Sharpening No. 11 blades at home

I would like to know what kind of sharpening stone to use for sharpening No.11 hobby blades?

I found a listing for Black Surgical Arkansas stones on Ebay. Has anyone used this and how is it?  Black Surgical Arkansas stone

Right now I am using a grey stone from Harbor Freight, but it does not seem to make the blades "sharp enough".

Any suggestions (links) on what is a good stone to get?

Thanks

Scott

P.S.

PLEASE don't reply with "just buy new blades".

I use a fine diamond wet-stone for my 10A blades. Seems to work well and extend their life until I snap them pressing too hard! The one I bought a while back seemed to go out of production, but there must be other companies that make diamond wet-stones. I have an ancient oil stone too, dating back to WW1, but the wet-stone is often more convenient.

4 hours ago, f-16 said:

I found a listing for Black Surgical Arkansas stones on Ebay. Has anyone used this and how is it?  Black Surgical Arkansas stone

P.S.

PLEASE don't reply with "just buy new blades".

I won't tell you to buy new blades, but for the price of one of those stones you're looking at, you sure could buy a LOT of new blades.....  :monkeydance:

Use a very fine grit stone.  As far as you Harbor Freight stone, you get what you pay for.  Go to a meat market.  They can give you their catalog.  There is a company in Grand Rapids, MI that sells knives, stones, etc.  I have a stone that my granddad gave me.  I sharpen my #11 blades all of the time.  They are just like new.  If you need honing oil, don't buy a name brand honing oil.  Use mineral oil.  You can get almost a lifetime supply at Wally World or any such store.

Right now I am looking into two types of diamond coated sharpening stones...

Mini%20Sharpening%20Stone%20Set_zps6qswb22r.jpg

3pc diamond coated mini sharpener "180 (coarse), 260 (medium) and 360 (fine) grit"

Also this one:

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

3pc Thin diamond coated sharpener (It says it can/should be used without water?)

Complete Ebay listing of mini diamond coated sharpeners

I assume that the #(number) is the diamond grit? So #400, #1000 would be 400, 1000 grit?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I don`t know how many of us does this, but one of the easiest ways to dull hobby blades would be to use it in another fashion

that it originally was intended. Grinding away sideways at cured glue seams and removing raised surface details....the list is long. 

After discovering these tools a while back, i dare say my #11 and other blades have increased their longevity considerably.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/2uj/Precision-chamfering-tool-R-Boko-japan/B007UM7G2Q/ref=pd_bxgy_21_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PP36RJH45DN1Q0ZMKCFG

These are pricey but there is an ok selection of tools. Hannants has a similar "economy" item with a bit softer metal otherwise identical.  

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PFTOOL5

I don`t hone my blades, i throw them away. Gotta love how disposable these things are, lol..

Tried many stones and tools,but in the end,this is IMHO the best tool to sharpen your knives,blades,scissors,etc.  :

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

With it,I'm able to sharpen my big knives like Fallkniven A1,Becker BK2, to small No.11 blades with ease. It's all about having constant and precise angle when sharpen it,and when done, my knives become scary sharp.

I have a sharpener like the one The Scaremonger showed. Think I got it at Squadron for about 5 bucks - haven't used it in years. Reason? Several years ago the Army decided that it's medics didn't need scalpels and ordered that they should all be turned in and be disposed of.  Between my Bn's head Medic and the Head Nurse of the Medical Bn up in KC I ended up with between 12 and 15 thousand scalpel blades (10s, 11s and 15s) so I still have a few left. I also keep a dozen or two of #11 Exacto type blades - there is a DIY store in town that sells 12 #11 blades and a short handle for a buck. And I have a dozen or so boxes, each containing 12 disposable #11 blades w/plastic handles.  I figure that I would rather find stuff like those above and use my time working on models instead of sharpening blades!

Edited by Hawk10