Mask cutting machine and software

Silhouette Portrait machine. Make sure you get a cutting mat! In addition to the media list above, don't forget Frisket Film. Plain ol' masking tape can be used with a slick backing sheet; I typically recycle the backing from Frisket, Tamiya sheets, or label sheets.

Inkscape to generate cutting masks as well as decals. This is an outstanding general purpose 2D vector graphics program!

Robocut to drive the cutter. This is a very simple program and gets the job done.

I am also using the Sihouette Portrait cutter. I was able to do letters as small as 4mm (5/32") with it to be used as paint masks. Have been cutting vinyl and papercard. After cuttig papercard, I was not able to get good results with small letters anymore. So I guess I'll need a new blade.

For easy shapes and letter, their own softwere is adequate, but when drawing my own shapes, it is a little awkward, as the software does not do what I want it to do. I have been looking into Inkscape, but I haven't had time to get more involved into it.

Another user of  Sihouette Portrait cutter. 

I've used it to cut Tamiya/Gunze sheets, masking film and Cheap A-4 self adhesive label paper.

The supplied software has been fine for what I've done so far. I've used it to cut 1/48 RAF roundels and code numbers. I've experimented with cutting little rectangles with dimensions 1mm to 2mm for no step lines.

All the main markings and serial numbers in this were cut using the Sihouette Portrait, I used masking film for these

Hurricane-Mk-1-44.jpg

The rear serials on the Jag were also done on the Sihouette Portrait,. These were cut on cheap label paper from a stationary store.

Jaguar-GR-130.jpg

Roundels on this were cut with Tamiya masking sheet

A6M3-32%2528Copy%2529.jpg

I bought some aftermarket blades for mine which are cheaper and have different angles on the blade. These differing angles are supposed to be better for different materials and size of cutting.

Can't remember where I found the info on the blades but a google search will find it

Nice info...makes me wonder...hmmm.

Questions;

1.What is the name of the stencil material used by companies like Tamiya for their tape and/or masks? 

2. Are there sheets avail of this product listed in Question 1?

3. Has anyone else tried the other competitors; Circuit Explore Air 2 machine?

Thanks!

I also have a Silhouette Portrait, as it is big enough for anything I need to do in 1/72.

I do any artwork in Inkscape, save it as a Plain .svg and use the included Silhouette Studio Software to run the cutter without any problems. Up to now I've mostly been using it for camouflage masks on models, although i did use it for some larger identification numbers on the upper wings of Swedish Aircraft. There are lots ideas I'm planning on using it for, it's really a versatile tool.

I made some T-shirts for my wife and daughters as well, pick up some good heat transfer vinyl, cut, iron and presto! Siser Easy Weed seems to be the best.

Cheers,

Hoops

I talked things over with my wife and had a look at various machines.  As she would also like to use it for some projects (though I think it will come down to myself only using it), I got a Cricut Explorer Air 2.  I am VERY impressed with the cuts and results achieved.  I have got fonts as well for German,  RAF, RCAF, USAAF and USAF.

I have ordered the following items from Amazon.  It was way cheaper than the same item on EBay.

https://www.amazon.ca/87130-Masking-Sticker-Sheet-Plain/dp/B004WBC0AQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485836021&sr=8-1&keywords=tamiya+87130

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Does anyone have a peer to peer software templates they would like to share?

I am looking for anything really, would like to start playing with this system.

Not sure what you're asking for. Are you asking for a sample mask file?

I make SVG files in InkScape and then use Robocut on my Linux box to drive a Silhouette Portrait cutter.  Various SVG files are available online, including this USAF roundel from Wikipedia.

PM me with your email address and I'll send an SVG of the below image that I've used to cut a mask.

Cross-Pattee-Mask.png.4c5cd7c77560cb3ac8295189121f2fe9.png

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Not sure what you're asking for. Are you asking for a sample mask file?

I make SVG files in InkScape and then use Robocut on my Linux box to drive a Silhouette Portrait cutter.  Various SVG files are available online, including this USAF roundel from Wikipedia.

PM me with your email address and I'll send an SVG of the below image that I've used to cut a mask.

Cross-Pattee-Mask.png.4c5cd7c77560cb3ac8295189121f2fe9.png

Sorry for the ambiguity...looking for templates that users here have created (roundels, stenciling). users that are willing to share with fellow modellers.

My  daughter bought a machine called a Cricut, which is very similar.  I'm going to try a shot at some 18" scale 1/72 letter and numbers soon, but here's a link to my F8A Crusader built, where I used the machine to cut out pieces of a scratch-built ejection seat from thin plastic card. The process and artwork are shown here:      F8A Build

Just another use for a neat gadget!

Ed

9 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

My  daughter bought a machine called a Cricut, which is very similar.  I'm going to try a shot at some 18" scale 1/72 letter and numbers soon, but here's a link to my F8A Crusader built, where I used the machine to cut out pieces of a scratch-built ejection seat from thin plastic card. The process and artwork are shown here:      F8A Build

Just another use for a neat gadget!

Ed

So the Cricut can now accept custom cutting files? Originally you had to use the cartridges with pre-draw shapes or text. There was a company that came out with a bootleg program to work with the Cricut but I seem to recall them getting a cease and desist.

My wife has a Cricut we haven't even opened and I have a Cameo Silhouette I've used to cut plastic sheet. Or should I say to score it enough to make clean breaks. I really need to utilize the tool a lot more though.

Bill

Hi Bill,

The Cricut software is on-line on their website, maybe Cricut.com?   You upload your files (I think my daughter uses .PNG files, as they are easier to enlarge or shrink), and then massage them as needed. .  I don't think it costs anything extra to use.

Ed