P-47M-1 Thunderbolt 1/48 Tamiya

Hi all,

First post of a finished project here (i hope all goes well with posting images). It is an early P-47M-1RE in 1/48. The plane depicted is from the 63FS of the 56th FG in 1945. The Tamiya kit has been used along with Eduard selected bits and pieces in the cockpit. Further details like wiring, actuators for flaps etc were scratchbuilt. Decals are from Aeromaster and for painting, Gunze acrylics were used for the upper surfaces along with Alclad for the undersurfaces and leading edges. I hope you like it and thank you very much in advance for your time. Apologies in advance for the hastily taken pictures, i need to improve my photography skills.

P-47M_1_zpsqalliw3e.jpg

P-47M_2_zpsepoenbb4.jpg

P-47M_3_zps9dfpoaqq.jpg

P-47M_4_zpsq9bwiiuc.jpg

P-47M_5_zpsmowmgnvm.jpg

P-47M_6_zpsasackobs.jpg

P-47M_7_zpsdgrkmqha.jpg

I actually have a question about the P-47M; Wikipedia says that the biggest difference is to create a faster lighter version and part of that was reducing armament to six guns, but all photographic evidence I can find seems to suggest the eight gun configuration was retained. I'm inclined to think Wikipedia is wrong then, so what was the biggest distinction between the M and other bubble-tops?

Ray the main difference for the P-47M was the engine (R2800 C series) which was boosted to 2800hp. This gave it a 475mph top speed (from 425mph on the P-47D-40). I have not heard or seen the six guns thing. Many M's did not have the wing pylons initially installed. I hope this helps.