Trumpeter 1/48 Su-24.....

There are numerous resin correction sets available for this kit. How bad is it out of the box? Are the correction sets essential?

I know "it's your build, answer that for yourself", but am interested in the thoughts of those who really know the aircraft.

TIA<

M

those who know the aircraft well, tends to wish to get the shapes right...

personnaly, i've make sure i have the Komplekt Zip resin replacements (front, intakes, nozzles) in hand, before even ordering the plastic kit!!! (that's what i did...)

there is thread in another forum that might help you... LINK

Matt,

Main issue with the Trumpy Fencer kit is the ill-shaped radome/forward fuselage section.

su-24-nose-set-incl.-full-cockpit-%5B3%5

The afterburner nozzles are probably not so bad in the kit, and honestly there's little difference between the kit and the replacement intakes.

I pretty much did the same as the bloke above and ordered the radome/forward fuselage, burner and intake replacement sets before ordering the Trumpy kit 'cause I fear not to be able to get the Komplekt Zippie thingies after. Still mulling over getting the wheel set as well, but not real sure as of yet.

There's a very good dealer on eBay still going on right now - if you make up your mind and buy the KZ whole meal, be quick; I think there're a few sets still remaining.

Cheers,

Henka   

Edited by The Scaremonger
Because it happens that sometimes you just forget things

When I’m considering a kit that I know has errors, I like to look at photos of the model built without correction to see how bad it looks and then consider whether I can live with the errors. Here are a few builds of the Su-24 that may help you evaluate it.

Britmodeller

FineScale Modeler

ModellVersium

Steven Brown
Scale Model Soup

• 2 years later...

I was looking to buy this kit after reading some good reviews. But shelling out so many dollars on the kit and then having to buy after market to correct some basic mistakes!!?  Its ridiculous and that wont work for me. 

I built this kit pretty much OOB but, I was very disconcerted when I compared the rear nozzle area of the kit to the real thing. I thought it way off (as opposed to The Scaremonger's opinion). This was before the Komplekt Zip stuff was available. It does build up to an impressive looking model, but it bothers me a little that it is so inaccurate, but even if I were to do another one, I'd have to think twice about it. The kit isn't cheap and neither are the aftermarket sets.

So you spend over a $100 on a kit. The natural expectation is that at this price point, the kit will be accurate. Then you go out and hunt for an aftermarket part for another $40 to correct a basic shape mistake!! Thats outrageous to me as I m just not willing to spend $140 for a 1/48 kit. 

50 minutes ago, stalal said:

So you spend over a $100 on a kit. The natural expectation is that at this price point, the kit will be accurate. Then you go out and hunt for an aftermarket part for another $40 to correct a basic shape mistake!! Thats outrageous to me as I m just not willing to spend $140 for a 1/48 kit. 

Well, first off you can easily find the kit on eBay for $50 with free shipping and up. Therefore, you probably would not pay $100 unless you just didn't shop around. The kit imo builds into a reasonable replica without the resin aftermarket, so you don't HAVE to spend the additional money. If you are an accuracy hound then sure, I get it. I have purchased all the aftermarket goodies for mine, but that's just personal preference.

Basic shape mistakes are present in every single kit I've ever seen, some are much more glaring, some not so much. But again, if all you want is a reasonable replica, then most times you'll get that right from the box. Even the Tamiya Tomcats, although purported to be the "gold" standard of kit production have their flaws. The cockpit is very basic and most everyone would probably choose to replace the ejection seats if nothing else. The wings do not have a down and dirty option either. Now that kit sells for routinely around $100, although can be found for $70 or so. Add some decent resin seats and you aren't far from your $140 mark, a complete cockpit would put you in that area if not over. To replace the wings with a down and dirty option is gonna put you way over that. But, again totally unnecessary as the kit OOB is accurate for about 90% of modelers. 

TLDR: It's all about perspective and what you the modeler want from the model and the hobby. 

Well, sure, the nose and the canopy are somewhat off and so are the exhausts which are somewhat smaller and thus too far apart compared with the real thing, but it will still look very much like a Fencer when finished OOB.

And yes, I have purchased the KZ sets as I wasn't sure they'll be available afterwards, but I'm not sure it's worth it since all three sets cost almost twice what I got the kit for.

Edited by ijozic
2 hours ago, stalal said:

Then you go out and hunt for an aftermarket part for another $40 to correct a basic shape mistake!! 

Yep. Because sadly there is *no* other option.

Jon

3 hours ago, stalal said:

I couldn't agree more. But having a long suffering of AMS....I....just....can't ....help it.

I m not against after market to improve on things in the kit. But what I m trying to say is that if manufacturers are demanding such a high price, the basic problem of correcting the shape should be the last thing we should consider, ever. 

If the manufacture cant do the basic shape right, the product should not be released. Not just the nose, the exhaust of this kit has issues too. Again its the shape. To me, thats just lazy from manufacturer.

46 minutes ago, stalal said:

If the manufacture cant do the basic shape right, the product should not be released. Not just the nose, the exhaust of this kit has issues too. Again its the shape. To me, thats just lazy from manufacturer.

Sure, that's a fair opinion. However, I don't see anyone else lining up to do the subject, so you either build it or not, there is not another option except scratchbuilding one. Name ONE single product that has ever been released completely free of issues, plastic model or otherwise. There is NO perfect anything, life itself is imperfect. So quest on dear modeler and the rest of us will serenely continue to build our imperfect kits, awaiting the day when at last the Holy Grail appears! 

1 hour ago, madmanrick said:

There is NO perfect anything, life itself is imperfect. So quest on dear modeler and the rest of us will serenely continue to build our imperfect kits, awaiting the day when at last the Holy Grail appears! 

No wonder the AMK Tomcat is late!