Military aircraft schemes,

Looks like i spent one too many hours last night looking around for the  "white 1" scheme from the old 1992 Hasegawa FW 190 D9 kit. 

I wanted to get some corrobberating crossreference done up front of deciding on the scheme to go with for my kit, but all i seemed to

end up with was a good portion of contradictions. The AP6 kit depicts the Dora in flight above an P-47 and the characteristic red belly

with the white stripes tell tale signs for the german gunners to hold their fire. I always quite fancied this particular subject, but now i am

having a really hard time with myself deciding what to do. Should i go ahead and build "white 1" even with the knowledge this is fictitious?!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/120689-hasegawa-51306-focke-wulf-fw-190-d-9

The larger scale Hasegawa kits with the same boxart call out "Sachsenberg schwarm" but from looking around i believe the white number

one was actually red 1/3 and the spinner was yellow. I guess some manufacturers prefer to apply their own artistic license with kit decals.

So how about yourselves, ever built a fictitious scheme kit just because you really liked the look of it ?

Edited by breadneck
typo

Seems like Hasegawa took a liberate amount of artistic license, there.

I've built a Ho 229 in completely fictious desert markings, just because it looked so cool. So why not. But be prepared for some criticism if you show your model to modelers with knowledge or in public. You could even paint the bottom white with black stripes to match the white 1 as a "What if".

In the end, it is your model. If you like the look of it, then do it.

Yeah it does seem they leaned heavily on their creative side. Maybe they should consider doing a japanese

luft 46 range to help boost their position on the open market. There were a lot of japanese -46 types that hasn`t

been catered for by others than the Czech cottage industry and the japs arent exactly known to disapprove of 

animated figures or science fiction.  They don`t make many new toolings anymore do they?

I can`t help wonder what other kits out there posess the same amount of "ingenuity" I do have a Hasegawa twin

111, but that one is stated as being fictitious so a nobrainer right there. With the constant debating over the various

RLM schemes and tonal variations, i am very happy to announce this really doesn`t mean all that much to me.

Like someone on here said, it`s more the case of semantics. Tomatoes or tomaters :)

I think the main issue with the Dora kit i referred to is the difference between the red white underbelly schemes and

the other much less striking schemes. But i wasn`t kicking off this topic purely for the sake of 190s. I`d love to hear

of other examples i am unaware of. Promise i won`t bite.. 

Edited by breadneck
tyop

There were four (known) Fw 190Ds of the "Sachsenberg Swarm", and all had red numerals with white outlines: 4 (Fw 190D-11), 1, 3, 13 (fw 190D-9s). All had yellow spinner caps with black aft portions.

Much more information has come to light since Hasegawa released that boxing in 1992. At least they went with the correct red undersides striped in white, because it wasn't long before that their undersides were thought to have been black with white stripes...

These decals provide all you need to make it happen, and also a good bit of accurate documentation:

http://www.eagle-editions.com/eaglecals-14-dora-of-the-galland-circus.html

HTH,

D

Oh really, i didn`t realize there were so few of the red belied Doras. Luftwaffe fighters sporting b/w invasion stripes, well that`s a laugh.

Trying to deceive the opposition into thinking they were friendly? Well that certainly makes these red/white Doras a bit more interesting.  

Amusingly, my japanese Aero Detail reference book about the Dora has a black white picture of the Sachsenberg "white 1" and the text

tells of an accompanying white/red spinner. The Dora booklet was issued in 1990 but my copy is a 2006 apparently unrevised example.

Also, the vintage Heller Spitfire XVIe springs to mind. Has some vivid green D @ GE squadron codes, but they`re supposed to be white. Ironically this one`s been collecting dust on my shelf for more than 20 years now, but still as green as ever.

http://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/previews/heller/80282.htm

Edited by breadneck

P1010012-1_zps4ff0eb19.jpg

Here's my build. Used Eaglecals, and information from Jerry Crandall's excellent 2 volume series on the Dora. IIRC, this is the Eduard kit. This model of course is a D-11. (Note outer wing guns, and lack of cowl guns.) The decal sheet includes the original airplane nu,mber, in full strength. I gently sanded that down, while still on the decal sheet, then applied 2 coats of decal maker fluid to give it body, before I cut it from sheet. Then, the red 4 was applied over it, in the manner of the real plane. Note the black spinner with yellow cap. I painted the bottom white, and used 1/8 in tape strips to mask off the stripes, then painted it Model Master Guards Red. The upper camo colors were WEM (Colorcoats) enamels, RLM82 & 83 over MM Blue 76.

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr
13 hours ago, breadneck said:

Oh really, i didn`t realize there were so few of the red belied Doras.

Smith & Creek made a case for a possible 5th aircraft of the Swarm in their Fw 190 volumes from Classic Publications. But, they only provide one grainy photograph and some speculation. Possible, but not yet conclusively proven.

The point of my previous post is that the Hasegawa scheme is NOT fictitious. They merely botched the details of the scheme due to inadequate information available to them at the time. 

Back to your original point, I find it hard to imagine that anyone would completely trust kit instructions for any colors, schemes, or even camo patterns given how often they ALL  tend to botch things so horribly. A quick Googling session can usually sort out the correct information in just a matter of minutes. 

But, does box art inspire builds? Sure! That's what it's there for. :thumbsup:

D

Edited by D Bellis
On 1/19/2017 at 11:32 PM, D Bellis said:

Smith & Creek made a case for a possible 5th aircraft of the Swarm in their Fw 190 volumes from Classic Publications. But, they only provide one grainy photograph and some speculation. Possible, but not yet conclusively proven.

The point of my previous post is that the Hasegawa scheme is NOT fictitious. They merely botched the details of the scheme due to inadequate information available to them at the time. 

Back to your original point, I find it hard to imagine that anyone would completely trust kit instructions for any colors, schemes, or even camo patterns given how often they ALL  tend to botch things so horribly. A quick Googling session can usually sort out the correct information in just a matter of minutes. 

But, does box art inspire builds? Sure! That's what it's there for. :thumbsup:

D

Certainly might not be an act of premeditation from Hasegawa, nevertheless (is that one word??) if it`s not factual,

then what is it? In my opinion it is fictitious because it is not factual however much effort was put into the final product.

Amusing to see this more recent Hasegawa D 9 boxing and how they changed it ;-)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/136746-hasegawa-00722-focke-wulf-fw190d-9-jv44

This box art does not inspire me to build it, however the old "white 1" does, lol...

Edited by breadneck
typo
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:04 AM, Hal Marshman Sr said:

I gently sanded that down, while still on the decal sheet, then applied 2 coats of decal maker fluid to give it body, before I cut it from sheet.

I like that! I'm keeping that in mind should I ever get a chance to try it out-thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

What anyone does with their model is entirely up to them.

However, there were five Doras known to have served with the Platzschutzstaffel of JV 44. Some are better known and more photographed than others, but we have a fair idea how they looked (Reds I, 3 and 13 were extensively photographed, Reds 2 and 4 not so much).

For anyone wanting to accurately model one of these aircraft, the information is available.

Just saying :)

• 1 month later...