1/48 Hobby Boss Su-30MKK

I'm worki.g on their Su-27 at present, and it is a fair to above average kit, in my estimation so far. There are some issues with accuracy, and finesse of molding. It's way ahead of the Academy kit though, and the Su-30 will also find it's way to my bench! I hope they do some of the canard jets.

M

What do you think Ken; did they fix the vertical stabs for the 48 kit?

Although they have shown it before; it is still shocking just how horrible that boxart is. Why would anyone pay for that work.

I know - rivet counting before it's even released ........ but.................................

It looks like they have just upscaled Trumpeters 1/72nd scale kit - complete with fins that are too short......

Note these are all 1/72 scale photos.....

Su-30MKK%20011.JPG

The fix in 1/72 scale.....

Su-30MKK%20019.JPG

No doubt some enterprising resin producer will oblige......

Ken

19 hours ago, Berkut said:

What do you think Ken; did they fix the vertical stabs for the 48 kit?

Although they have shown it before; it is still shocking just how horrible that boxart is. Why would anyone pay for that work.

I too think it's an odd looking picture, but a chap did an overlay on another forum and it all matches up, maybe just not the best picture to oick to convey the looks of this plane.

su30mkkOverlay.jpg

It's still got the pinched forward canopy like on the 1/32 kit.

They don't show the underside of the wing but I'd bet like the 1/32 it's only got 4 pylon stations, not the proper 6.

The box art seems to show a dual pylon on what would be the center wing station but I'm not seeing it in the kit parts nor the bombs or rocket launchers that would hang from it.

At least they didn't include MiG-29 pylons like on the 1/32 kit. Looks like they included Su-27 pylons for the Alamo and Archers. Though an improvement over MiG-29 pylons, these aren't really correct for the Su-30 as it has a long one piece stub-pylon rather than the 2 shorter stubs.

19 hours ago, Berkut said:

Looks like it was squished a bit...

Note that it shows two sizes of vents on the v-stabs where the kit has the same size on both. I think the box art was probably copied from a very badly distorted photo of a real plane.

:cheers:

1 hour ago, Parabat said:

I too think it's an odd looking picture, but a chap did an overlay on another forum and it all matches up, maybe just not the best picture to oick to convey the looks of this plane.

You posted this as I was typing my post above. So it was from a photo? Can you post the original?

Edited by Zactoman
Removed the pic. No need for duplicates!
11 minutes ago, Parabat said:

This is the pic the artist used, and here is the link to the discussion. 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235009597-148-sukhoi-su-30mkk-flanker-g-by-hobbyboss-released/

Wow, I feel bad for the guy. They picked a terrible picture for him to use.

Edit: I stretched the pic:

Stretch_zpsyqw3as1g.jpg

Edited by Zactoman
On 1/6/2017 at 9:00 AM, Berkut said:

Still miles ahead of the Bobcat Yak.  *That* is some garbage boxart.

I can't stop thinking about this kit. Now that the kit seems to be ready, approximately when do you think it will be available for purchase directly from China (exclude LuckyModel) or from the U.S.? Are we talking a few weeks, or could it be 5-6 months? 

52 minutes ago, MoFo said:

Didn't we have a "bad box art" thread a while back ?  I looked for it but couldn't find it, maybe it was at Z5...

10 hours ago, Parabat said:

su30mkkOverlay.jpg

Yes, i know "the artist" used a picture as basis but that possibly makes it worse in my mind. If he wants to be lazy and outright copy a picture then there isnt exactly a lack of far better Su-30 family pictures out there on the net, or Chinese Su-30MKK ones even.

3 hours ago, MoFo said:

No clue what you mean; Here i thought half dozen of fonts and font sizes is great to look at. :banana:

• 1 month later...

Oh, I succumbed to the temptation a while ago....

Mine will be in either the brown splinter demo scheme, or the wavy white light blue/gray demo scheme.

I also have the Wolfpack correction sets for the Academy Su-30 which I'm thinking I will use on this kit....

