F-4J Phantom II, 1/48 by Zoukei-Mura

Yep, that`s the famous Z-M kit in the form of a Vietnam-themed VF-92 Silver King. That`s what i was dealing with during the autumn as well. Zoukei-Mura invited me to participate in the new SWS Phantom`s Concept Note. One of the presented builds is of this... beauty, gorgeousness, awesomeness... Okey, okey, i could say a lot of things for this kit (plan to make a kit review soon), but in a word: the best 1/48 kit that i`ve ever assembled and it turned out my best model so far. I built it as a pure classical standalone model - just glued and painted... well, and with extensive wiring in the cockpit/gear bays, and the seatbelts are pieces of paper tape. And texturising, riveting... The complete built is reviewed in the F-4J Concept Note. I`ll post some pics like a walkwaround, but i`m still just waiting for the Concept Note to arrive and to see which exact pics are included. Can`t wait to read it... :) Until then:

20170103_122327.jpg

20170103_122844.jpg

Now about the texturising. It was like for the first time, cause i did it for the first time in 1/48. The scratches were much lighter and more subtle, while the plastic itself is from a very high quality - it is relatively harder and thus is way easier for sanding. So the "textures" were much "smaller" than in the 1/32nd Strike Eagle, and thus are way difficult to distinguish. But they are there. I tried to capture the areas where they are yet more prominent - around the tail area and over the wings, otherwise the entire model is texturised. These pics are at night and with a torch light at a very shallow angle. Color shifts according to the angle, and most of the "slightly darker things" are actually from the texturising and not from the preshading. Of course some of them are preshading effects. These are the most noticeable pics that i could make:

photo_1_2.jpg

photo_3_2.jpg

photo_4_1.jpg

photo_2_2.jpg

At normal daylight and after that much weathering, it`s basically invisible:

photo_1_3.jpg

However, at certain angle it is. Here the upper areas of the stabilators with the rivet lines... this is not preshading :)

photo_2_3.jpg

photo_3_3.jpg

Edited by my favs are F`s

Hi, absolutely flawless - the best 1/48 kit I've ever assembled (I don't have that many... Definitely less than 20). I saw a few videos of the new Tamiya 1/48 Tomcat and I could say that in terms of fitting - they are just about the same. For example when you attach the radome to the nose - the seam line disappears by itself, and there is no need of filling sanding at all, of course if there is no excessive glue/leakage. The canopy - the first time when I didn't touch any clear parts with a sandpaper. Although, the assembly of the cockpit is not the easiest one (a lot of parts, a lot of thinking). The engines were a little difficult but that was because of my complimentary adjustments of the nozzles to the afterburner chambers (they're parts of the engines). The intakes outer casings at first glance looked very problematic for gluing them justly, but after a little bit more test fits I merged them realy good. The landing gears are tricky, but numerous alignment tabs of the MLGs make them absolutely straight and at the right angle. The decals I used were different, Furball, but I also used a few small decals from the oob decal sheet and they were perfect. 

Some minuses:

- I forgot to drill the holes for the ECM nodes and the antennas on the lower fuselage/wings, :) which made their perfect alignment way more difficult. In brief, the lower side of the model has plenty of tiny holes to be drilled at a very early stage of the build, and they should not be forgotten,cause their exact spots are highlighted and are accessible only from the 'rough' inner side of the plastic parts.

- The nozzles looked like nozzles from a 1/72 kit. I literally edited them by scribing, scratching, scrubbing, thinning, riveting, carving, sanding.

- The outer wings and the stabilators have quite a tricky fit. They have flat tabs which fit loose with the wings, and respectively with the fuselage. And exactly the stabilators and the outer wings have to be glued at a very precise angle.

- About the missiles - they are good, but I've seen much better oob missiles.

- The trailing edges of the stabilators and of the vertical stabilizer are transparent, I mean very thin. Like they should be. This is actually a great +, but in my case, I use the old school humbrol glue, and I had to apply it quite further inside the thin edges in order to avoid melting them. I suppose that they are dedicated especially for a super thin glue.

- the rivets are very very fine and very good looking, but are not exactly everywhere. So I added at least twice the amount of the molded rivets.

- the canopies need the slightly thicker 'triangular' frames along the lower longer sides.

- the gunsight barely fits between the hood and the windshield brace frame, but thankfully it's not very visible.

- the struts of the engines that lead to the front compressor bearing are quite thick, so they have to be slightly thinned, but they are also not clearly visible.

and that's pretty much all that I can remember. Overall, all the minuses that I mentioned (except the nozzles) are not exactly minuses... something like tiny pebbles during a walk on a fine sand beach... :))))

Hope that was useful. Cheerz.

Edited by my favs are F`s