Seasprite help needed

G'day Seasprite  experten, I am after some info.

I am currently building a Polish SH-2G for the Helicopter GB, but I imagine the questions will be relevant to all Seasprite /Super Seasprite variants.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/296686-polish-navy-kaman-super-seasprite/

1. Can the aft left cabin door (the one next to the sensor operator) be opened normally, i.e. is it a normal sliding door or does it have to be removed like an access panel by removing screws fasteners etc?.

I would like to pose mine slid back if this is possible/normal.

DSCN3955_zps9fbniuj7.jpg

DSCN3956_zps1n7nosdz.jpg

2. Secondly, some ordnance questions. I would like to have a large external tank and the towed MAD sensor on the right side.

I would like to add a Mk.46 torp on the left side, would this mean that an external tank would not be carried on the left, just the torp?

3. I have seen various tail configs for air launched Mk.46 torps. There is a small circular para pack fitted behind the screws. Do the screws(props) remain exposed or is there some sort of tubing fitted over these. I have seen some aftermarket resin torps that have a type of round shrouding over the screws but I could not find pics with this device fitted,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

No expert, but I think the sliding door is limited to UH/HH-2 and not done on SH-2. I won't say can't just not probable.

UH-2_Seasprite_HC-7_over_the_Tonkin_Gulf

UH-2_HC-7_lifts_off_from_USS_Sterett_(DL

Can't help on 2 or 3. Best of luck on the build.

HTH

1 hour ago, RotorheadTX said:

No images with fish, but here's one slinging a Penguin...

02748_zpsl9dlawpf.jpg

Sliding door as well.

Thanks,

The thing is, the RAN SH-2G's did not have Sonbuoy equip in the rear cabin. The door on these is a different style door (window in the middle) rather than the modified door with the sonobuoy cover. The window on this door is on the left side not centred. Still, the door rails are present so i am going to assume that the door can still be slid open.

As for the tin fish, I may end up just installing two jugs and the MAD sensor, as I have seen pics of this config in flight, so it must be kosher. perhaps I will display a torp next to the chopper for interest.

cheers,

Pappy

• 3 weeks later...

If you are building a Mk-46 torpedo, it would have a Mk31 air stabiliser if prepped for SH-2 use. The blades of the props remain exposed, although they are held from rotating by a large O ring looped around them and wired to the retaining screw for the air stabiliser. This wouldn't be noticeable in 1/48 though!

There is a slightly different configuration for the arming wires depending on whether it is prepped for the inboard or outboard pylons.

• 11 months later...

Hi Folks,

I'm also considering building the Kitythawk SH-2G but I'd like mine to have Mavericks on the rails. I don't think Poland has Mavericks so that leaves me with NZ. My question is what is the rear  interior layout of a New Zealand Seasprite? Externally they don't appear to have the sonar gear so can  I take it that they don't have the sonar operators station in the cabin? Do they just have a cargo seat layout?

Regards,

Joe

I'm not 100% sure how the SeaSprite doors work, but it seems to me that if you had the sonobuoy launchers installed, there's no way you can slide that door open. I can't recall the exact length, but IIRC they stick out at least a meter into the cabin.