Jadotville Fouga Magister 1/48

Port engine will be displayed out of aircraft undergoing maintenance.  A few extra details were added with wire/sprue/Evergreen rods.

kxfByTi.jpg

Edited by Thommo
  • 2 weeks later...

Nose panel, the kit part is already very well detailed, but I added a few more wires/cables with fuse wire and some fine wire out of an old set of earphones.  As I'll be leaving the top panel of the nose off and have cut open a couple of small panels on the port side of the nose as if in maintenance mode, some of this will be visible.

BTW I've resorted back to using my 15+yo Fujifilm s3500 4Megapixel, 6x optical zoom camera for model pics.  I don't understand why, but it just gives consistently better pics of models than my much newer phone camera or the newer Lumix Lecia 10x FullHD, even though the the Fujifilm produces much smaller file sizes?

Zhom4mN.jpg

Edited by Thommo
  • 2 weeks later...

Making progress.  Ordered some Alclad dull aluminium and Alclad primer online for the final airframe colour.  Dull alum looked like a better match to the real thing than the recommended white alum.  Funny, the hobby shop in Newcastle I usually order stuff if I can't get it locally from won't mail Alclad, but I found another Australian outlet on Ebay that will (though only by road, not air). Did a few test runs on a spare wing before I hit the model with it - def looks a more realistic colour over the straight Alclad primer, than over gloss black (too dark).

Had some fun and games getting the rear canopy to fit, due to the computer stuff underneath.  Not really sure why, something to do with the computer deck which its under that canopy.

5BLNbAt.jpg

Edited by Thommo
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit more progress.  Can't seem to upload them from PB again, so back to small pics.

Engine cover fasters on the real thing and scratched out of an old alum can:

7699R9N.jpg

vXtyRKe.jpg

Edited by Thommo

Cut out some panels to reveal more of nose detail.

Guns and SNEB.  In the movie, the guns were wing mounted, but I could not find any pics of the real thing with wing guns, only in the nose, so have set these up as nose guns, but will be out as if about to be serviced.  Added a few scratch details to guns and SNEB.

LOIRbg9.jpg

MzGY8p3.jpg

cRchQQ5.jpg

Edited by Thommo
17 hours ago, Thommo said:

Cut out some panels to reveal more of nose detail.

Guns and SNEB.  In the movie, the guns were wing mounted, but I could not find any pics of the real thing with wing guns, only in the nose, so have set these up as nose guns, but will be out as if about to be serviced.  Added a few scratch details to guns and SNEB.

GunBay_ARC.jpg

Guns_ARC.jpg

SNEB_ARC.jpg

Great work Thommo!

The quality of your work is very good but one small point to consider reference the gun pack - I doubt that the guns would be serviced while they were still loaded?

cheers,

Pappy

1 hour ago, Pappy121 said:

Great work Thommo!

The quality of your work is very good but one small point to consider reference the gun pack - I doubt that the guns would be serviced while they were still loaded?

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks Pappy

Yeah, I reckoned that too about the guns, but then I thought Mercenaries, in the Congo, in the 1960s - probably mad a cut snakes!  And I was pretty happy with the dry-brushing of the cartridges, so just had to stick them on :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Thommo said:

Thanks Pappy

Yeah, I reckoned that too about the guns, but then I thought Mercenaries, in the Congo, in the 1960s - probably mad a cut snakes!  And I was pretty happy with the dry-brushing of the cartridges, so just had to stick them on :thumbsup:

No worries then, I am sure that the safety devices are installed! l

Looking forward to more pictures,

cheers,

Pappy

31 minutes ago, Pappy121 said:

cheers,

Pappy

Yeah probably the same as Aussie safety devices mate - a can of VB in each hand :woot.gif:

VB.jpg

N

On 9/10/2017 at 4:08 PM, Thommo said:

Yeah probably the same as Aussie safety devices mate - a can of VB in each hand :woot.gif:

VB.jpg

That is probably a good use for it, I can't imagine anyone would actually drink that stuff

:P

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
On 9/10/2017 at 3:30 PM, Pappy121 said:

cheers,

Pappy

My mates 19yo son worships the stuff.  Me, I'd have to be pretty well gone before I'd drink it!  There are better options.

On 9/10/2017 at 4:53 PM, crackerjazz said:

Beautiful scratchbuilding, Thommo! :thumbsup:

Thanks mate.  Got the Alclad primer on this arvo.  First time I've tried it apart from a little test run on a spare wing.  Also got some micro-mesh stuff down to 12000 for polishing paint with.  It def needs polishing as it dries pretty rough, but smooths down easy.

5QtAkkX.jpg

Edited by Thommo

Alcad primer fails patched first with decanted Tamiya spraycan primer, then with the Alcad primer which was shaken a lot more as suggested (i.e minutes rather than 20-30secs).  Now have some re-masking and re-spraying of the Alclad dull alum, followed by the Model Master enamel safety orange to do :rolleyes:.  Hoping I can get a decent save on this one, being the most expensive kit I've ever had!

EVl1VkF.jpg

Edited by Thommo
  • 2 weeks later...

Salvaged the lifting paint after numerous sands, re-undercoat, re-paints. Worst bit was the orange on the nose which lifted if you looked at it sideways.  Dull alum Alclad still a little too gritty for my liking in spots so will polish some more with 6000/8000/120000 polishing cloth system I got.

HUub2XW.jpg

Edited by Thommo
  • 3 weeks later...

Paint, sludge wash and flat coat on.  Lots of touch-ups around canopy after removing masking, thanks again to the poor adhesion of the Alclad primer.  Moreover, it dries quite thick and when it lifts leaves an edge that required tedious and careful sanding.  Back to the Tamiya spraycan primer for me from now on!  The Alclad Dull Alum is not as good as their other colours (e.g. Dark Alum, Duralum) as it dries with more large flecks in it which need polishing out and flat coating to fade them.

Awaiting roundels and fuselage numbers from MAV Decals in South Africa now.

XN9CFBc.jpg

uCdMCfL.jpg

Edited by Thommo