Here are some of the references I am looking at

Luke_F104_13273.jpg

104wU891C.jpg

then some are black 

maxresdefault.jpg

I will figure something out.  The frustrating part was having 1.2 trillion bottles of paint, but not the one I needed.

I checked  the hasegawa boxes of the F-104C and F-104J (both NMF). 

The C model has flat black (gunze 33) anti glare panel and aircraft grey radome (gunze 73).

The J has green anti glare (Gunze 309) and a mix of aircraft grey and white.

Sure, the kit manufacturers are not always 100% right but it can help as an orientation.

The OD will be here tomorrow, but I have been trying to finish up some long in progress classics, so for your viewing pleasure ... and inspiration

The very classic Monogram P-51D ... with microscale decals. This was a scribing and NMF test mule.  I took this picture after applying the last decal

IMGP8840-vi.jpg

And the previously shown F-5E

I applied a second round of dull coat today, and this one is ready for final assembly!

IMGP8841-vi.jpg

And will add that 906 was originally a 434th (Red) bird. When the 476th was established it became one of their birds and sported the slightly metallic Blue trim.

All the markings were removed in Spain during the winter of '59-60 when TAC headquarter mandated removal of all individual markings and added the TAC emblem and lightning bolts.

It was all going so well until the dreaded DECAL DISASTER

I had the national insignia break, but I was able to push the pieces together. The USAF broke up, not quite shattering, but the problem was most of the decal would release from the backing, but part would not, and it would break, and then continue to break. I coated the whole sheet with microscale decal film, which helped a little, but the red splash in front of the intake broke in to 4 pieces.

IMGP8854-vi.jpg

Not so bad you say?

look closely at this

not quite long enough and will not snuggle down on the spine

IMGP8853-vi.jpg

this looks like doo-doo to put it nicely. I even tried solvaset. what is next? muriatic acid?

at this point I have limited options

F-104C decals are not exactly easy to find. Victory Productions came out with the ultimate sheet when the Hasegawa kit was released back in like 99 or 2000 and if you can find it is megabucks

Caracals has an F-104C sheet, which I own but it does not have these awesome gaudy markings

I could use the kit decals from my hasegawa kit, but maybe they will not fit either

I could also use the monogram kit decals keeping in the spirit of this build but they are really plain and boring. 

I used to own a monogram 104 with these very markings, but I sold it long time back.

Oh well, I will figure out something.  I am getting close on this model.. It is a good feeling.

Edited by Kurt H.
typographical error
On 3/25/2017 at 7:29 AM, Kurt H. said:

4 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

I

I could also use the monogram kit decals keeping in the spirit of this build but they are really plain and boring. 

I used to own a monogram 104 with these very markings, but I sold it long time back.

Oh well, I will figure out something.  I am getting close on this model.. It is a good feeling.

I would just scratch off the decals area that did not settle and hand paint the rest of the stripe. Still looking good and fixable.

The areas that did not settle: make a cut with scalpel to remove the tension and add a tiny drop of future under those areas and try to glue the decal on by using future. when future gets sticky, press it on with cotton sticks. At least you reacted with micro liquid decal film, same as i would have done, too. Good luck with your zipper!

The decals were hosed. I am peeling off the stripes. The lack of F-104C USAF decals is disturbing. The victory productions sheet is scarce, and very expensive. the 479th is ripe for an enterprising decal artist to release!

I tested one of the monogram kit decals and it was fine, in fact even easier to work with and thinner than testors.

The kit markings are pretty boring.  I will figure this out eventually.

EDIT

I kept researching and I found a suitable sheet!  I will update the thread when it arrives! yay! problem solved.

Edited by Kurt H.
  • 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like the sheet i found was not actually available. bummer.

But after even more research I found plan C ... at hannants. so a decal sheet is winging its way across the atlantic ocean for this model.

• 2 weeks later...

The decals came in from Hannants but what I did not realise was I will need to paint red stripes on the fuselage and wings.

I do not fee like doing that, so after all this drama I will just go with the kit decals

here is where we are now

IMGP8958-vi.jpg

I started masking the intake lip and cone like on the box art, but it is not on the paint diagram, and there are pictures of F-104s with and with out the black on the lip. I do not like the way it looks so I will skip it. I will substitute some new stars and bars since the ones in the kit are out of registration. I hope to wrap up decalling soon

Thankfully there were not too many decals. I was able to finish decals in one session

IMGP9015-vi.jpg

IMGP9014-vi.jpg

The kit decals were actually nice.  They were thin, almost like microscale decals. I did have to substitute national insignias from the Furball "stars and bars" sheet, as the kit decals were very badly out of register. 

This was a lot better than expected for 40 year old kit decals. not a bit of trouble. Now, some monogram decals of the era are very thick,  but these are different. I guess they had different decal vendors back in the good old days.

any way, the decals do need several days to full dry and settle. In the mean time I will think about whether to give this one some kind of top coat.  For NMF a top coat can really flatten the contrast between the different metallic shades. 

Ok, now that I am done with the decals I have been working on the landing gear and ... the worst part of many aircraft builds ... the doors

Typical of many kits, there is no real positive location for the doors or any good place to glue ... so it is glue on the edge and hope for the best

DSC_0042-vi.jpg

I will let it set over night this way to ensure the glue sets

Edited by Kurt H.
19 hours ago, nspreitler said:

Looking good, a metal finish on these older kits is always a challenge.  Yours looks great.  

Thank you!

17 hours ago, phantom said:

I looks good, but I fear I have to point out an error. Your underwing markings are backwards. Lucky its undersides so no one will notice.

Oooops. I got confused with  the kit instructions. :crying:

And the model is done:

DSC_0082-vi.jpg

I will post more pictures in the gallery. I had one last hurdle ... and it was almost model ruining ... I used liquid mask on the canopy ... but I did not get complete coverage, so there were patches of alclad all over. I was able to get much of it off with a toothpick and rubbing alcohol, but the canopy is now kinda crappy, but the sections that were not painted were crystal clear. 

I also noticed only when reviewing the pictures the stab on the top of the tail is crooked. I think the MLG is crooked too as the model is leaning.

oh well. Try harder next time/.

Any way, I am out of shelf space, so I will need to add a shelf or start culling the herd. 

Edited by Kurt H.
  • 1 month later...