Anything to do in Atlanta

Looks like I'm going to be spending a week or two in Atlanta in the near future. The guys on my project who are currently down there report back that 1) Atlanta is big and most of it is in rough shape 2) the traffic is bad and 3) there is nothing to do.   Can't believe it's that bad....  Anything aviation worth checking out while I'm down there?  Any decent plane spotting areas at ATL?   I'm probably going have weekends off, always interested in checking out some good sports / brew pubs and local restaurants. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

If you like BBQ, Daddy D'z is ok in my book. The Collared greens and ribs are good as is the home made Strawberry Cake.

If you like the tv series the Walking Dead you could visit the bridge from the opening credits.

Atlanta is a big place and, at least when I was there, traffic was pretty bad.

13 minutes ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

Wait for your next Delta flight. 

LOL..  Never been to Atlanta but I have been through Hartsfield enough times to know that the place sucks.   I got a resolution to that issue.   We have another project in the Greensville, SC area, so when this project wraps up, I'm driving up to check on that job and then booking my flight home out of Greensville - Spartanburg, which is one of my favorite small airports.  

Seconded Warner Robbins if you have a rental car. It's about 2-3 hours from Atlanta depending on what part of Atlanta you're staying. Excellent museum and free since it's a national Air Force museum. 

Believe here's some cool aquarium in downtown Atlanta but I've always avoided downtown. (Family lives about 45 minutes west of downtown) 

Also if you get a free weekend or something Savannah is about 4-5 hours away and they have the 8th AF museum. Not free but also a very nice museum. Also Savannah is supposed to be real nice. Wasn't our cup of tea when we were there with our kids. 

Almost forgot. The national Infantry Museum is at Ft Benning which is about 2 hours southwest of Atlanta. I've never been a huge army guy but when we visited the museum when our son graduated from basic it was truly an awesome museum. 

7 hours ago, Bigasshammm said:

Almost forgot. The national Infantry Museum is at Ft Benning which is about 2 hours southwest of Atlanta. I've never been a huge army guy but when we visited the museum when our son graduated from basic it was truly an awesome museum. 

Spent enough time at Benning back in the day. That being said, I've never been through the museum.  I haven't bothered to even look up where I'm staying in Atlanta  If it turns out that Benning is only a couple of hours away, I'll make the ride.  Always thought Benning was much further away from Atlanta but the furthest ever I got from there was Phenix City, AL. 

Looks like I'll be down there through the weekend.  If anyone can recommend a Patriots-friendly sports bar in the area, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll be holed up in the hotel to watch the game with a 12 pack of Bud and bag of Doritos :{

14 hours ago, 11bee said:

Looks like I'll be down there through the weekend.  If anyone can recommend a Patriots-friendly sports bar in the area, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll be holed up in the hotel to watch the game with a 12 pack of Bud and bag of Doritos :{

I heard Magic City has some great beer and big screens to watch the game on. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the tips guys.   As it turned out, my work scheduled didn't allow for any downtime, we compressed the schedule by working long hours and got done a few days quicker than anticipated. Mostly ate at local fast food joints - Waffle House rocks!  I was a bit surprised to see that smoking was allowed in some of the restaurants.   Gross.....  

Also was surprised at how bad the traffic is.   Seemed like from 6 to 11AM and 2 to 8PM, most major roads are packed for miles.   I'm used to bad traffic in the Boston area but this takes it to another level.  At least the drivers are a lot more courteous than the "Mass-holes" back home. 

I stayed a bit north of Atlanta.  One thing I did enjoy was seeing a great deal of military aircraft flying over on a continuous basis.  C-5's, C-130's, Blackhawks and a P-8 that spent half the day apparently doing touch and goes at a nearby airport.  Given that there is no longer a single active duty Air Force / Naval aviation base in all of New England anymore, it's rare that I see any military aircraft back home, aside from maybe a Guard Blackhawk once in a great while.

On another aviation note - I got stuck at Hartsfield from 9AM to 5PM yesterday due to massive flight delays from storms in the region.   Hartfield sucks.   Crowded and generally run down.  However, if any of you folks are ever in my situation, do what I did.  Head for Terminal F, the international terminal.   Before 4PM, it was pretty dead and unlike the other domestic terminals, it's clean, modern and has a great selection of higher-end stores and restaurants. Plenty of room to rack out and plane watch, sleep or read.   I was able to find a cool bar at the end of the concourse that specialized in Belgium beers.   Also pretty good plane watching. Lot's of heavy metal out there, Got to see a Korean Air A380, Delta, Air France and KLM 777's and a few Virgin A330's.  Nice change from staring at a billion Delta and SWA 737 / MD 80's.