Hello all,

For this GB I intended on building one of Monograms many classic 1/48 kits, their A-4E Skyhawk. The kit was originally released in 1977 and re-released numerous times since (although I haven't seen it released in a long while). My kit dates back to 1991 and its been kicking around in the stash since:

IMG_20170103_182823_zpsowafugre.jpg

The original kit was released with VMAT-102 "Firebirds" decals and VA-144 "Roadrunners" decals. I don't have markings for VA-144 but I do have an old Super Scale sheet with VMAT-102 markings for a 1969 bird that I will be using (fingers crossed they hold together...but I have other options as you can see in the photo above). Regarding photos, I apologize ahead of time for my lousy pictures.

Very small progress since starting on Monday:

IMG_20170103_200206_zps0ppbmcau.jpg

I am keeping this kit as OOB as possible in the spirit of the GB. However, there was/is no decal or molded on side instruments in the kit so I used decals from the Hasegawa A-4E kit just to give some "busyness" to the cockpit. In hindsight I should have applied the decals to Evergreen plastic first and then attached that to the cockpit sides to give some depth. Oh well such is life. As you all know the Scooters office is pretty small and not much will be seen once I close everything up. I painted all of the kits molded on belts, picked out what details were there and gave everything a light brownish-black wash. So what you see is what you get. Classic Monogram!

This weekend I hope to have the fuselage assembled, intakes completely installed, avionics hump assembled and attached and any seams cleaned up. Then I will focus on the wings and wing-to-fuselage join. I hope to have an update in a few days.

Thanks for looking all.

Kindest regards,

Don.

O.k all I didn't get as much accomplished in the last few days then I would have liked.  I am not sure what my problem is with this kit. When I had dry fit/taped the major assemblies together prior to starting it looked like a fairly hassle free build. But once I started putting glue to styrene the issues started cropping up. I needed to relocate the seat assembly a few mm's back from where I had originally installed it (see picture in post #1 above ^^^) so that it was properly located according to my references. Nothing difficult just time consuming...and mildly irritating. I also needed to add sprue spacers to widen the lower fuselage to help close a HUGE gap where the wing-to-fuselage assemblies met. Here is one spacer installed (I used 3 such spacers in total close to the pencil lines seen in the picture below):

IMG_20170109_194358_zpslyikiyh9.jpg

Notice the filler along the bottom...not great. Could be my fault though and not the kits.

Here she is with the major assemblies together and the filling and sanding process begun:

IMG_20170110_195333_zps6yzwdgbr.jpg

Again filler along the avionics hump, wing-to-fuselage joint (although the sprue spacers helped out here a great deal), nose where a step was present, and intakes where steps were present.

IMG_20170110_195043_zps9dzywk0r.jpg

Despite the filler though, very little of the raised panel lines have been lost. I am quite happy that the panel lines haven't been destroyed to be completely honest. I am trying to keep this build just as I would have 40 years ago and 40 years ago I would never have re-scribed them (...I STILL loath re-scribing!).

Well folks that's it. Nothing stellar or earth shattering. But its progress. I plan on sanding, filling, and priming by Saturday night.

Good luck on all of your builds!

Regards, Don

I've got one of these on the go at the moment too, and although I haven't joined the fuselage yet, from a dry fit, it looks like I'll be filing in similar positions, and yes I worked out I'm going to have to use spacers in the centre fuselage too.

I've also worked out that I need to put some plastic shims on the flat ledge just behind the nose undercarriage bay, to bring the front of the wing assembly up flush with the fuselage level. There are a couple of pins moulded inside the lower wing, but they don't seem to raise it high enough, although it may be that I've inadvertently reduced their height whilst cleaning up various edges.

