Fw-200C-5/C-8

A couple days ago, I started working on my Revell Fw-200C-5/C-8 kit. It's a very nice kit, with lots of detail, and good fit so far. I don't know much about Fw-200's, and I started quite late in the GB, so I will just build it as the instructions suggest. So if there are any inaccuracies, blame Revell!

So far I have painted all the interior bits in some olive green color, and put the cockpit together. As I said, lots of detail, that will mostly be hidden, although you can leave some hatches on top of the fuselage unglued so you can see inside.

P1135401_zpsbfvbqvdu.jpg

Awesome aircraft. I didn't know the kit had so much to offer, inside. 

Are those beds?

Those long range maritime patrols must have been horrifically draining. 14+ hours over featureless ocean...

There's some nice detail in the cockpit area, and where the entrance is aft of the wings. Between that, the fuselage is just an empty hull, but you won't see much of it anyway.

I don't think they are beds, especially the top one is a bit too narrow for that. I'm sure a bed would be welcome for the crew, though. It must have been some long boring hours, especially later when they were forbidden to engage any ships. But, being based on an airliner, and German, I have a feeling it would have been not a super uncomfortable plane for its time and role. As you can see on the pic, it even still had neat curtains for the window, and not just some piece of canvas that you fold up.

FW200-Condor-9f-s_zps40ponxpv.jpg

Edited by Pete
the voices

Lol, I might add those curtains, not sure about the dog.

Well, I got the fuselage together, and I put the gondola which contains the weaponsbay under it. It;s made from three clear parts, with lots of windows you have to mask and the fit is great.

P1235432_zpscsjgeyab.jpg

I also put the wings on. It's quite a big one, it has almost the same span as a Constellation, which is almost twice as long.

P1235433_zpszavwvuoc.jpg

And a peek through the crew door:

P1235435_zpsfecbllq7.jpg

Next up are the engine nacelles.

Edited by Pete
Bell peppers
  • 2 weeks later...

Except for a few minor issues around the nacelle bases on the wings, the fit is excellent. One of the best fitting kits I have worked on recently.

These Hs 293's, for instance, they just slide together, with no vague fit or gaps:

P2025442_zpsos5g9k0l.jpg

I also put the engines together. You can have covers open all around them on all 4, but I think I will keep them mostly closed. Maybe one or two open covers. The kit provides two types of exhausts, normal and fishtail. I went for fishtail, although I have no firm evidence the one I'm building had these.

P2025441_zpsyfzkvsxn.jpg

I also added the removable hatches on the top of the fuselage. They're a drop in fit, with no gaps around them. I won't glue them in place, so I can open them if I want have the interior visible. The turret interiors are in place, but the guns and clear parts will be added after painting. The windscreen has been added too, and again, perfect fit.

P2025443_zpszvl3rugx.jpg

I should be able to start painting it this weekend, if all goes well.

Edited by Pete
flying badgers

The upper surfaces have been painted. The lighter color is Xtracolor's RLM 72, and the darker stuff is Humbrol RLM's 73. I wish I hadn't used the Xtracolor paint, it's been on for about a week now, and it's still tacky. At the moment I'm busy masking for the underside.

P2095444_zpsbyhu9nan.jpg

• 2 weeks later...