1/48 scratchbuilt A-5A Vigilante

I finished this years ago and it's been sitting on a shelf. I decided to pull it down and make some minor repairs to it. Since I never took good quality photos, I figured this was as good a time as any. I spent many, many hours making this. It has parts from various models (1/72 Tu-22, 1/48 MiG -25, 1/72 MiG-25, 1/48 and 1/32 F-4 Phantom, 1/48 A-4 Skyhawk, 1/48 F7F Tigercat, and 1/48 F4D Skyray to name a few) and a whole lot of sheet styrene and putty. It may not be the best I've ever done, but I think it's the one I take the most pride in. This was done long before Trumpeter came out with their RA-5C and Cutting Edge followed with their A-5A conversion. I wish Trumpeter would release an A-5A. It's just a cool looking airplane.

4725801_orig.jpg

2146531_orig.jpg

8983378_orig.jpg

8165291_orig.jpg

3298357_orig.jpg

8035411_orig.jpg

722125_orig.jpg

3992516_orig.jpg

1754466_orig.jpg

Edited by Darren Roberts

I like the white wave pattern done on top of the wings. I might do this on my 1/144 and 1/350 Viggie.

Your scratchbuild is outstanding. I would never archive this, I never tried but it looks just like an original modelkit to me.

Great work Darren.  Wow!!!  Your model brings back memories of my late uncle.  He was in the USN, assigned to an aircraft carrier in the early 60's.  I know that he had to be involved in the Cuban Missile Crisis.  I was just a little tyke.  I asked him about the airplanes.  His favorite was the A-5 Vigilante.  He called it a "monster."  Thanks for the memories.

Impressive work Darren. Very "clean" build being a scratchbuilt one, looks like modern injection thanks to your skills. From what i hear the airframe is particularly difficult with respect to making it rigid/solid enough to handle due to its shape and size.

10 hours ago, dragan_mig31 said:

This is awesome indeed.I would love to see the work in progress photos or thread? :D

I'd love to, but unfortunately I didn't take any. 

Thanks for all the kind words. I would love to see an injection molded kit. They look so cool!

• 2 weeks later...