Paint for US desert sand planes in WWII

Was the sand color that US planes were painted in the Med in WWII ANA 616 or something else? I have yet to use the Model Master 616 that I bought for the pupose for planes like the B-25 "Strawberry bad girl" or the B-25 "Pink Petunia."  I found this link and there are 6 desert schemes: http://www.goldenarrowresearch.com/resources/USAAF Painting Practices During WWII.pdf that appear to be an effort to match the local terrain. ANA 616 in the bottle looks too light for the pictures and color plates that I've seen. Could it be this paint picked up the local grime and weathered to some shade tinted by the local dirt? Or was there an entirely different paint than 616?

These paint color topics are always interesting, probably because there is no definitive answer. For WWII "desert pink" color I like Testors flat light tan (#1170), cut with a bit of white. This is the Testors paint in the little square bottles, so it's widely available. 

11 hours ago, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

That article above made me wonder if the planes picked up red soil wherever they were stationed and made them look pinkish. 

From Dana Bell in Air Force Colors Volume 2:

“The paint (Desert Sand ANA 616) had a pronounced apricot shade even when new, and as the sun bleached the surface, the yellow pigments faded leaving only a strong pink”.

Here's a few shots you might be able to use:

Picture033.jpg

Air Force Museum 1970

scan0012-5.jpg

scan0011-5.jpg

scan0009-6.jpg

scan0008-10.jpg

scan0007-10.jpg

scan0003-9.jpg

I still have a few bottles of Testor's old apricot desert pink paint.  I bought these back in the late 60s, or about 1970 and they have never been opened, but still look good.  I've been meaning to use some on a B-24 but have never gotten to it.

1 hour ago, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

Thanks. That doesn't sound like the color I see in the Model Master bottle. 

Given the extreme fading and color shifts shown in photos, you could probably doctor one of your bottles with some red and white and get something convincing.

Thanks for the pics. Those are great. In any event, very dusty environment. I've always been leary of any stateside pics of Strawberry bad girl, figuring it had been repainted. Sure, I could doctor a bottle and nobody could complain with any authority. Polly S used to make a 'desert pink' shade that I painted an old Revell B-25 with. 

Reading this discussion I was a bit surprised at the suggestion on the Testor's small bottle color.  Why I had not done this before I don't know but I have a copy of a 1943 ANA color book with 3x5 inch color cards so I pulled out the ANA 616 color so see how pink it was.  The color is not "pinkish" at all like SAND  26 found in Bob Archers US Army Air Service...color guide.   The color is a warm brownish tan with a reddish hue in it, I don't see what I would call apricot in it like Dana Bell mentions, but each of us have different color perception.  I would see this paint fading under strong UV Desert sunlight with a more yellow/pink tint.  The color is certainly not yellowy RAF midstone color.  I do not have the small Testor's paint 1170 but will have to pick up a bottle to see how it compares as well as a bottle of Model Master Desert Sand 616. This has been interesting to read everyone's insights into this color

Testors 1170 is correct; it has been renamed over the years, but today it is called "Flat Light Tan". Cut 1170 with a little white and it really looks the part. And in the little square bottles, it is widely available and priced right.

I thought that it was way back then but the labels are missing from the two old bottles.  Like I said, the color is close to 1170 but not exact which coiuld be due to age.  T price is printed on the top of the bottle cap.

If IIRC, Testors only called 1170 "Tan," nothing about "Desert Pink." I did try their "Flesh" in the small bottle, but it came out much too pink 

100_3741.jpg

Edited by DonSS3
Spelling Error

I have mixed my own paint shades over the years and this is what works with me (Model Master enamels cause I just don't care for acrylics - although model master lists these colors in their acrylics line and if that is your thing you may be able to use those paints to make an acrylic version of this paint color.)

T***y Pink (Faded ANA 616)

(a)  Skin Tone Warm Tint  - #2003     (3 parts)

(b)  Sand                           - FS33531 (2 Parts)

(c)  Dark Tan                     - FS30219 (1 Part)

(d) Add a couple of drops of thinner and then mix

When ready, add thinner to make the mixture flow easily thru your airbrush

Edited by Hawk10