Finally acquired the Leading Edge Models 1/72nd scale Challenger 601. Been looking for one for my collection. 

I have the Challenger 600 kit......as well as BPKs offering.

Well that's my quest over......whats yours?

2 hours ago, Emvar said:

Finally acquired the Leading Edge Models 1/72nd scale Challenger 601. Been looking for one for my collection. 

I have the Challenger 600 kit......as well as BPKs offering.

Well that's my quest over......whats yours?

Good for you, that is great news. I am sure you are real happy now. That was on my list for years but have not seen one since my friend got it when it came out back in the 80's or 90's I guess. Since I build 1/48 I was hoping he would have scaled that up since it would match my Hasegawa biz jets. I have now decided that if I really want a Challenger I will just get the BPK kit.

As for holy grail kits, it seems that over the years more from my "hope they release one day" list have been issued in injection plastic. A 1/48th Hawkeye was on there but now gone. Not too worried about 100% accuracy but even that has been solved in some cases with resin correction sets.

One thing I have learned is to not say NEVER as in "They will never issue this kit in 1/48th" . Been burned lots:rofl:

Had a couple over the years. 1/32 hornet, bought and built. Then the 1/350 CVN Enterprise. Wanted that one since I was a kid.  Took 30 years but I got one and built it. Next I guess is a 1/350 old school NCC-1701 Enterprise with lights. I am hoping to find an affordable one at the next Heritagecon in March. 

Not a production kit but to build a 1/32 Tomcat21 out of the Trumpeter 1.32 F-14D Tomcat.  A fair bit of work needed to modify the forward wing fairings and the wing leading edges aswell.  Also cockpit interior to be heavily modified to replicate modern instrument display screens as well as a frameless front windscreen and main canopy,  Installation of internally fitted and faired in TCS, IRST and Lantirn and mounts for modern weapons.  All painted up in gloss white with red stripping!

tomcat21.jpg

Very cool looking aircraft...I wish they did it in 1/48 scale.

As far as my own "holy grail", I've had a few over the years, the most recent was discovering a kit that I didn't even know existed. We all have seen Monogram's venerable "Huey Hog" UH-1. But I never knew that they had released it as a rescue chopper with a hoist and hoist housing...exactly the items I was planning on scratch building in order to do a USMC UH-1E from a Reserve unit near by from when I was a kid. Out of the blue, I found one on eBay...boom! Done.

Hasegawa 1/48 RF-4C .  I am just annoyed by the scarcity of that kit.

I have found every other kit I have ever wanted through the magic of eBay or vendor tables.  The one that took the longest to find at a reasonable price was a 1/144th c-5.

The only kit I would like to see released which has not been done in kit form is a 1/48th RF-101A/C

I've got all my Holy Grail Real Space kits that I built as a kid ... lo these 55 or so years ago ... but ...

I'd like the, aftermarket, Northstar Avro Arrow Cockpit set. I had one and used it to build my 1/48 Arrow, but now that my mojo has returned, I wanna build a Cut-away.

1 hour ago, K2Pete said:

I've got all my Holy Grail Real Space kits that I built as a kid ... lo these 55 or so years ago ... but ...

I'd like the, aftermarket, Northstar Avro Arrow Cockpit set. I had one and used it to build my 1/48 Arrow, but now that my mojo has returned, I wanna build a Cut-away.

Found one at the Hamilton show last year. And no it is not for sale.....lol

1 hour ago, Emvar said:

Found one at the Hamilton show last year. And no it is not for sale.....lol

Aw-w-w ... schmitt!    :explode:    :crying2:

You read my mind   :whistle:  ... I seemed to recall that you had snagged one thru the Raffle.  :rolleyes:

A  Dragon 1/48 LM-5 was sitting on the shelf at my LHS and I debated for months on whether to get it or not.  When I finally decided to buy it I was a day too late.  I  know it's not a kit  -- it's prebuilt and has its share of flaws but should dock up nicely with my prebuilt Dragon 1/48 CM.   

One thing I really want to know, Pete, is how you got your mojo back.  You're back with a vengeance, I see.  What's the secret? 

Otaki '73 Pontiac Trans Am & Hasegawa 1/12 Mazda RX-7 FD3S

Found the Otaki kit several years ago and the Hasegawa a couple of years ago.

Someone mentioned the 1/144 C-5 - I picked one up many years ago, the Testors boxing, for maybe $10.

OK, I will play too: the Czechmaster Canadair CL-227 helicopter RPV in 1/72 scale. It's a peanut-in-the shell shaped helicopter with co-axial rotors. I'm not even sure the model really exists, it's only mentioned in 'Encyclopaedia of military models 1/72'. Any information is welcome!

Second on my search list of strange models is the Panzer Models BQM-34E/F/T Firebee II in 1/72 scale, kit number 72004, in resin, from 1991. There are alternatives for this one, like the 12 Squared model that I have, but I'm curious about the contents and quality of this little kit. Any information on Panzer Models is welcome too.

Rob