Hi everyone! What is best kit now in the market for the Su-25 in 1/48, in terms of detail and accuracy, aside from Eduard version which is already out of sight? I read about the review on the Revell #5857 and it says that the kit is at the prototype level and not the operational category. Thanks in advance!

Edited by flybywire

the revell/monogram kit depict an very early production aircraft, with some afghan war mods.IIRC.

SMER is now reboxing the good-old KP kit, available at decent price. ...add some aftermarket and you'll get something like the Eduard offering. (master now does pitots for 1/48 Su-25, whichever you choose, they will greatly improve the look of the model!)

Edited by mingwin
11 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

the KP kit is reasonably accurate, though the detail is a little soft. The revell kit represents a T-10 early production aircraft and I believe is a little oversized, actually.

i've just take a look at the two kits in my stash, and indeed the monogram model seems to be longer (a whole 10mm) larger (another 10mm) ...and something like 2mm in height (not calculating the legs as thoses kits are not assembled)

what surprise me is how fine is the engraving on my monogram kit (but not exactly accurate...) ...and smoothness of surface (one could easily do a BMF...but the frogfoot never had such...still it tell how smooth is the plastic surfaces of the fit)

the KP kit surfaces engraving is rather soft, and the worst parts are the two fuselage halves.(in the matter of engraving softness) and there is not much details...

i'd recommend: new (eduard) pylons, and new ordinances.  new wheels, and metal pitots, new seat... and new pit if you wanted to open the canopy. in any case, a photoetched enhancement is a must! (wether its Eduard (with color IP...) or Part from Poland (cheaper)

have a good modeling time!

cheers

Simon

The revell Kit if fun to build, good for a quick shelf sitter. if you want to do something a bit more involved go for the KP/Smer add Neomega Cockpit, eduard PE, pylons et al.

• 1 year later...

Modelmaker does some decals which depict Russian machines in Syria (Latakia Air Base): https://www.scalemates.com/kits/997242-modelmaker-d48078-su-25-frogfoot

Regarding the Monogram kit: Yes, it is a bit overscale (read: too big) for 1/48. Other problem areas are: Windshield way too small, nose too big, wing pylons are not the same size and too skinny, the provided weapons are quite inaccurate, the rear fuselage is too fat (it should narrow down quite a bit), the scribing on the wings is pure fantasy and the tail sits too high (shorten the MLG).

But the surface details is way better and more accurate than on the KP kit.

Another thing since I've often read it: While it is correct that the Monogram kit depicts a pre-serial machine (T8-15) it does not miss certain features (air intake at the vertical stabilizer, ...). Actually the kit represent the BM-variant of the Frogfoot. The Su-25BM was originally developed as a target-tug but retained full combat capability. As it had uprated R-195 engines it's airframe has a few differences compared to the standard Su-25 (san suffix):

• No air intake at the root of the vertical stabilizer
  • Additional air intake at the side of the exhaust (to mix add. cold air into the exhaust gases)
  • RSDN-10 long range navigation system (not externally visible)

This variant was used by the 368th OShap in the GDR, 80th OShap in Sital-Chai (today's Azerbaijan) and is still used by Georgia, Belarus and Turkmenistan.

Cheers Markus!

Edited by Shorty84

Needless to say, we need someone to come out with a new kit. The Su-25 has been ignored for too long. I have the Smer kit with a ton of aftermarket, but would toss it if a new, accurate and well detailed kit were to arrive on scene.

55 minutes ago, stalal said:

Who makes good cockpit set for twin seat Smer Su-25 Kit in 1/48?

your only readily available options are Eduard's PE. (complete PE cockpit: 498350, or Zoom: FE835)

you can also source, the KP models 1/48 Su-25UB/UBK kit No. J48061

it includes a nice resin pit, made by SMS.  IIRC...shame they never offered it separately...

I will be reluctant to buy Eduard sets. Over sized or under sized. With details too shallow or out of proportion. I was more interested in resin cockpit that I can fit in SMER kit currently available online at a civil price not ebay price :)

the SMER kit is the same tooling as the KP one linked in my previous post.

sadly, i'm not aware of any other resin pit for the Su-25 UB in 1/48. (and i'm pretty sure that there is not other option. yet.)

and i agree about Eduard's PE faults... but not all resin pits are "drop/fit" add-ons... 

Edited by mingwin
1 hour ago, DarkKnight said:

well I hope someday this aircraft will be done by one of the Chinese manufacturers in 1/48

I have had the Smer Su-25 but sold it years ago. Missed the 2 seater. Still have the Monogram Su-25 and I like it even with all its warts. I lived in ignorance and even now I will eventually build it. I do have a couple of detail sets to just bump it up a bit. I am sure I can find some builds on line and then use those to upgrade my kit.

As for a Chinese company doing one I think Hobby Boss is the most likely one to release a new one in 1/48th since Trumpeter did it in 1/32nd and Hobby Boss seems to get the go ahead to downscale the subject. Not surprising since the two companies are related i believe. Also, from what I have heard the 1/32nd version is not too bad.

I'll be waiting for an accurate new tool version of the forefoot in 1/48  It looks like a simple aircraft, hopefully we'll get an accurate kit.   I'd love one with a pilot figure,  2heads, one with visor down one with visor up, so I can pick poses and have a spare, Id also like it to come with a full weapons load, 

On 5/2/2018 at 9:53 PM, mingwin said:

it includes a nice resin pit, made by SMS.  IIRC...shame they never offered it separately...

I think the cockpit was sold by ResinArt along with the avionic bays for the 25K. ResinArt faded away long ago, the UB cockpit resurfaced with the KP special edition, the avionics kit with single seater cockpit is available here:

Scale Resin

3 hours ago, Andrea Bolla said:

I think the cockpit was sold by ResinArt along with the avionic bays for the 25K. ResinArt faded away long ago, the UB cockpit resurfaced with the KP special edition, the avionics kit with single seater cockpit is available here:

Scale Resin

OK

to prove my memory still works right afterall : LINK to the post of the representative of KP (where he wrote that the pit was by SBS)