Tamiya Tomcat VF-21 CAG

Add me to the Tamiya Tomcat club!  Here's what I've got cooking:  Tamiya F-14A, CAM Pro Decals VF-21 CAG markings, Steel Beach Block 125 Update and Steel Beach NACA Gun Vent. 

20161222_165338_zpssnwy1ltz.jpg

I know I need updated wheels, but I'm not there yet.  Anyway, I got some work done in the past few days, starting with the flying surfaces.  Bonehead move on my part with the horizontal stabs, as I painted them while still on the sprue.  I'll get around to repainting one of them and finishing out the metal finish on the leading edges of the wings.  The instructions included with the CAM Decals are incorrect with their paint callouts.  They say the jet is overall Gloss Gull Grey when, in fact, it's TPS.  They also left out the yellow tips of the vertical stabs.  That said, the decals went down nicely, although the multicolor decal on the rudders is two different decals overlaid atop one another.

20170116_160317_zpswrrepix6_edit_1484611

I also got some base painting on the landing gear, gear doors, and cockpit parts.

20170116_154448_zpsdfa8ataz.jpg

20170116_154357_zpsej7hreab_edit_1484611

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:37 AM, my favs are F`s said:

Good looking start! Happy building and make it beautiful! :)

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

Nice start, refreshing to see some different markings as well. Good luck with your build.

Steve

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, tomthegrom said:

Wonderful to see a freelancers bird!

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Oh, agreed...much as I love the bones, it's fantastic to see such a deserving yet underrepresented squadron! Really refreshing :) 

Thanks for the encouragement!  Nothing new to report...no bench time to speak of this week : (

I've been slowly plinking away at various sub-assemblies here and there.  External fuel tanks, ordnance, cockpit, and landing gear are all at various stages of paint.  I plan on finishing up the cockpit later today...and I had to repaint the NMF on the leading edges of the wings too--I pulled up paint when I removed the masking tape on the first go around. I'm looking forward to some bench time this weekend. 

Here's the nose gear well.

20170126_104917_zpsdrngtguz.jpg

A little more progress...intakes painted up, which was a bit tedious and ECM bumps.

20170204_163746_zpsqwnosgl5.jpg

20170204_163830_zpszcdrslql.jpg

I got some of the missiles done too. The Phoenix has more decals than some aircraft! I still haven't settled on a load out, but other than what you see here, I've got another Phoenix and two Sparrows in various stages of completion. 

20170204_164152_zpscmxwwxkz.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2017 at 10:27 PM, picknpluck said:

A few more pics of today's work...

20170128_114332_zps9jztrfn2.jpg

20170128_114248_zpsmuxkuwac.jpg

The Steel Beach NACA gun vent needed some filler

20170128_122927_zps4uphq4gr.jpg

20170128_164056_zpso15ffaio.jpg

Great start! That's interesting about the NACA vent. There shouldn't be that much gap. I'm sorry you had that problem. I'm not sure why that occurred. 

Picknpluck,

I'm still waiting to buy my kit as I keep on buying more 1/32 scale props these days. Nice job on the tip and wheel well. Love how the ordinance is looking when fully painted and decaled.

Joel

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Great start! That's interesting about the NACA vent. There shouldn't be that much gap. I'm sorry you had that problem. I'm not sure why that occurred. 

Thanks Darren

I've been a little distracted with a 45 day group build on a Facebook page so I haven't done much work on the Tomcat. I did get some painting done, but to be honest, I'm not over the moon with the results and may redo some/most of it.

Here's one of the nozzles. The other one looks pretty much the same. I'm having a hard time getting the right paint: thinner ratio with the Model Master Flat white. 

20170228_182953_zps7euoopty.jpg

I black based this and used flat white and patches of dark tan for mottling, but I think I overdid the Medium Grey and I'm not thrilled with the tan effect either. I'll reassess when I graft on the nose section, but it's likely I'll lay another coat of black down and start over on the top portion. The Light Ghost Grey underneath is acceptable 

20170228_182928_zpsrkpz077h.jpg

I think the color on the jet looks good at least from the picture. Maybe it looks different in real life ??

Model master needs to be very thin, like skim milk. Your getting a lot of spitting which tells me the paint is too thick ?? What air pressure did you spray this at ?

Steve

27 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

I think the color on the jet looks good at least from the picture. Maybe it looks different in real life ??

Model master needs to be very thin, like skim milk. Your getting a lot of spitting which tells me the paint is too thick ?? What air pressure did you spray this at ?

Steve

I spray @ 10 psi. My issue is not thinning enough, I think.

That was my impression when I saw all the spitting, that the paint was too thick. I usually spray between 10-15 psi, thin paint, light coats building up slowly.

I would leave the top color alone, I think it looks great.

Steve

• 1 month later...