Mirage 2000 colors?

5 hours ago, RichardL said:

AKAN now produces Mirage 2000 colors in both acrylics and lacquers.  See post above.

I know AKAN uses actual paint chips to match their Russian colors, but what do they use for these French colors? Why would they be any more accurate than Hataka's?

51 minutes ago, Mstor said:

what do they use for these French colors? 

Maybe they match these French colors to an actual Mirage 2000.  We will find out more about these colors when I get my set.

8 hours ago, Mstor said:

I know AKAN uses actual paint chips to match their Russian colors, but what do they use for these French colors? Why would they be any more accurate than Hataka's?

Good question. I think you would be just as safe using 36375 as a base and the previously mentioned Blue-Gray for the darker color. After you touch up the panel lines and weather it, I doubt anyone would know the difference. Also, as a great reference I can highly recommend the "Eagle Aviation" Mirage 2000 book. It is by far the best reference available (think of it as a "Modern Guide" type reference). If you're like me, and enjoy those sexy lines of the Mirage 2K, it is a must have.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
On 1/10/2017 at 8:00 PM, KursadA said:

I found an official-looking document describing French military colors here:

http://www.acqpa.com/iso_album/normdef_0001_couleurs_de_ladefense_nationale.pdf

Page 127 and 128 have the exact CIELAB (a standardized method to describe a color) parameters for the two colors (AFNOR A 620 and AFNOR A 625). Presumably this should be all that a paint manufacturer needs to match the color. There are apps and Web sites that allow you to find the Pantone or FS approximation for a given set of CIELAB values. Short of actually getting an AFNOR color fan (there is a scanned one here), this may be the best way to find a match and put an end to this discussion.

KursadA's link for the colors with  CIELAB values was dead when I posted this. I'm guessing this is the same document:

https://ereverra.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/ere_copie_couleurs_reference_def_fr.pdf

• 2 years later...

Thanks, Richard.

Appreciate the footwork on this!

Looks like I will be buying and using the MRP paints for my M2K and some other projects!

WARDOG

Edited by Glynn Jacobs
Auto-correct errors!
2 hours ago, falcon91352 said:

My friend Matthias Becker finished this excellent M2000C in 1:32 with the Hataka Orange line paints. The colors are looking very close to the original.

Maybe I got a bad batch of Hataka Orange line, but the lighter gray on my sample looks way too green, and the darker gray looks too brown.

On 10/6/2020 at 10:32 PM, RichardL said:

I airbrushed three light coats of each color on glossy photo paper, and to me, Mr. Paint's look the best and spray the best.

mirage2000c_chips.jpg

None of the above are even remotely close to being correct.

5 hours ago, scotthldr said:

None of the above are even remotely close to being correct.

Hmmmm!  TO ME, the MRP blue-gray can be lightened-up a bit because it looks like it has enough blue in it.

The gray could probably use a little adjusting too but I would have to see it up close to tell what needs to be done.

I STILL wish my French cousins would produce some accurate paints for their modern Air Force, Navy, and Army aircraft and helicopters!

WARDOG

Edited by Glynn Jacobs
Spelling/spacing errors
8 hours ago, Glynn Jacobs said:

The gray could probably use a little adjusting too but I would have to see it up close to tell what needs to be done.

I wish we can get a hold of the Celomer 1620 and Celomer 1625 color chips or actual paint samples in order to make a valid comparison.  Otherwise we are just shooting in the dark since we can't really go by the colors in the photos.

15 hours ago, RichardL said:

I wish we can get a hold of the Celomer 1620 and Celomer 1625 color chips or actual paint samples in order to make a valid comparison.  Otherwise we are just shooting in the dark since we can't really go by the colors in the photos.

Yeah Richard,

Sometimes messing with these different colors by mixing and "eye-balling"  to get the correct shade is as futile as pi$$ing in the Pacific.  You ain't changing the flavor and you ain't making the the water level rise!

WARDOG