It would depend on the diameter of the spark plug wire of course. I don't have one handy but if memory serves, they're about a half inch. If I'm right, divide by 24 gives about 20 thou which my indispensable Pocket Ref by Thomas Glover says equals about 24 gauge. If the wire is more like 5/8 inch, the right wire in scale would be 22 gauge.

30 gauge wire is 10 thousands thick which would be equal to a full size of 1/4 inch if scaled up from 1:24 scale.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

That's difficult to answer.  Wire gauge is based on the thickness of the wire, not the insulation.  So first and foremost, it will depend on the wire you're getting.

If the 30 ga. is uninsulated - if it's just straight, solid wire, then you can use 30 ga. insulated wire for the boots, though you'd probably be better off jumping up a couple of gauges for ease of use.  Maybe 28 ga.?

If the 30 ga. is enameled (say, magnet wire), then the coating will add a bit of thickness to the diameter, and you'd definitely want to jump up a couple of gauges so it will fit.

If the 30 ga. is insulated, that will increase the diameter significantly, but exactly how much will depend on the manufacturer.  I've got some 30AWG Kynar wire from Radio Shack; including the insulation, it's .045" - which would be about 17 ga.  So I'd need 15 or 16 ga. insulated wire to sleeve it.

Thanks, all. Yes, I know the gauge is for the wire. That's why this is a little tough. I usually buy the wiring kits with the colored wire and a small piece of boot material. I am looking for that boot material and figure if I can find the right size wire, the insulation would work fine. OD on it must be 1MM, whatever gauge that would insulate. I am guessing 26-28ish.

Don