Early F/A18-A decals for Midway and Coral Sea? 1/48

Hello all

Are there any 1/48 aftermarket decal sheets around for ealy F/A18s that were deployed on the USS Coaral Sea and USS Midway? I am toying with the idea of starting such a project once my Tamiya Tomact is done...

thanks a lot

Uwe

PS: The new Kenetic F/A18-A...would that contain all parts for such an early bird?

I'm sure Superscale did decals for the Coral Sea squadrons, with CVW-13 AK tailcodes, they certainly did in 1/72 and I'm sure they were released in 1/48 too, and I'm pretty certain they also did the the Midway squadrons too.

Just did a quick eBay search for Superscale and sheet 48-333 has markings for VFA-136 & 137, sheet 48-346 has lo-vis VFA-132, sheet 48-360 has CAG  a/c for VFA-137 and sheet 48-377 has the CAG a/c for VFA-132 all with AK tailcodes, not sure if they are all from same cruise though. Looks like VFA-131 is not covered in the Coral Sea era. 

Maybe someone else can add to this.

Edited by Ant Phillips

Wow...thanks a lot! That's what I was looking for...will start a little shopping tour. Let's just hope the decals can still be used...I guess they are from the time when those birds were active...

thanks a lot

Uwe

Don't worry about it being an error when you see early VFA-131 and -132 jets with "F-18A" above the BuNo on your decal sheets.

by VFA-136 and -137's addition to the Wing, I think the designation had changed over to "F/A-18A",,,,but, I would have to dig deep into unused F-18 notes to verify those dates.

I always think of VF-151 vigilantes when thinking of the Midway. Those are the markings in hi tech kit. Aeromaster 48-561 has the vigilantes markings for when They were on the constellation. I plan on cobbling those two sheets together to do a Midway bird. 

Microscale 48-313 has Navy and Marine Hornets from Coral Sea, as operated against Libya.  There were 1/72 sheets for the same subjects (72-540) as well as A's from Midway in the same era, but I can't confirm if the Midway birds were done in 48th (it was Microscale's usual practice but not absolute).