1:200 Hobbycraft 747-100

Hi, I searched around the city for a 747 kit and found this old 1:200 Hobbycraft  747-100 for a good price.     I was told it was based off of the Hasegawa kit.  

OchN3kj.jpg

eg0kucf.jpg

fTc45Hi.jpg

I thought the white maple leaf was missing and that I'll have to paint it on : )  It was there - just really hard to spot against a white background.

N6hCfQX.jpg

vMIBUNa.jpg

PQAxiXs.jpg

N1kg8wD.jpg

kfdCBMk.jpg

KUbvfab.jpg

Ne5F3NI.jpg

BbsfJ0l.jpg

9qSd0VI.jpg

zHtlbyI.jpg

I've always wanted to flap a 747 as it looks so cool with all gears and flaps down.   Got this beautiful resin set from AV O - didn't realize there were so many parts. 

L31FmEv.jpg

3wxzSc9.jpg

I've never done this before but I'll try my best to make sense of all the wing parts and which areas to cut.

Edited by crackerjazz

mS3pPbp.jpg

I've started cleaning up the AV O parts (actually I should refer to them as JN H parts --- as AV O is his member name and JN H the product). 

I've been doing some legwork in terms of reading up on "flapping" builds done by Oldhooker, AV O and Brad Shinn.   Fantastic stuff!   If I can achieve a fraction of the quality of their builds I'd be happy.

XTpCYk5.jpg

J2sszuh.jpg

Y6ABux2.jpg

hfZBy92.jpg

And did the same for the other wing.

ktEndq1.jpg

alHfTNO.jpg

Marked areas to cut for the bottom.

zNiaS5G.jpg

UflhT8c.jpg

jKSg3Ej.jpg

EehGebK.jpg

The wings on my kit seem to be warped and droop down, especially the port side wing.   I'm building an in-flight bird and have to depict some wing-flex, so......

jQVqyYx.jpg

I bent the wing by hand ----  slowly bending it upwards before breaking point -- and when it sprang back it had that nice flexed wing look.   I don't know if it will keep the shape, though.  I might have to try the hot water technique I read about it another forum - where you have to pour hot water on the wing for a couple minutes and bend to shape.    I was even thinking about strapping the wing onto a curved piece of wood and dunking the whole thing in boiling water but then it might warp in the wrong places.

9QOVC9x.jpg

3jUCh8D.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

OK, bending by hand doesn't work.   The shape isn't retained and after half an hour I was back to the original wing shape.   So I resorted to the boiling water dunk.    

yilzJQD.jpg

Prepared the wing....

TeS6vtZ.jpg

I was hoping that by dunking it into boiling water and "freezing" under the tap it would retain the shape I want.

jwouzLy.jpg

Boiled up some water.

99nwf9r.jpg

Dunked the wing for 6 seconds, ran to the tap and rinsed it with cold water.

E3v8CX8.jpg

Pretty cool wing flex.  

at10Yof.jpg

quM3qkc.jpg

CPbUuvr.jpg

Did the same for the other wing.   Although this time I boiled it for 10 seconds --- a mistake I think, as other areas which I don't want to bend did, such the areas held by tape.

I can live with it.  But now I know I shouldn't keep it submerged under boiling water for more than 5-6 seconds.

5fiwmGR.jpg

Dealing with some shape issues.  Had to sand down this area towards the nose as it had a bulge where the fuselage halves meet.  

BZDyndB.jpg

gEDACwk.jpg

6UZmFv4.jpg

Compared the shape to the Doyusha 1/100.    The nose will need a little fixing...

Pq6gFkT.jpg

But this area will need some serious re-shaping.   Now I understand why I haven't come across a Hobbycraft 747 build thread :(    

Edited by crackerjazz

I was planning on scrapping the project but I really don't want to be wasteful so I'm gonna try and correct the shape.   I realize it's not gonna be perfect but I just want to see what I could come up with.   But definitely I'll get a Hasegawa next time.   

3Oehfiz.jpg

uVlQPfR.jpg

yBbxDkZ.jpg

BZtW47n.jpg

tsP0Hmd.jpg

oSdOrBO.jpg

6G2t116.jpg

eNbjGfE.jpg

6DLQUeE.jpg

xszfV1B.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

YNghOX7.jpg

CDURpCW.jpg

oVyopZJ.jpg

TjTMdQG.jpg

I found the white paint pools in crevices instead of covering properly so I used several layers of Tamiya white primer instead.

rPRelhV.jpg

I'm not sure how others do the wheels if they use some mask for the rims then spray paint the tyres.  Maybe I'll try that next time.

Edited by crackerjazz

Worry not Crackerjazz, IMHO this is the quickest and easiest and most effective method for doing rims and tires.