Thanks fellas for the postings. Much appreciated. Even with the filling, sanding, sprue spacers etc this really isn't that bad a model. The cockpit is really lacking but all else isn't too shabby. And it is 40 years old  after all. Heck I remember back in the late 70's and 80's this kit being highly thought of by A-4 fans. Really, it probably wasn't until Hasegawa came out with their Scooters in the 90's that this kit became de-throned as thee A-4 kit too build. Anyways, filling and sanding continues, horizontal stabilizers to attach as well as the in flight refueling probe and one or two little bits and she'll be off to the priming rack. Should have an update by Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks again.

Cheers all!

16 hours ago, Don said:

Even with the filling, sanding, sprue spacers etc this really isn't that bad a model. The cockpit is really lacking but all else isn't too shabby. And it is 40 years old  after all. Heck I remember back in the late 70's and 80's this kit being highly thought of by A-4 fans. Really, it probably wasn't until Hasegawa came out with their Scooters in the 90's that this kit became de-throned as thee A-4 kit too build.

That's exactly my sentiments too, I picked up one, coincidentally the Monogram Hi-tech kit that you show in the first picture, and at roughly the same time, got hold of one of Eduard's re-boxed Hasegawa 'Vietnam Scooter' kits, the Eduard kit has a great choice of 5 or 6 marking options, but I couldn't justify buying another or paying the silly prices the Hasegawa kits go for evilBay to use them on.

I was so impressed with the simplistic but basic accuracy of the Monogram kit, that I've now picked up 3 more kits 1 original issue, 1 Blue Angel, and 1 Aggressor (all 3 cost me less than the cost of 1 Eduard or Hasegawa kit) and I will use the remaining Eduard decal options on them.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:46 AM, Ant Phillips said:

...I was so impressed with the simplistic but basic accuracy of the Monogram kit, that I've now picked up 3 more kits 1 original issue, 1 Blue Angel, and 1 Aggressor (all 3 cost me less than the cost of 1 Eduard or Hasegawa kit) and I will use the remaining Eduard decal options on them.

I agree completely. I have the Monogram OA-4M Skyhawk in the stash that I would build for this GB but it wasn't released until 1984 so it falls outside the time frame of the GB. I have read where some still consider the Monogram A-4 kits more accurate then the Hasegawa Scooters in terms of shape and outline. I have absolutely no idea if that's true or not as I tend to not get too caught up in those kinds of things. But its interesting. Regardless this Skyhawk kit is still a nice one and fun to build! The nice thing about these old Monogram kits is that they gave/give you a reasonably accurate model with a good amount of detail out of the box for a very affordable price. Even back in the late 70's when I would buy their kits they were well priced...and fun kits to build. Many modelers today are turned off by the raised panel lines but that's all we had back in the old days with Monogram, Revell, Airfix, Aurora, Frog, old Hasegawa, old Tamiya etc. So you either worked with/built the kits you had (raised panel lines and all) or you didn't model. Perhaps some of us older builders are not as hesitant to tackle a kit with raised panel lines because we've worked with them many times in the past. Who knows?

Back to this build, I will be priming today! I have the horizontal stabilizers and refueling probe attached, all seams filled, sanded and polished and I will be good-to-go for primer this afternoon. I love this part as its a major step in the building process...

Cheers for now all!

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Don

O.k. fellas fresh from the priming rack! She's starting to look like a Skyhawk now I'd say:

IMG_20170114_124441318_zpspinuw931.jpg

I am quite pleased with how the seams came out and with the preservation of the vast majority of the raised details:

IMG_20170114_124725_zpsiga7wnxy.jpg

I only have one or two very very minor areas to touch up seam wise which shouldn't present any major challenges nor be too time consuming:

IMG_20170114_124653_zpsy4ltbztl.jpg

Take care when attaching the horizontal stabilizers. They overlap internally and fit better with the port side stab overlapping the starboard stab...at least on my kit. Very good fit with only a touch of filler.

