1/48 Hasegawa A-7D Corsair II, OOB

Hi ARC!

I just wanted to share some pics of my recently completed A-7D. Several years ago I built the "E" version of this kit with resin and photo-etched upgrades. This time, I wanted to do  a complete OOB build. I apologize for the low quality iPhone pics.

IMG_2210_zpsfswxoobo.jpg

IMG_2212_zpsjnou6n2u.jpg

IMG_2208_zpsvmv93tvp.jpg

IMG_2211_zpsbjmy4uvf.jpg

IMG_2213_zpsytww5sgo.jpg

IMG_2216_zpsuc2yc8wd.jpg

Edited by Bill Staudt

Great job.  I have a few of those to build, but they're gonna be the dull two tone gray used by the ANG.  354 is probably the most modelled A-7D.  That's not meant to be a negative, because 354 is probably the best looking A-7D out there.  Again, great job. 

Thanks!

This is from the first boxing, so no weapons.

I think there are two areas to watch for on this kit:

1) The wings. The outer wing sections are separate, so they can be displayed folded. It can be a little tricky to get them straight and flat in the extended position. One of mine curves up slightly. Also, mating the wing assembly to the fuselage is tricky.

2) The speed brake take a lot of test fitting and sanding to get it to fit properly in the closed position.

This kit is really engineered to have the bays open, wings folded, and flaps drooped. Getting everything buttoned up takes a little extra work.

On 1/14/2017 at 4:05 PM, Bill Staudt said:

Thanks!

This is from the first boxing, so no weapons.

I think there are two areas to watch for on this kit:

1) The wings. The outer wing sections are separate, so they can be displayed folded. It can be a little tricky to get them straight and flat in the extended position. One of mine curves up slightly. Also, mating the wing assembly to the fuselage is tricky.

2) The speed brake take a lot of test fitting and sanding to get it to fit properly in the closed position.

This kit is really engineered to have the bays open, wings folded, and flaps drooped. Getting everything buttoned up takes a little extra work.

Thanks for the heads up Bill! I will keep these in mind when I start my project in a couple weeks.

What Bill said as far as what to look for.  This comes from over-engineering.  Most guys just want an A-7.  I despise open panels.  If panels are open, there can be nor ordinance hanging on the airplane   Maintenance would scream.  I wish they would add them as an extra part.  If a guy wants to build a kit with the panels opened up for maintenance, make them as extra parts.  Billy Modeler has to cut the panel open, along the panel lines.  It would actually be easier because the inside stuff would be a separate piece.  It would be much easier painting if it was not attached to the fuselage.  Paint it up, then glue it in place to the inside of the fuselage.  Walla!