I love my Monogram P-61 Black Widow!!!!!

But I hate that opened, exposed port side engine! You know the one I'm talkin' 'bout! That big elephant in the room? Regardless how you display it, it looks bad. What's the point spending hours building a beautiful night fighter, only to have that unsightly engine ruining all your work. Last week I started building my second Monogram P-61, when I remembered that detail concerning the engine. I remembered going out and buying a second kit to use as a donor and cobbed the starboard engine out of it to complete my model. It looked much better. But it was twice as expensive! So once my memory kicked in and I got over the horror of my previous foray into the Monogram P-61, I decided to do something differently. Over the years, I've been involved in scratch building a few Civil War Iron Clads. The experience required me to learn resin casting for many of the repetitive parts I needed. Pulling from that experience, and having the materials at hand to accomplish it, I made a mold of the starboard engine assembly to cast the one I would need for my project. I couldn't believe how well it turned out. I am offering these two piece resin assemblies to other modelers sitting on a dream to build that Monogram P-61 Black Widow that has been collecting dust for ages, to finally have a chance to achieve a goal of completing it in a way to make themselves proud. Without having to apologize for the goofiness that was the kit's toylike feature. These are available on Ebay for $6.00 plus actual shipping determined by your location. Click here.........    http://www.ebay.com/itm/302193611499?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 Thanks all, and model on!

15977356_1201465633269903_3496733986197181659_n.jpg

Whoever called this kit "one of the worst ever molded" had to have been exaggerating.  I've built eight of them so far and there's nothing on this kit that can't be solved with basic modeling skills.  It's a model, for Pete's sake.  Use some putty and elbow grease and that's all you need.  In this day and age when everyone brags about how they scribed an entire model or replaced every imaginable bit with resin, photo etch and white metal parts, why do people whine so much when they have to fill a gap and do some sanding???

Beautiful work on the Black Widow.  With all the fading, weathering and staining, will paint chipping be added to the mix as well?  Based on the paint on your kit (O.D. as opposed to gloss black), I assume you're doing a P-61A variant.  I'll have to double-check my sources but I think the A's were only plumbed to carry two external tanks rather than four.  

On 1/16/2017 at 0:20 PM, echolmberg said:

In this day and age when everyone brags about how they scribed an entire model or replaced every imaginable bit with resin, photo etch and white metal parts, why do people whine so much when they have to fill a gap and do some sanding???

I think it's kind of like how people like capital improvements over maintenance.

"Look what I ADDED!" "Neat!"

"Look what I fixed." "Boooorinngggsss!"

• 4 years later...
On 1/13/2017 at 10:08 PM, 109ace said:

But I hate that opened, exposed port side engine! You know the one I'm talkin' 'bout! That big elephant in the room? Regardless how you display it, it looks bad. What's the point spending hours building a beautiful night fighter, only to have that unsightly engine ruining all your work. Last week I started building my second Monogram P-61, when I remembered that detail concerning the engine. I remembered going out and buying a second kit to use as a donor and cobbed the starboard engine out of it to complete my model. It looked much better. But it was twice as expensive! So once my memory kicked in and I got over the horror of my previous foray into the Monogram P-61, I decided to do something differently. Over the years, I've been involved in scratch building a few Civil War Iron Clads. The experience required me to learn resin casting for many of the repetitive parts I needed. Pulling from that experience, and having the materials at hand to accomplish it, I made a mold of the starboard engine assembly to cast the one I would need for my project. I couldn't believe how well it turned out. I am offering these two piece resin assemblies to other modelers sitting on a dream to build that Monogram P-61 Black Widow that has been collecting dust for ages, to finally have a chance to achieve a goal of completing it in a way to make themselves proud. Without having to apologize for the goofiness that was the kit's toylike feature. These are available on Ebay for $6.00 plus actual shipping determined by your location. Click here.........    http://www.ebay.com/itm/302193611499?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 Thanks all, and model on!

15977356_1201465633269903_3496733986197181659_n.jpg

Are you still making those port side engines  I would Like to get a couple.