I used them, on a F-86 I built 16 years ago.  They were nicely printed, and went on without any problems. They were easy to work with, and back then I did not even use setting solution.

In fact, I just finished up a sheet of their stars and bars, and they held up well for 15+ years, and still worked great.

They were probably among the most productive of decal makers, second only to Microscale/superscale.  In the early part of the last decade they seemed to have decals for every conceivable subject.  I have a few of their sheets in my decal hoard, subjects I hope to get to one of these days.  If they have a subject you want then I would see no reason not to find the sheet you seek. That can be the hard part, decals can get scarce pretty quick. 

Does anyone know what happened to Aeromaster decals? I seem to recall they got purchased by Squadron at some point. Then Eagle Strike decals seem to have similar packaging and the instruction sheets look like they were made by the same hand... are the two related? 

Yes, Eagle Strike and Aeromaster were produced by the same company using MicroScale for the decal printing. They also had two paint lines, which closed down,,,,,and then they had a third paint line that also closed up. (Aeromaster in the Floquil formula, Aeromaster in the Polly Scale formula,,,,,,,,then later on, Color of Eagles in the Vallejo formula)

Squadron had the decal instruction sheets up for  a while after they bought them out,,,,,,,,,and then one day the links dried up. The instructions were a useful reference for finding used sheets, for a while.

1 hour ago, scotthldr said:

If it's sheet 48-394, then there's one currently on eBay for a good price.

If it has VFA-151 X 2 then that's the sheet I am eyeing. Have not pulled the trigger on them yet. Been waiting to see what everyone had to say. I have never used AeroMaster before and did not want to buy something that was a rip off product.

I loved Aeromaster decals and I really miss their paint line as well (Eagle Strike were great too). Their decals were inexpensive, well printed, laid down without much fuss, and more importantly they were relatively easy to find (even after a sheet had been out for a year or so you could still find them without too much trouble). Like others have posted I wish someone would re-release some of their sheets.

Cheers!

8 hours ago, Rex said:

Squadron had the decal instruction sheets up for  a while after they bought them out,,,,,,,,,and then one day the links dried up. The instructions were a useful reference for finding used sheets, for a while.

Back when Squadron held their annual open house, and shortly after they bought Aeromaster & Eagle Strike, you could buy their sheets for $1 or $2 each.  I would buy a bunch of them even if it was a subject I wasn't interested in, just because of the price.  I probably ended up with around 150 different sheets in all scales.  Once those sold out they disappeared from Squadron's product line.

Squadron did produce some Eagle Strike sheets after the buy-out, mostly F-16 sheets (in conjunction with their publication of an F-16 worldwide markings book) but it seemed to have fizzled out after that.

I don't understand the business decision to buy out a company then sell everything at fire sale prices, but they did.

23 hours ago, habu2 said:

I don't understand the business decision to buy out a company then sell everything at fire sale prices, but they did.

You aren't going to make it on Wall St Habu.  It's the American way of business and it happens on a much larger scale than Aeromaster.   If you can purchase a struggling company for $20 and they have assets worth $25, how can you not go wrong by just shutting them down and selling off all their assets?  Of course you could also try to rebuild the company but that takes time and effort.  Much easier to make a quick buck and just shutter the place. 

Edited by 11bee

I find that for their age they are usually like new condition unless they sat outside their envelope or in the sun.

They are definitely worth if the seller isn't trying to build their retirement nest egg.  The hard to find ones show up from time to time for a descent price.

• 5 months later...
On 1/8/2017 at 9:28 AM, 11bee said:

You aren't going to make it on Wall St Habu.  It's the American way of business and it happens on a much larger scale than Aeromaster.   If you can purchase a struggling company for $20 and they have assets worth $25, how can you not go wrong by just shutting them down and selling off all their assets?  Of course you could also try to rebuild the company but that takes time and effort.  Much easier to make a quick buck and just shutter the place. 

Aeromaster wasn't struggling, far from it. 

Yeah I miss them too. Even though many have said you had to be careful of the accuracy I did not know enough at the time. The big issue as others have said was that they were the only ones producing deals for some subjects.

At our club meeting this week one of the guys was looking for a sheet for F-105G Thunderchiefs and at the time only Aeromaster made some. He has looked all over and can't seem to find any. Not sure who has out there now.