Well, after a shade over a week this is where I am. After I touch up the couple of minor seams I will let this sit as is for a couple days to let everything cure up. I will now focus on the pylons, landing gear, wheels, tanks and external stores...my least favorite parts of any build. I am toying with the idea of adding the pilot for nostalgia sake (?). I hope to have an update mid-week (Wednesday or Thursday). Honestly folks I am really enjoying this model.  Yes there was some filling, yes there was some sanding, yes I had to splice in some sprue to widen the fuselage to get a better fit where it met the wings but nothing beyond the capabilities of even a relative rookie modeler. Highly recommended model thus far!

Thanks for looking and commenting. Much appreciated. Good luck on all of your builds!

Cheers for now!

Thank you all for your views, kind words, and overall motivation assistance. It is much appreciated!

So I sat down to assemble the centerline external tank and noticed something odd... what's missing in this picture?

IMG_20170118_125102_zpsc4e3551j.jpg

O.k...that pretty much makes that tank un-useable. No worries, I will just use a centerline MER and two under-wing tanks (the wing tanks have been assembled and are ready for priming).  So I moved to the bombs and quickly rejected them. Some are warped, some are riddled with flash, and they just look terrible. So I will dig through the spares to see what I have.

I moved to the wheels...

IMG_20170118_125020_zpsxh1rp2cg.jpg

Now I'm in a bind. Worst case scenario I fill and sand and replace the bolts with evergreen or hopefully find aftermarket wheels. But I certainly can't use them "as is". *SIGH*

Well fellas, not the update I was hoping for but I thought that I would share my current struggles with you to let you all know why things have slowed down.

Work continues regardless.

Thank you all again for following along and your words of encouragement. Good luck on all of your builds!

Cheers!

Don.

4 hours ago, Don said:

I moved to the wheels...

IMG_20170118_125020_zpsxh1rp2cg.jpg

Now I'm in a bind. Worst case scenario I fill and sand and replace the bolts with evergreen or hopefully find aftermarket wheels. But I certainly can't use them "as is". *SIGH*

Hi Don, I've got the same wheel problem with at least one of my kits, so much so I invested in some Eduard Brassin wheels, I've had to modify the kit legs to take them as the Eduard wheels include the brake caliper which is already moulded as part of the Monogram gear leg, but it was just a few minutes work with a sanding stick to reshape them.

Bummer about the fuel tank though, and I echo your sentiments about the kit bombs, they bear only a passing resemblance to a Mk. 82 so I'm planning on using MER's and Mk. 82's from a Hasegawa weapons set. The Shrike missiles aren't much better either as the fit of the forward fins is non-existent, again it's Hasegawa to the rescue, but I will probably keep them for another build.

That tank is probably salvageable... glue a piece of styrene on the inside of the part, then assemble the tank halves.  you will have a hole backed by a sheet of styrene which can then be leveled up with putty.

The wheels .... maybe you can use them and use a wash to kind of disguise the mess there, but aftermarket wheels would be much easier.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:00 AM, Ant Phillips said:

It would seem the Monogram Skyhawk is making a comeback, there's a nice build article over on Hyperscale this morning, link >>>Here<<<

The Monogram A-4 has its fussy areas but all-in-all it really is a nice little kit. The builder in the link did a great job on his A-4! I see that the problems/issues that I am having with my Monogram "Scooter" seem to be indicative to the whole line. It always amazes me how modelers the world over come up with the same or similar solutions to the same problems. Good stuff!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Great build Don!  I have a couple of the Monogram Skyhawks in the past and have several more in the stash. I rate it a good value, with very decent detail (as you point out) for the money (less then half the cost of a Hasegawa Skyhawk.)  Bummer about the undershot plastic on the centerline tank and wheels.  Hmm. Maybe the mold is showing it's age?  Or more likely, that the molders are showing their age.  The only major flaw with the kit is the lack of engine face, but I plan on re casting a KMC set for my own use.  Keep up the great work!

Edited by Dutch
correct spelling / grammar
  • 1 month later...