Bandai 1/72 Y-Wing Gold Leader

Got the Star Wars itch again after TFA last year and R1 this past December.  Built Bandai's 1/144 Falcon and loved every minute of it.  Heard great things about the Bandai Y-Wing so off to work!

This kit deos not disappoint.   One of the best Engineered kits I've ever seen.  Everything is incredibly well thought out and molded.  Had the main frame and piping together in a few hours, leaving panels off for separate painting.  Everything comes molded in separate colors but I consider real models to be painted!  I also planned on doing lots of weathering.  

20170107_132343.jpg

Gathered together refrence material, the best I found to be my old Star Wars Chronicles book. I matched colors by eyeball. On one page there is almost an exact scale picture of the 1/72 model!

20170110_192124.jpg

20170110_192117.jpg

You can see a drastic difference here between the fresh painted model and highly weathered ILM photo.

20170110_192134.jpg

Edited by toadwbg
Add pics

There's seems to be no such thing as a clean Y-Wing.  My workbench is far dirtier, time to fix that.

20170110_191540.jpg

20170110_191548.jpg

My goal was to recreate almost every scratch and streak found on this page of Gold Leaders ship:

20170110_192153_edit_1484710049888.jpg

I would love to build this kit but I am not a 1/72 fan at all so I will stick with my 1/48th Bandai Snowspeeder and FM X-wing for now. You have done an excellent job with your Y-Wing however so definitely kudos!

7 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I would love to build this kit but I am not a 1/72 fan at all so I will stick with my 1/48th Bandai Snowspeeder and FM X-wing for now. You have done an excellent job with your Y-Wing however so definitely kudos!

I had the previous mindset that 1/72 was too small and all Star Wars vehicles should be 1/48 or larger but...this Y-Wing kit changed my mind!  Try it, you won't regret it!

I'm working on the 1/48 snowspeeder right now BTW.

23 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I agree with toadwbg. Consider giving one of these kits a try. I was 1/48 & 1/144 only, but bought the Bandai X-Wing, based on the recommendation from a friend. It turned out to be one of the best kits I've ever built and one of the most enjoyable builds I've done in a very long time. The fit and engineering are outstanding. After I finished the X-Wing, I ran out and bought the Y-Wing and TIE fighter, too. 

Ben

10 hours ago, janman said:

Damn it looks good! Always fancied Y-wings. Been eying the Lego version since Xmas but my little son has so many Lego SW kits already... Maybe I'll have to get this.

You should get this kit.

On Sat Jan 28 2017 at 10:45 PM, toadwbg said:

You should get this kit.

Yes.  As everyone said, its a great kit.  I havent built a 72nd scale kit in 30 years until I got the y wing and a few others.  

They are great little kits.  And my local hobby shop here in Texas is selling Bandai stuff now.