I recently got to move all my modeling stuff to a different and bigger room.

I'm trying to get my table organized with the exception of all my styrene sheets, tubes, rods and so forth. Right now, they just lay in a big pile all mixed together.

I'm looking for ideas and pics especially of how you guys organize and store your Scratchbuilding styrene.

Having to rummage through the pile every time I need a certain size rod or sheet is kinda ridiculous. 

Thanks for the help!

Tim

13 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

I recently got to move all my modeling stuff to a different and bigger room.

I'm trying to get my table organized with the exception of all my styrene sheets, tubes, rods and so forth. Right now, they just lay in a big pile all mixed together.

I'm looking for ideas and pics especially of how you guys organize and store your Scratchbuilding styrene.

Having to rummage through the pile every time I need a certain size rod or sheet is kinda ridiculous. 

Thanks for the help!

Tim

I know *exactty* how you feel, browsing for the umpteenth time trough a stack of Evergreen packages and not finding the type you were looking for. I recently solved that problem. I used these things, what are they called in the US and / or UK, plastic sleeves?

HT1LN.CFGlcXXagOFbXn.jpg

Anyway, I used a temperature-controled soldering iron set at 225C to make (say) ten vertical pockets in each sleeve. I made around ten of them, and put them together in a paper folder. And then I filled nearly all 100 pockets with all my strip and rod and profiles and metal wire and Albion tubing. I even made small stickers with the dimensions of the content of each pocket. All in all it was a couple of hours work.

It works really well! Every time that I used it since I made it made me very happy :-)

Rob

Another nice thing to invest in is a set of digital dial calipers. They don't cost much these days for our uses and it comes in handy when you can grab a piece of styrene and measure the thickness to see if it will work for a certain project. I got one in a raffle a few years back and I love the many uses I have found for it.

I use milk cartons to hold my Evergreen strips/rod/tube. Drink the milk, then wash thoroughly, cut the top off, and away you go. I keep all my rod in one (still in it's package) and so on, tube in another, etc,etc., HTH.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2017 at 3:47 PM, crackerjazz said:

Oh, by the way, is there a technique to pulling out shorter lengths of rod from the bottom of the Evergreen packet.  I figure the multi-packet sleeve might make it harder to shake out just the one you need?

Now with pictures! You're right that is difficult to fish out short lengths of strip and rod that have slid down. But I found an easy tool for that: a piece of stiff wire with a small patch of sandpaper glued to it. With that you can grab stuff and slide it out of the narrow pocket.

Rob

folder-01.jpg

folder-02.jpg

folder-03.jpg

I have a "ribbon organizer" from Container Store. Long enough to hold Evergreen strip/rod stock and Albion tubes in their packaging, and large enough to hold all of them. It also has a tray on top that holds the smaller cut bits. I put sheet plastic in a clear lidded document box; another holds all my abrasive papers, pads, and sticks. Stackable document drawers hold decals, pe, resin AM.

Container Store is responsible for organizing all of my modeling supplies.

I use a variety of items, storage drawers from Walmart, I have a pull out drawer system from the old Letraset system that has sheets of plastic and rods, and I even use containers from K.F.C. after washing them of course.   You can also find several things at craft stores too, especially for small things too.