KASL F-14 wing flap & slat set for 1 48 Tamiya Tomcat

9 hours ago, Ishthe47guy said:

Looking for the exact forum post (might be on FB), but it was posted that the wings from a Hase F-14 will work on a Tamiya kit pretty easily, so if you have Hase kits in the stash, save them and swap the wings.

:woot.gif: Cancel my order! Cancel my order...!!! *toggles frantically on the delete key*

• 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, cag_200 said:

and?  are these any good?   Can it match with Tamiya standards?  Are all panel lines straight, exact?

The KASL wings are very well done. The detailing and panel lines are difficult to tell from the Tamiya parts. The slats in my set have a slight warp/bend to them but that should straighten out once glued. Plus, there is some slight misalignment on a couple of the connecting points for the slats (where they connect to the wings) so I may have to widen one or two of the slots where the slats connect and fill in any remaining space. The wings in my set are perfectly straight and level, no warping. I think the set is very good overall.

I have not completed assembly yet. The build is on hold until early VF-1 Wolfpack decals are available (the original Fightertown set does not fit the Tamiya kit properly).

17 hours ago, Mstor said:

The KASL wings are very well done. The detailing and panel lines are difficult to tell from the Tamiya parts. The slats in my set have a slight warp/bend to them but that should straighten out once glued. Plus, there is some slight misalignment on a couple of the connecting points for the slats (where they connect to the wings) so I may have to widen one or two of the slots where the slats connect and fill in any remaining space. The wings in my set are perfectly straight and level, no warping. I think the set is very good overall.

I have not completed assembly yet. The build is on hold until early VF-1 Wolfpack decals are available (the original Fightertown set does not fit the Tamiya kit properly).

Hi why does not fit the original Fightertown to Tamiya kit properly ? I have one decals set (1/48 VF-1 F-14A Tomcat Wolfpack "1973 - 1978" FTD48-014R) and I would like to use it with Tamiya F-14A.

3 hours ago, Narciarz said:

Hi why does not fit the original Fightertown to Tamiya kit properly ? I have one decals set (1/48 VF-1 F-14A Tomcat Wolfpack "1973 - 1978" FTD48-014R) and I would like to use it with Tamiya F-14A.

Main problem is in the decals for the tail. They are not sized right for the Tamiya tail. There is a build of the Tamiya kit with the Fightertown decals in the Display forum. Here's the link.

The Tail markings are too wide measured from bottom to top. With the wolf nose nearly up against the bare metal leading edge and the circular area against the rudder the the whole thing should be higher up on the tail. Fightertown's sit too close to bottom of the tail. With the inner markings, with the front edge up against the metal leading edge, the ends of the "K", on the back, should line up with the edge of the rudder and the front of the solid red area should also line up with the edge of the rudder. As with the wolf head marking, it also sits too low on the tail.

There are also some problems with the fuselage decals. On the actual aircrafts, the front most section is the same length on every plane and will always just about touch the tan area of the nose cone. The section from the stars and bars insignia to the aircraft number varies in length to accommodate the different widths of the different numbers. That second section on the Fightertown sheet is not long enough to accommodate the different widths of the numbers forcing one to move the front section back and then the point of the stripe can no longer reach the to the tan part of the radome. Also, the wolf's head is too small.

Look at some photos of the real thing and then look at the pictures in the Display Case posting. Once you know what to look for, you can't unsee it. If you can live with the issues, it still will build up to a very nice model. The one in the link above proves that. Just for me, I can't stop seeing the issues with the markings 😉

Edited by Mstor
On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, viper730 said:

:jaw-dropping: the wings set is only 15.00 less than what you can find the kit for if you really shop around. Man That is not cheap...then you need to tack on shipping..

If AMK were smart they could design their wings very very similar to Tamiya's and how the fitment is and then sell the dirty wings separate...

Or Maybe Tamiya should just tool up a dirty wing and sell it as an upgrade...:hmmm:

the AMK kit will come with two different wing sets in the box. The ones that have fixed control surfaces, and the ones with pose able control surfaces.

gary

The Hobbyboss wings fit Tamiya as well..

Panel lines are a good match to in terms of depth and width.

AMK look like they have retooled the mold as the photos of the test shot from Shizuoka with far finer panel lines as well.

Smart move..

The Hobby Boss wings are terrible! Massive nonexistent riveting hat all needs to be filled. The leading edge slat is all wrong. They have it extend straight out and done have the airfoil curve or the angle at all. Really a big step back to add either Hasegawa or HB wings to the Tamiya kit. Hasegawa isn't he tthe wings correct either. Slats are too short and the flaps are all jacked up. You have to cut away the forward part of the flap to drop it correctly. 

Get KASL or wait for AMK for dropped wings. 

Brian 

1 hour ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

The Hobby Boss wings are terrible! Massive nonexistent riveting hat all needs to be filled. The leading edge slat is all wrong. They have it extend straight out and done have the airfoil curve or the angle at all. Really a big step back to add either Hasegawa or HB wings to the Tamiya kit. Hasegawa isn't he tthe wings correct either. Slats are too short and the flaps are all jacked up. You have to cut away the forward part of the flap to drop it correctly. 

Get KASL or wait for AMK for dropped wings. 

Brian 

Having wrestled with both I can only agree that fitting either the HB or Hase wings would be a massive downgrade to the Tamiya kit.

Let’s hope the AMK wings work out ok.