Hi, all. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the incredible story of the B-24 'Lady Be Good', but I just recently learned of it by watching a Twilight Zone episode inspired by her story. 

It inspired me to build the I'll-fated bomber, but I'm having trouble figuring out the overall color scheme. Most of the pictures online are b&w, and the ones in color are are ambiguous. Sounds crazy but my guess is either OD or aluminum. But maybe desert scheme? 

Anyway, any help is appreciated. 

B-24D 41-24301

Aircraft number: 64

Name inscription details:  The Lady be good name was put on the bomber by a member of the ground crew, perhaps applied the day before she went MIA.  The original crew did not know that she had even been named until she was found in 1959.  The L was upper case and the b and g were lower case.  The name was written in YELLOW paint, not white.  It is the same color of yellow that was used to outline the star insignias on the B-24s in June of 1943 (it was almost certainly the same paint).

The Desert Sand ('pink') paint that was on the Lady was very powdery and would rub off very easily.  Every time she was touched or walked on, the pinkish paint would wipe off and more of the Olive Drab would show through.

The pictures I have of Lady are too big to be embedded here, but there are a few on the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Be_Good_(aircraft)

Excerpts from the MACR: http://warbirds.wikia.com/wiki/B-24D_41-24301_(Lady_Be_Good)

Good luck with your project, GRM

20 hours ago, Sebastian Haff said:

Hi, all. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the incredible story of the B-24 'Lady Be Good', but I just recently learned of it by watching a Twilight Zone episode inspired by her story. 

It inspired me to build the I'll-fated bomber, but I'm having trouble figuring out the overall color scheme. Most of the pictures online are b&w, and the ones in color are are ambiguous. Sounds crazy but my guess is either OD or aluminum. But maybe desert scheme? 

Anyway, any help is appreciated. 

Ah, "King Nine Will Not Return".  A great "Twilight Zone" episode.

I remember the late great Shep Paine did a diorama of the Lady Be Good crash site using the 1/48 Monogram kit.  I believe it was featured in his "How to Build Dioramas" book.

Let us know how your project turns out.

-Derek