And don't give up on this ... I mean, geez ... you did a nice job on the nose area correction. Don't you enjoy the build phase of a model? It seems most builders enjoy the Painting phase ... but I get a lot of satisfaction out of solving the problem of a poor fitting kit. Not so much the finishing of it.

I'd love to see how you finish a kit!

See you at HeritageCon?

Hi Todd, thanks!   :)   You can get the flaps from AV O.    Can you try sending a pm?  His email seems to bounce back but he's able to receive my PMs. Hey, Pete, thanks!   Yeah, me too, I hope I can do this justice, though.  I still haven't figured out how to fix the wing root fairings and the windows.  Re Heritagecon -  yeah, I want to go and see that LM of yours!   And I just might grab that 1/32 CSM kit I saw last year if I see it there again.  I'm just praying I won't be on-call on that date.  Being called out in the middle of the highway is no fun.

Awesome stuff so far!

What's your plan for the 1/100 kit?

I'm using mine to build an SCA with the Tamiya Space Shuttle.

I have a ton of 3D printed replacements for it, including a tail cone for the shuttle. Just need the Shuttle's mounting stanchions done, or I'll have to scratch-build them.

Trying to see if someone can take the 1/200 Hasagawa kit's parts and double their size for me.  Just may have found someone on FB.  ;-)

I'll keep watching this one!

Tracy

Hi Ray, thanks!   Hey, Tracy, I haven't decided what to do with the 1/100 yet, but probably just the JAL livery.   What are the Hase SCA parts like?  I could probably give it a try.   I wanted to do something about the landing gear on this kit.    I'm not sure if the Hase 1/200 has the same blocky landing gear parts.

khbISxR.jpg

7ItrE4J.jpg

11Hixp0.jpg

HI all, 

I am very surprised by what I can read here comparing Hobbycraft and Hasegawa early B747s.

I really thought they were the same kit and what I see strongly reminds me of what I know of the Hasegawa B747-100/200 in 1/200th scale!

Could this be a rework of the Hasegawa kit?

Besides beware, though I like your work on correcting forward fuselage shapes do not be overconfident over the Entex/Nitto/Doyusha B747 shapes. Although an impressive kit that can be built (with work) as an impressive model it is not known for its utmost accuracy : fuselage hump is supposed to be a bit flat and must be raised. That's from what I remember of an older magasine article (I started one at the time - long time storage this one ;^D).

I remember reading the small  Hasegawa B747-100 might be the most accurate Classic B747s in model form (if the same kit!!)

Regards..

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.

Hi Eric, thanks for the info.    I did have a Hase kit once but sold it unopened so I really want to verify the landing gear parts.  Do you know if the Hasegawa fusalage has the same shape as this in the wing root fairing area?

otveWQl.jpg

Worked on the nose gear:

esxEuyp.jpg

XvjktJw.jpg

Had to cut here to extend the inner cylinder for an in-flight position.

KOZWPzN.jpg

EnrkMu3.jpg

ba0rfQm.jpg

2tLPOGW.jpg

RiVYP3a.jpg

WQupdmB.jpg

Back of nose gear.

N03KqDR.jpg

cxmwxw5.jpg

W5mcfW2.jpg

Don't know what to do with the landing lights yet.   And there's still a third strut that I'll be attaching once I fix the landing gears to the fuselage.  From photos I see 3 pairs of doors for the nose gear.  The longer pair close up once the gears are down while the smaller pair remains open -- but there's a third pair --  baby doors that are half-open to allow room for a portion of the linkage for the third strut.  Still have to figure that out.

Edited by crackerjazz

Hasagwa kit images

Fuselage. nose gear doors are much thinner on this kit.

0206172111.jpg

0206172111a.jpg

Landing gear struts are not much different, but are a little finer in detail. not a lot to expect in 1/200.

0206172113-1.jpg

Shuttle stanchion/mounts. Painted grey to easy scanning for 3D printing, but it didn't work. Need these in 1/100 (twice the size).

0206172106a-1.jpg

0206172106b-1.jpg

0206172107-1.jpg

0206172107a-1.jpg

0206172107b-1.jpg

I think the shock cylinders should remain the diameter here, but everything else in the nose mount should be doubled in size.

Tracy

Edited by Vidar_710

Wow, the Hobbycraft and Hasegawa look so much alike - thanks for the shots!   That pinched area behind the cockpit doesn't look as pinched as Hobbycraft's but I recognize those landing gear parts.     I guess the only other difference would be in the wing root fairing area:

CCYrWzO.jpg

Hey, it seems possible to scale those SCA parts.  From your photos I've come up with this so far, but measurements would certainly help, as well as photos of the real stanchions.     I'm just wondering if they'll hold up a 1/100 shuttle, though, in FUD material.

kxeDWld.jpg

3lojb6l.jpg

Tj1D7iM.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz