Spook EF-14A "Shadowcat"

13 hours ago, FM-Whip said:

Officially an AN/FLR-9....

I thought AN/FLR-9 was USAF.  If this is at/near a Navy base wouldn't it be AN/FLR-10 ?

Not that anyone could tell the difference, just clarifying for my own understanding....

On 2017-01-04 at 3:06 PM, Jay Chladek said:

I don't see anything on this jet to indicate it is anything other than a standard F-14A. The antenna mounts look standard, it has an early IR sensor bulge on the nose and a standard gun mount with gun vent. Are we sure somebody wasn't just having fun zapping it with tail art?

I gave a clue in my un-edited reply.

On 2017-01-04 at 3:17 PM, Rex said:

That is exactly what happened, Jay.

I'll even call Whitey out in public and ask him if since he is a part of the Navair community,,,,,,how many times has he done this to a jet?

1, 2,,10 or 20 times, Whitey?

I only got caught twice,,,,,,,,so I deny all other claims of my guilt. Lol, my Uncle keeps forgetting he told me about it, so every couple of holidays he drags out the Poloraid of the Silver Eagle Phantom with Boondockers painted on the Eagle's feet. He did that while with -314, in country, no less. Karma got him, though, his next Phantom squadron was -115, lol.

I wasn't ever caught although one EC-135 Aircraft Commander demanded a formal apology from my squadron commander after we zapped his aircraft. We zapped his aircraft while it was getting an engine change after an engine fire. The crew changing the engine left a bag of screws in the intake. During the engine run they were sucked in. So they needed another engine shipped.

The AC flipped out when he saw the giant beaver holding his appendage. He was already stressed his aircraft caused delays  in the scheduled cruise missile tests.

A week later we zapped our Prime Ministers plane with the same stencil of the beaver, right next to the entry door. It was on the news but no one looked for our heads or even asked who did it.

12 hours ago, habu2 said:

I thought AN/FLR-9 was USAF.  If this is at/near a Navy base wouldn't it be AN/FLR-10 ?

Not that anyone could tell the difference, just clarifying for my own understanding....

My bad - if US Navy it's most probably an AN/FRD-10.  FLR-9s were used by USAF and US Army.  All part of the Wullenweber family of CDAs.