1/35 Mi-8MTV-5 conversion

Here's the progress I've made with my conversion of the Trumpeter 1/35 kit to a modern Russian Air Force Mi-8MTV-5. I've concentrated my initial efforts on the external changes required for the updated Hip. 

664078_zps7c70qolf.jpg

The MTV-5 uses a ramp in place of the clamshell doors of the older model Hips. I cut away the rear of the fuselage and rebuilt the area out of sheet styrene. I then used putty, superglue, and Mr. Surfacer to blend the styrene into the fuselage. I also enlarged the left side cabin door.

IMG_20170113_212316_zpsxa72tr4t.jpg

IMG_20170113_212439_zpsxacujcyl.jpg

IMG_20170113_212538_zpsopdnthvt.jpg

The MTV-5 also has a door on the right side of the cabin which necessitated moving the cabin heater above the door and shortening the right side fuel tank. I cut off the forward portion of the fuel tank/cabin heater and fabricated the front of the new fuel tank out of styrene and Milliput. The rear of the cabin heater was made out of styrene. I also reshaped the heater. 

IMG_20170113_212607_zpsuydvttrx.jpg

IMG_20170113_212713_zps6ujsruul.jpg

IMG_20170113_212737_zpsborbtg9x.jpg

There's still  lot of changes to go in the conversion. 

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, not a whole lot of progress so far, mostly due to my work schedule.

I've started working on detailing the interior of the cabin. I've added bench seats made from styrene sheet and florist's wire. I used a Dremel tool with a drum sander attachment to rough out the concave shape.

IMG_20170131_001524_zps7eb2eqne.jpg

This view shows the general layout of the cabin before I start cramming it full of soldiers and equipment. Note the modification of the cabin bulkhead to accommodate some electronic boxes.

IMG_20170131_001617_zpsnf11x8lj.jpg

The pilots' seats on the new MTV-5 helicopters are different from the legacy Hips so I modified some spare Trumpeter CH-47D seats to fit the part. I still need to fabricate the new headrest.

IMG_20170131_001733_zpspv67hee4.jpg

The crew's personal weapons and the cabin door machine gun are from DML's AK-74 family. I painted these with various bottles of Model Master enamel paints.

IMG_20170131_002055_zpsnuk0qlyw.jpg

The crew are modified figures from Trumpeter's CH-47D crew set with CMK Russian Helicopter Pilot heads. I had to remove all the molded on pockets in the vests and add appropriate pouches to model the current survival vest used by the Russian Air Force in Syria. There are a few differences between the vests I made and the real RuAF ones but I'm not striving for perfect accuracy in this model.

IMG_20170131_001930_zpszkrevzzn.jpg

This will be the flight engineer's approximate position in the port cabin door. The ammunition bin next to the figure should be a clue as to what weapon is going to be installed in that door.

IMG_20170131_001251_zpsaktmnpyv.jpg

Here are some images I found online of Russian Air Force pilots in Syria and their gear:

russia%20soldiers_zpsijjdgawl.jpg

Match-4_zpstxtmr67y.jpg

new-rare-russian-army-in-syria-vest-pilo

Finally, my intention with this model is for it to be part of a larger diorama of a Russian Spetsnaz assault on a Syrian house. I am not aware of any reports that Russian forces in Syria took part in the kind of unilateral offensive actions that my diorama would depict, so I am not striving for complete accuracy in this build. The helicopter is going to be built so it can be suspended above the house with the commandos fast roping out of the back onto the roof of the house, similar to this photo:

_35B4925_zps4q2q1sis.jpg

I hope to focus more on the model this week. I really need to tackle the cockpit as the instrument panel has to be completely scratchbuilt as does the fast rope suspension mount for the rear of the cabin.

Edited by adrake83