why mostly US and Brits paint nose art

Even in WWII, the U.S. Navy frowned upon nose art.  It's fairly rare to see it.  The U.S. [Army] Air Forces were much more lenient and only beefed about risque art if dignitaries were to visit bases.  While not as liberal in today's PC world, the Air Force does allow it though it seems to be a battle theater where its applied, and then its scrubbed off when the aircraft return to home bases.

The British didn't seem as prolific as the Yanks. I don't know if that's still the case.

Art certainly existed in the Luftwaffe but, like the U.S. Navy, it was rare.  Grün Herz and Galland's Mickey Mouse come to mind.

If you look at US Navair aircraft closely, you will see that what would be considered "nose art" in the other services shows up on the fuselage behind the cockpit, or on the vertical stab.

It is much smaller in some cases than the "bomber pin-up girls" on a USAF aircraft, but, you will Green Stamp and Texaco markings on a Skywarrior, Nicknames on Corsairs, Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club emblems, nicknames on Phantom spines, and some variations in the tail markings on a squadron during a cruise. If you want something nice and big and bright, do a Lady Jessie Skyhawk. Of course, our CAGs and Squadron CO aircraft often were more discernible than a "Wing King" in the USAF.

USAF had their moments, everyone seems to like the Phantom group that includes "Puff, the Magic Dragon", or the "EF-4C" while serving in 'Nam.

As for "nekkid ladies", there were some in the USAF Jet era, but, not as many as WWII bombers carried.

19 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Art certainly existed in the Luftwaffe but, like the U.S. Navy, it was rare.  Grün Herz and Galland's Mickey Mouse come to mind.

Lots of Luftwaffe aircraft had a personal emblem or name painted on them. Just not big nekid frauleins. Russians also had names and sometimes emblems and lots of big patriotic slogans. The US Navy and Marine Corps seemed to be limited to an occasional wife/girlfriends name. I think not having specifically assigned names was part of the cause for that.

In 531, we only had two jets with any kind of marking and they were just stenciled aircraft nicknames on the bottom of the rudder. One was "CATWALKER", obvious reason and the other was "HULK". That name came from the fact that during one stretch that bird went something like 100 consecutive sorties without a downing gripe. And that was on the boat!

The Hawaii Air Guard jets all had Hawaiian names painted on the side of the nose. At least some of them were the names of native birds, I don't know if they all were. That was back in the F-4C days, I don't know if they continued on to the F-15s or F-22s.

1 hour ago, echolmberg said:

Which is exactly why I almost exclusively build U.S. planes from WW2 and the 1950s.  They had some of the flashiest artwork on them compared to others.  All the rest just bore me to tears.

LOL.  You mean the ones that are painted a colour that is *literally* called "drab"?  :rolleyes:  

1060-3.jpg

My Grandfathers served with the RCAF in World War II. One was stationed in Newfoundland the other with No. 6 Group RCAF Bomber Command on Halifax's and Lancasters. If you haven't checked out the nose art painted on some of those Canadian bombers then you really should. I'd say they were every bit as creative, colorful, and risque as USAAC and nose art found on other nations aircraft. I think a lot depends on personal bias towards a specific aircraft or nation or perhaps an affiliation with a family member. Also, photographs of non-USAAC nose art don't seem to be as prevalent or as easy to come by.

"Ropey" 419 RCAF Squadron (that's a lot of teeth!):

LANC-X-BW.jpg

"Vicky the Vicious Virgin" 408 RCAF Squadron:

image.jpg1_zps3rkaox8g.jpg

"Willie the Wolf" 432 RCAF Squadron:

2906977221_6591feed5b.jpg

"Rabbits Stew" originally assigned to 425 RCAF Squadron but shown here in my Grandfathers Squadron 420 RCAF soon after the war:

LastCall09.jpg 

There are plenty of others, not to mention RAF bombers with famous nose art and equally cool.

"Friday the 13th" 158 Squadron Halifax (arguably one of the more famous bombers of WWII):

ft13.jpg

Nose art is interesting and tastes vary. Might make a neat ARC Group Build..."Painted Noses GB"?

Cheers!

5 hours ago, MoFo said:

LOL.  You mean the ones that are painted a colour that is *literally* called "drab"?  :rolleyes:  

1060-3.jpg

If I had a special place in my heart for losers, then yeah, I'd probably like those planes as well.