Gold Canopy Tint Experiment

12 minutes ago, arnobiz said:

The first one the pigments look too coarse. The second one looks like it might work for HUDs as you say.

Well, since I bought the polish over three years ago I had not considered that it may no longer be available, and after a search it does appear it is discontinued.

After some research, I am wondering how nail powders might work.  Honestly, I am not even sure how to implement powders, but maybe they could be added to something like future and dipped instead of sprayed on the inside.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ktyssp-Mirror-Nail-Art-Glitter/dp/B082HKHQP4/ref=pd_day0_c_194_1/131-0744312-8217143?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B082HKHQP4&pd_rd_r=b064df9f-6c6a-4e5d-a2d7-98fe84e7fcab&pd_rd_w=IuCJ7&pd_rd_wg=17fTH&pf_rd_p=47a9d55c-4dbb-48fe-a136-8e1abc72e8e6&pf_rd_r=2PQNHJAZ143X4V7YZNX7&psc=1&refRID=2PQNHJAZ143X4V7YZNX7

I tried powders and failed. The grains were just to great in any solution attempted. The metallic particles in nail polish, and other metallic polishes/compounds I also tried just hang in any medium.  

Its a tough nut nut to crack. 

Collin

Edited by Collin
3 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Well, since I bought the polish over three years ago I had not considered that it may no longer be available, and after a search it does appear it is discontinued.

Darn, back to the drawing board. :dontknow:

I still don't see a gold in that line. What they have that is closest is a brown but I don't think it's a match to the real canopy color. I can't locate any true gold colors that they have that are the holographic line like was originally used. Too bad since it was a damn good match.

4 hours ago, ridinshotgun said:

I still don't see a gold in that line. What they have that is closest is a brown but I don't think it's a match to the real canopy color. I can't locate any true gold colors that they have that are the holographic line like was originally used. Too bad since it was a damn good match.

This is a real shame. I thought we finally had an answer. It would be real nice if one of the paint manufacturers would tackle this and come up with something that works.

36 minutes ago, Mstor said:

This is a real shame. I thought we finally had an answer. It would be real nice if one of the paint manufacturers would tackle this and come up with something that works.

Well I did a little more digging on that product number and on a nail polish blog (and they call modelers crazy)  they referenced that 212 product number to the chameleon line of holographic polishes and low and behold I think I found it under their Nee Jolie line listed here and under color NJ-001:

https://www.bornprettystore.com/jolie-35ml-chameleon-nail-polish-gold-purple-flake-nail-varnish-black-base-needed-p-46334.html

4 hours ago, ridinshotgun said:

Well I did a little more digging on that product number and on a nail polish blog (and they call modelers crazy)  they referenced that 212 product number to the chameleon line of holographic polishes and low and behold I think I found it under their Nee Jolie line listed here and under color NJ-001:

https://www.bornprettystore.com/jolie-35ml-chameleon-nail-polish-gold-purple-flake-nail-varnish-black-base-needed-p-46334.html

Looks close. but the original had a more orange tone, almost coppery, which matches the color shown in the EA-6B pics.

s-l300.jpg

The color shown in the pics on the Born Pretty website show a more golden color (NJ_001 below).

Frustrating :angry:

290.jpg.560cef663493ab405560c30374c001a9.jpg

Might still work, but would be nicer to find a closer match.

Edited by Mstor
46 minutes ago, shion said:

Or you just have to find videos of those nail polish to see how color change depending of the light angle:

Man, you weren't kidding. That's some impressive color change.

On 3/4/2020 at 11:26 AM, 82Whitey51 said:

...I'm more interested in where you got the display stand here?? 👍

The stand is custom made by me using piano black plaque blanks, aluminum bar, plastic baseball card holder, screws, and custom printed info card done in Adobe Illustrator.  Here is an album showing how I make them:

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=16625&p=albums&album=50194

4 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Lol my wife went on the computer and wondered why I had 10 tabs open on Firefox about holographic nail polishes 🤔

Hahaha this made me LOL for real!

• 1 month later...

Still on the hunt for a decent iridescent canopy tint.  I came across these paints last night while searching for something to create the effect on Modern Navy flight helmet visors. 

https://www.e7paints.com/product-category/lacquer-paints/chameleon/

KzAlADXVi9D-9LX5Ga03TisCE7z74KV6DaaUtdy5

I was wondering if they could be used to create the canopy effects we are looking for too...

7 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

Still on the hunt for a decent iridescent canopy tint.  I came across these paints last night while searching for something to create the effect on Modern Navy flight helmet visors. 

https://www.e7paints.com/product-category/lacquer-paints/chameleon/

KzAlADXVi9D-9LX5Ga03TisCE7z74KV6DaaUtdy5

I was wondering if they could be used to create the canopy effects we are looking for too...

Maybe the M-11 Champagne Gold or the  M-09 Copper would work ?

Never heard of these paints before.

Steve

• 2 years later...
On 1/7/2017 at 9:49 PM, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

Hi all!

So lately I have been thinking about how to replicate the metallic goldish-red tint that is on Raptor and Prowler Canopies (and others) that seems to flip shades depending on the angle you view it.  Such as these:

Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg

I recently was researching F-22 Raptor schemes and came across this same picture. I am currently building the Revell 1:72 F-22 Raptor and decided to forego doing the level 5 kit's cockpit, ordinance, and landing gear assemblies to achieve a look of "In flight." As soon as I saw this gold canopy I went to my LHS and Ace Hardware to buy some metallic paints. I am using enamels and I found a Testors color called "Turn Signal Amber" and an Ace Hardware brand metallic gold spray paint. I was so eager to try the spray paint that I practiced on a plastic spoon and I really enjoyed the results after just one very quick coat. I plan on painting a spoon with the Turn Signal Amber today to see what it looks like but for now I am enjoying the spray color simply because it gave a great 1st coat without a primer or clear coat/pledge dunking. Thank you for bringing up this topic as I am very interested in it and am eager to finish my Raptor.

Edited by Piper32
  • 3 months later...

When I did Monogram's Prowler, I actually went to a auto detailing shop and got some scraps of metallic tinting from them. It worked like a champ. Keep in mind "scale effect" you need to get several shades lighter than you think it should be. If in doubt get several different shades and see which one works best.