK

Uhhh Winnie!!! Tough kit!? Why couldn't you give me that warning earlier? Once i read the first reviews and oob build reports, they said it is a nice and good kit! 

But you are more than right! Today I fought with the plastic parts, had to move the hot air tube in the passenger cabin, and tried to close the fuselage, add the nose, belly piece...hard work, indeed! filling small gaps and renew panel lines and rivets will be the future.

Here it is...

32274037630_7b9e88348c_z.jpg

• 1 year later...