Hi Guys

welcome to my wingless flying build ! I will be building the newish Trumpeter 1/35 HH-65C in the Us Coast Gard Red liveries.

The HH65- is a helicopter i really love and was around allot when i grew up. I live on a sail boat in the Caribbean and these guys where around allot and often made port in Trinidad where ive visited their ship and drooled over their chopper! 

I will be building this one strait OOB using mostly Humbrol enamel. There are a lot of contradictions on the actual color of these helos, from searching the web most say MM Chevy engine Red is the correct color but im not sure they make it in enamels  im going to have to run to the hobby shop to check it out. The instruction call out Humbrol 19 but having just painted my 1967 mustang with that specific color i dont think its accurate.

So ive slowly started cleaning up parts and done some minor assembly and a panel line wash on the floors. 

more to come soon

Cheers

view?usp=sharing

23 hours ago, Winnie said:

I think Mr. Paint has an Insignia red, it is not enamel though... 

ive been looking into these for a while now. i might just make the move to get me some. but i have to pick a wide range to compensate for shipping thats the only biggy

• 2 weeks later...

Thank for folling along guys

Ive made some progress on many different sub assemblies. Most of them when really good. The fit is great.

The only main fit issue ive ran into is the side sliding door. It took some scraping and sanding to get it right.

One grudge im holding agains this kit is that there are ZERO color callouts.

Ill post some pics soon.

I still dont have exterior paint im going to swing by the hobby shop soon. Or maybe try out that mr paint

Hi Pappy and Rod

Thanks for chipping in. What i really mean are callouts for small and detail parts. I dont normally follow 100% but they are usefull mainly for detail witout spending hours shearching the web to figure out there a flat black section of this part and the rest is gray or that the cockpit floor is black but the rear is gray

I really have to get on my pc to upload some pics!!!

OK finnaly got some time to get some paint on 

Ive been doing tons of small assemblies, and shot a coat of gloss black over all the engine parts in preparation for some alcad.

the engines are painted Aluminium, and jet exhaust, im really not happy how the jet exhaust came out, its really dark. so im going to go over it with some burnt iron and go from there 

20170213_204209_HDR%20%281280x641%29.jpg

While building ive hit 2 little snags, the firs has shonw below is that if you install the round parts in the location pins then put the cover on they do not align.  i had to cut then off and realing them. nothing serious 

correction_small.jpg?dl=0

the other one was the main cabin door, it required lots of shaving to manage to fit in the hole, agin really not an issue as im sure most ppl will build it open to see the interior

well that all for now. im pretty much at a paint stage and this can take a while since i dont get much long periods at the bench making painting more dificult

Cheers 

Hi guys 

quick update. I had a small surgery to the nose last monday so progress is sloooow, no im not going to look like Micheal Jackson! its to prevent sleep apnea !

i did manage to fiddle around and get the decals on the id done with some small switch painting.

i also painted the seats and added some band aid's to the top to simulate the padding.  i did experiment painting after installing the band aids... and its turning out a little harder than plan to hide that beautiful brown! 

hh-65C%20seats%20and%20ip.jpg?dl=0

So i cant wear my breather mask, and im pretty sure paint fumes on healing woulds is not a great mix airbrushing is postponed for a little while ! 

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Neo

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys 

time for a long overdue update! 

ive been fiddling along this one i must admit, fit was going great until i got to the clear parts.... they are a PITA and worked harrd to make sure i was not going to have fun on this step. i managed to get most of them in but  they are still not all done.

i did in the meantime finish up the interior, seats, seat belts, IP ect. im very pleased with the results

here is how she look has of 5 mins ago

20170419_214322%20%281280x685%29.jpg?dl=

20170419_214358%20%281280x748%29.jpg?dl= 

Next up is to complete the windows and close this baby up! 

Cheers

• 1 month later...

HI Guys 

here is a long overdue update on this build

the Fuselage went together really well. One thing i would suggest in putting some styrine tab on the belly joint has there are no location pins and i had to play with it multiple time to get it nice and even. Basically once the glue was dry i reaplied some extrathin and worked the joint. 

I have painted the front and the rear with satin black, had to redo the rear has the joint was showing but im really happy with the result

20170531_215826-1%20%281280x720%29.jpg?d

I have also completed the engines, i redid the dark section that was done with alclad jet exhaust by re-spaying over it with Alclad exauth manifod

before
20170213_204209_HDR%20%281280x641%29.jpg

after
20170531_215950-4%20%281280x720%29.jpg?d

next up is painting the white rear fan section then closing up the engine covers

final paint will be done using Humbrol 238

thanks for following along 

Cheers

Neo

• 2 weeks later...

HI Guys

Wow its really quiet in the GB these days

even in this hot beatifull weather ive managed to get some work on this baby!

ITs official this is the first fitment isue that could have been avoided but its bithing me in the... you know what

Dry fitting of the doghouse seamed like a little etra thin was going to get everithing in place but not quite. By the time i realized i should have thinned the interior a little it was too late. 

But look at the positive side ! the engines are in and they look great! ive also used my circle cutter and made some masks for the tail rotor tunnel

So i masked around the doghouse and sanded down the step with a snading stick, it came out decent, i just applied some tamiya surface primer to make things smoothe, ill wipe off the excess with a Q-tip and some thinner.

So after and entire evening of masking paint time is comming!! you can see in the backgroud i also masked the roto blades for the 4 white and yellow section.

next step is the white stripe on top of the dog house, masking that and then we go orange! 

My biggest concern right now is if i should paint the white bar on the fuselage where the decals go. im afraid the orange will show trought the declals. but im also afaid that if i dont paint it spot on it will look ugly.

Well that its for tonight! 

thanks for folowing 

• 2 weeks later...

So i i was all set to start the orange. Started with the small part but clearly this onrange need a white base. So i stopped and decided to spay the hole thing with white tamiya surface primer. It came out great but exposed some flaws that need to be address. So out came the putty. 

At this stage i wont make the gb deadline :S

• 2 weeks later...