DOES HOBBY BOSS MAKE GOOD KITS

The two that i have go together really good. The YF-23 that I'm putting together fits like a dream so far. However, there are a few minor sink marks to deal with and the surface is slightly rough. It's pretty much the same with the 1-32 F-84 as well. I can't speak about accuracy, though, as I don't really care about the fine details.

Detail is usually very good, fitting is also near perfect, but they usually have problems in decals (poor and wrong) and shape/accuracy/dimensions. My latest experiences was with their F-84F and SAAB J32 Lansen, both in 48 scale. For example the Lansen builds up like a Tamiya kit but has some parts from an A 32, a complete different variant! And the F-84F comes with refueling receptacles on both wings! So you need to double check your references to build a correct kit.

Like any manufacturer, some are better than others.  The 1/48 F4F-3 and F4F-4 Wildcats are very good kits, and the 1/48 Avengers are also  good kits.  Others - not so much from what people here and on other sites have noted. 

24 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Like any manufacturer, some are better than others. 

The simple kits vs the better kits can be differentiated by their stock number. For example their 1/72 F-14 / F-15 / F-16 / F-18 kits are rather simple (not bad just not as detailed) all have stock numbers in the 802xx series.  Their A-7 and most (all?) of their helicopter kits are more detailed, they are all in the 872xx series.  I'm not as familiar with their 1/48 kits to state a similar description.

46 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

I have the A-6A kit and it is pretty incredible looking on the sprues!

I'm looking forward to building it...'Nam style, big black radome, tons of bombs!

I've built their A-6A and enjoyed the build thoroughly. Great kit with good detail and excellent fit. Their decals are nice and thin but usually suffer from poor accuracy. 

HB_A-6A_019.jpg

Mark

14 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

I've built their A-6A and enjoyed the build thoroughly. Great kit with good detail and excellent fit. Their decals are nice and thin but usually suffer from poor accuracy. 

HB_A-6A_019.jpg

Mark

Whoaa...nice work! I'm going with some aftermarket decals anyway, going to do a VA-196 bird from '67. I'm back and forth on the wings folded, or spread with all that flap and slat showing??