1/48 Hobby Boss Su-30MKK

3 hours ago, dylan said:

they are mixed from the Mig Su-33 paint set and tamiya acrylics. nothing is straight out of the bottle.  and i did respray the dark blue.

DSC_8372-600x375.jpg

You can also try some lightened base or similar colors in a mottled fashion to tone down the contrast, then use the base color to go back over and blend if you think theres too much contrast.

12 hours ago, Janissary said:

Dylan, thank you, good to know that the kit is pretty good. The camo looks very nicely painted. I was content with my next build being the Hase F-18C, but now my mind is bombarded with the Tamiya Tomcat, this Su-30, and even an F1 car... I am trying to decide on something that would be a straightforward build with little or no AM and/or detailing. Both the Tomcat and the Hornet are major builds in my mind (have accumulated tons of refs pics for both and I am passionate) so perhaps I will go with this Su-30. Thinking Venezuela AF with Caracal decals...

I'm continually astounded by the amount of brain cells I commit to such inconsequential things in life, especially when my wife is busting my chops every night with the taxes, the yard, the kids, and the endless house projects... After 20 mins of ranting, she gets especially furious when I ask 'This one, or this one?'

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA... So damn true!

Bytheway, Please go for Su-30 Venezuela AF or that Ugandan AF  green camo!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought I'd ask my question here rather than starting a new thread:

I'm looking to build an in-flight Venezuelan Su-30MK2 using this HB kit. I am trying to understand what after market pilots are available. I saw a few modern Russian pilots, but can't tell if the Venezuelan helmets are the same as Russians, and if not, how different they are. Better yet, are there any 1/48 modern Venezuelan pilot figures?

If there is no true match, can you suggest the best starting point? I found this, but not sure if there are better options:

http://www.aires.cz/en/product/soviet-fighter-pilot-with-ejection-seat-for-su-27-flanker/13-2842/#lightbox/0/

TIA

Would the Hobby Boss Su-30MKK be my best starting point for building a Russian Su-30SM ?

I have the old SOL Su-33 conversion set I can steal the canard/lerx mods from - would that be the best way to go ?

1 hour ago, Piker38 said:

Would the Hobby Boss Su-30MKK be my best starting point for building a Russian Su-30SM ?

I have the old SOL Su-33 conversion set I can steal the canard/lerx mods from - would that be the best way to go ?

No, just because they have the wrong tails type.  the Old Sol set was intended to fit the Academy kit. so, no again, it won't be usable. if you wanted to use your Sol set, you better stick to an academy flanker, whatever you wanted to do with...

if you wanted to go the HobbyBoss route, you'll have to wait they come with a proper Su-27Ub instead of the Su-30Mkk...that should happen pretty soon...