My Holy Grail kit is the Monogram 1/72 B-52D. I've wanted this kit since I was a kid. When I was young, my parents said it was too expensive. When I got back into the hobby, I never had the room for it. But now that I have a large dedicated hobby room, I recently picked this kit. Looking forward to finally building it.

Mike

I finally ran across my Holy Grail kit a couple years ago: the old Revell "box scale" (1/135) Convair 990 Coronado. 

Revell%20CV-990%20Swissair%20Jet%20Horiz

I'd been looking for a 990 for decades..the only other options are a 1/144 solid desktop model produced by Microscale, and a 1/107 kit by Aurora.  All are long out of production, and when they do turn up they're usually prohibitively expensive (particularly the Aurora kit, which was only produced for one year back around 1960 and has never been re-popped.)  So imagine my shock when I spotted the Revell kit on a vendor table at a small model show..for the princely sum of 40 Yankee dollars!

A bit of online research revealed that the kit's engines are incorrect for a production aircraft, as Revell based their kit on the prototype.  However that doesn't really matter to me, as I wanted it for a very specific project..

Convair01.jpg

This is a restaurant that I worked at in the early 80s, located in Erie, Colorado, just east of Boulder.  I've always wanted to build a diorama of the place.  The plane was an ex-charter airline bird (Ports Of Call Denver) that was a stripped hulk pulled out of a scrapyard.  It was completely stripped inside and out..the interior was just a long, skinny dining room, and the cockpit a wraparound booth that would seat six (but with a nice view of the Rocky Mountians.)  The restaurant closed up in the late 80s, after I moved back east.  I understand it sat abandoned for a decade or so before the plane was hauled back to the junkyard and the building remodeled as office space.  Whether I ever get around to building the diorama is another story.  References are next to non-existent, other than a few exterior photos (the one above I took myself) so I'll have to eyeball a lot of it and go from memory on the rest.  Biggest problem would be all the HVAC ducting and utilities on the roof.

SN

I've been searching for the very elusive Revell Beall tanker for years. Found one being auctioned on ebay and got outbid several times. Finally waited until there was about five seconds left and put in my final bid. Now I'm the proud owner of one very hard to get kit. Got mine for $81 shipped, not bad considering these things can go for well over $200.

14 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

I have them all except for the old Promodeler 1/48 B-17G. Just waiting for the right deal. The old must have kit was the 1/48 Hase A-4B Falklands kit, I finally ended up paying top dollar for it😝

Not sure if you want the Pro Modeller B-17G because of the boxing or not...but if you just want that particular kit plastic, the more recent release of the Monogram "Visible" B-17 kit has the "Pro Modeler" plastic in it, with Cheyenne tail turret and in-flight crew figures:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/rm/kit_rm_5614.shtml

41 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Not sure if you want the Pro Modeller B-17G because of the boxing or not...but if you just want that particular kit plastic, the more recent release of the Monogram "Visible" B-17 kit has the "Pro Modeler" plastic in it, with Cheyenne tail turret and in-flight crew figures:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/rm/kit_rm_5614.shtml

Thanks, I have three of them! I just wanted that particular kit.

mine would be to find a kit my father got me when I was about 7to10 some where in that time frame I believe made revel it was  a KC -10orkc-135151/144 a f-15i believe in1/144  in the same box. I was so much of a hurry to build it for him that I put the engine s on backwards so love to find one and build it for him .

Just secured the 3rd in the Leading Edge Models series of Challenger kits......like I've said the quest was long......but I am a patient person. Picked every kit up for a reasonable price.

On 13/1/2017 at 4:11 PM, nickdanger said:

The Hasegawa 15,000th P-40 

101088-10346-pristine.jpg

Hello, Greetings from Colombia, this Hasegawa model has a small mistake, it has the Colombian Air Force badge on one of its planes, however, Colombia never used the P-40 in any of its versions, it is an interesting mistake and That makes the kit weird.

Dang, I now work in Boulder so this would have been a great place to visit when I am in the area. Steve, what are your plans for decals? I am not sure if you know it but there are Cv 990 Port of Call decals available in at least 1/144. This may be close enough for you to use. I have a copy of these decals but they are buried in my stash and I can't recall right now who the decal company is. I can look them up if you need the tail markings for this scheme.

I am planning on doing something similar but for a Tu 134. A model company (Fly) released a 1/144 Tu-134 kit that has the markings for a Tu-134 that was turned into a restaurant. I always thought that this would be something different so I picked up a copy of that kit.

Have fun modeling

Mike

:cheers:

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:35 PM, Steve N said:

I finally ran across my Holy Grail kit a couple years ago: the old Revell "box scale" (1/135) Convair 990 Coronado. 

Revell%20CV-990%20Swissair%20Jet%20Horiz

I'd been looking for a 990 for decades..the only other options are a 1/144 solid desktop model produced by Microscale, and a 1/107 kit by Aurora.  All are long out of production, and when they do turn up they're usually prohibitively expensive (particularly the Aurora kit, which was only produced for one year back around 1960 and has never been re-popped.)  So imagine my shock when I spotted the Revell kit on a vendor table at a small model show..for the princely sum of 40 Yankee dollars!

A bit of online research revealed that the kit's engines are incorrect for a production aircraft, as Revell based their kit on the prototype.  However that doesn't really matter to me, as I wanted it for a very specific project..

Convair01.jpg

This is a restaurant that I worked at in the early 80s, located in Erie, Colorado, just east of Boulder.  I've always wanted to build a diorama of the place.  The plane was an ex-charter airline bird (Ports Of Call Denver) that was a stripped hulk pulled out of a scrapyard.  It was completely stripped inside and out..the interior was just a long, skinny dining room, and the cockpit a wraparound booth that would seat six (but with a nice view of the Rocky Mountians.)  The restaurant closed up in the late 80s, after I moved back east.  I understand it sat abandoned for a decade or so before the plane was hauled back to the junkyard and the building remodeled as office space.  Whether I ever get around to building the diorama is another story.  References are next to non-existent, other than a few exterior photos (the one above I took myself) so I'll have to eyeball a lot of it and go from memory on the rest.  Biggest problem would be all the HVAC ducting and utilities on the roof.

SN