M

Edited by Matt Walker

Matt, I believe you are building the 1/48 HB Su-27, is that correct? Do you have a build log? I'm trying to find some build info to see how the kit is (27 or 30 look to be similar construction wise). 

If not, can you comment on the buildability of the kit? Any paint points (part fit, part breakdown, injection molding quality, plastic quality, surface details etc? Looks pretty straightforward from the instructions but any observations/comments you have would be great. 

Really?  Just LOOK at it?  It's *awful*!

1023002-21503-79-720.jpg

The photo is terrible.  (Srsly?  A cheesily photoshopped model as your box art?!?)

The colours are terrible.  They do not work together.  At all.

The fonts are terrible.  Each textual element has a different font, including both Helvetical AND Arial(!!!).  And the font that (I can only assume) they meant to look "Russian" is actually more "Wild West".

The layout is terrible.  Both in terms of density (negative space is your friend) and alignment (NOTHING is).

The layout is really, really terrible.  Spacing is inconsistent.  Capitalization is inconsistent.  It's just a bunch of stuff slapped on top of a crappy image.

The kerning is terrible.  They even screwed up the kerning of their logo.

There is seriously not a single redeeming quality about it.  Everything is bad, and wrong, and terrible.

To be fair though, it IS better than their first draft:

Yak_28_1.jpg

Edited by MoFo
8 hours ago, Janissary said:

Matt, I believe you are building the 1/48 HB Su-27, is that correct? Do you have a build log? I'm trying to find some build info to see how the kit is (27 or 30 look to be similar construction wise). 

If not, can you comment on the buildability of the kit? Any paint points (part fit, part breakdown, injection molding quality, plastic quality, surface details etc? Looks pretty straightforward from the instructions but any observations/comments you have would be great. 

I'm working on it right now. the fit of the main fuselage parts is fantastic. and for the most part everything goes together really well. the intakes needed a little persuading to get into place

DSC_8355-600x364.jpg

a couple of small annoyances are the design of the nose gear, and the stabilators.

the nose gear is designed so that it had to be attached early on in construction. I had to modify mine a bit so that it could be added after paint.

the stabilators can only be posed in the neutral  position. if you want to pose then drooped then you will need to do a small bit of scratcbuilding.

here is where I am at now. I am not happy with the dark blue shade, so i might respray it.

DSC_8369-355x450.jpg

On 3/6/2017 at 6:28 AM, dylan said:

I'm working on it right now. the fit of the main fuselage parts is fantastic. and for the most part everything goes together really well. the intakes needed a little persuading to get into place

DSC_8355-600x364.jpg

a couple of small annoyances are the design of the nose gear, and the stabilators.

the nose gear is designed so that it had to be attached early on in construction. I had to modify mine a bit so that it could be added after paint.

the stabilators can only be posed in the neutral  position. if you want to pose then drooped then you will need to do a small bit of scratcbuilding.

here is where I am at now. I am not happy with the dark blue shade, so i might respray it.

DSC_8369-355x450.jpg

What Paints did you use?

Dylan, thank you, good to know that the kit is pretty good. The camo looks very nicely painted. I was content with my next build being the Hase F-18C, but now my mind is bombarded with the Tamiya Tomcat, this Su-30, and even an F1 car... I am trying to decide on something that would be a straightforward build with little or no AM and/or detailing. Both the Tomcat and the Hornet are major builds in my mind (have accumulated tons of refs pics for both and I am passionate) so perhaps I will go with this Su-30. Thinking Venezuela AF with Caracal decals...

I'm continually astounded by the amount of brain cells I commit to such inconsequential things in life, especially when my wife is busting my chops every night with the taxes, the yard, the kids, and the endless house projects... After 20 mins of ranting, she gets especially furious when I ask 'This one, or this one?'

8 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

What Paints did you use?

they are mixed from the Mig Su-33 paint set and tamiya acrylics. nothing is straight out of the bottle.  and i did respray the dark blue.

DSC_8372-600x375.jpg

Edited by dylan