Hi guys

It's been a while since I last posted anything here, but most of the stuff I have done of late is boring real world subjects. However, this is a bit of a mix up for me. I love the Sith Infiltrator from Phantom Menace (crap movie though) and I love the TIE Interceptors as well, so I though I would take the tings I like from both ships and make my own. So, with a bit of modification, here is a teaser of what I have made (I say teaser because I still need to take some daylight shots which I shall do tomorrow)

d072d734-9ca0-428b-b5a8-4e55e26e6570_zps

0d6d5892-16c1-4333-b0ab-a7718c91d71d_zps

and a couple of WIP shots:

IMG_4304_zpsx81mt6d5.jpg

IMG_4295_zps3oll1uot.jpg

IMG_4301_zps84cxvxb4.jpg

IMG_4300_zpslrqqdaw8.jpg

IMG_4299_zpssal6dl2o.jpg

More tomorrow!

• 5 weeks later...

That is just a great looking model. I think I will put this in my build something like this pile. Now the hard part will be finding the kit.

As an aside I recently saw a great looking option using these style of wings with the style of Tie fighter as what Darth Vader used. It was in a book on Star Wars art with the title "The Art of Film" . I think the artist created computer models. Looking more closely at the images I would have to modify the wings though.

Thanks for sharing your work. Very inspirational.

Edited by skyhawk174

thanks guys

I was beginning to think no one else aside from me was into it :)

What has happened to the Sci-Fi boards here?? - they used to be quite lively and now it's like watching tumbleweeds blow through!

Admittedly I haven't been as active here as I used to be but because I think my taste in subjects isn't that popular here (ie: not Star Wars or Star Trek) but even so, it seems awfully quiet

Edited by The Madhatter
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 10:57 AM, The Madhatter said:

thanks guys

I was beginning to think no one else aside from me was into it :)

What has happened to the Sci-Fi boards here?? - they used to be quite lively and now it's like watching tumbleweeds blow through!

Admittedly I haven't been as active here as I used to be but because I think my taste in subjects isn't that popular here (ie: not Star Wars or Star Trek) but even so, it seems awfully quiet

It's not only here....feels a bit like the entire forum has slowed down since the move and update.

Not at all the same, feels like some regular posters has left. Good to see you're still around, MH :)

• 1 month later...

well, I am going to be starting some more Sci-fi stuff in the coming months - especially some more 2199 and the Zvezda SD, so hopefully, there will be some stuff I can show you that you don't see much of here (the SD aside of course - everyone knows that one). I'm pretty sure it was the forum downtime that's killed off a lot of traffic, but hopefully it'll pick up again soon.

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2017 at 5:19 AM, blakeh1 said:

Forgive me if I missed it, but is they the Revell kits?

its a mix of Revell (Sith Infiltrator) and Bandai 1/72 Tie Interceptor with some scratch building on the wings to extend them out some more.

I want to start a new Sci-fi subject soon but can't decide which one: the Zvezda Star Destroyer or the Bandai Andromeda or the Anigrand MC-80? 

On 6/24/2017 at 8:27 PM, The Madhatter said:

its a mix of Revell (Sith Infiltrator) and Bandai 1/72 Tie Interceptor with some scratch building on the wings to extend them out some more.

I want to start a new Sci-fi subject soon but can't decide which one: the Zvezda Star Destroyer or the Bandai Andromeda or the Anigrand MC-80? 

I'd love to see you tackle the Andromeda. I recently found your build of the Domelaze the 3rd and that was amazing. All the added detail pieces really helped sell the scale of it more so than the rather simple out of the box hull parts.

On 6/24/2017 at 6:27 PM, The Madhatter said:

So I managed to find a few kits for sale on ebay. However it seems that the parts are all prepainted since it is an easy snap. I see in your build pics the parts are not. How did you remove the paint?

Yeah - I can't say that I'm a fan of Revell's idea of what pre-painting is either

I used Tamiya Lacquer thinner to remove the paint. Just brush some on and leave it for half an hour  or so and then scrub it off with an old tooth brush. Scrubbing it off using a wool pad soaked in the same thinner makes even shorter work of it.

I haven't decided on my next sci-fi subject yet, got other things on the go. time is just vanishing....

• 1 month later...

Ok I showed this build to my friend who has a great like for Star Wars as well as what-if type of things. He loved it and thought it was awesome. Anyway, I told him I was looking at the Revell kit as I had found one on ebay. It was the pocket kit in that foil bag.in pre coloured plastic. He then told me that is the wrong scale. That kit is like 1/144 and in your pics those Bandai wings would not fit like what you showed. He told me that Revell actually issued a larger kit and now I have to try and find that.

I had no idea there even was a smaller ship available. I only thought there was this one. Oh well, you learn something new everyday!

It is not a cheap kit BTW - so over inflated for what it actually is, but its the only one available and because it's discontinued, it gets flogged at stupid prices on eBay. Good luck finding one at a decent price. I look forward to seeing what you do with it once you get one :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

mine came in a box. It was the pre-painted one:

139919-10571-pristine.jpg

you maybe looking at the Pocket Kit version? Definitely not that one :woot.gif:

Yup I was looking at that tiny one. Almost bid on it since it was cheap. Since then I have changed my search wording on ebay and saw these kits come up so at least I know what i am looking for now. Hey even the Hasbro ones showed up but that is more a toy than a kit.

Also, I feel bad if I copied you so I was thinking of using the Bandai Striker wings. However may have to play with that as it might seem too big for the interceptor. Whatever I do it won't be tomorrow so have some time to think about it.

Thanks again for the great work.