Does Future Floor Polish "Go Bad"?

Hi all,

I'm coming back from a long hiatus from building models. I still have an almost unused bottle of Future floor polish that I bought four years ago. I'm looking at it and it seems a bit more yellow than what I remember. I was wondering if it can "go bad", essentially not being as clear as it's supposed to be. Any help?

Thanks.

I have never experienced yellowing and have used some 5 year old Future with a bit of acrylic "thinner" or water.

Went on nice.:thumbsup: Been using Future for 10 years plus including two anxious times when we thought Future was going to disappear. YMMV.

Rick in Maine

Is Future the brand name for the product in California? I've heard the floor polish brand name changes according to the city you're in, like it's Klear, or Pledge or something else? Also, would it be safe as checked baggage on an airliner or will it be considered inflammable?

Thanks,

H

I've got a bottle that's nice and clear at about 3-4y old. But I also recently tossed a little jar that had yellowed; it was originally filled from that still-clear bottle. The little jar was for dipping canopies. Perhaps it got contaminated at some point...

3 hours ago, The Scaremonger said:

Is Future the brand name for the product in California? I've heard the floor polish brand name changes according to the city you're in, like it's Klear, or Pledge or something else? Also, would it be safe as checked baggage on an airliner or will it be considered inflammable?

Thanks,

H

I bought mine in Texas and it's called "Pledge Floor Care Wood Floor Finish with Future Shine". Basically look for Pledge with the Future symbol somewhere on the bottle.

To everyone who has commented - thank you.

I thought maybe it was just the yellow label reflecting into the bottle, so I poured some out into a clear glass. Yep, it has indeed turned significantly yellow to the point where it looks almost like someone mixed in a bit of apple juice. I have no idea what caused this; perhaps the Texas heat. Time to buy a new one! Thanks for everyone's help.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, latormentabritanica said:

I bought mine in Texas and it's called "Pledge Floor Care Wood Floor Finish with Future Shine". Basically look for Pledge with the Future symbol somewhere on the bottle.

Thanks, British Storm! I'm asking a relative who's travelling in Cali to run an errand for me, so I need to know how Future is known up there. Also, I've learnt that the stuff is not flammable, so I'd also need the bottle's aprox. dimensions so as to purchase an airtight container for her to keep the bottle inside her luggage. 

No idea about what it's called in California, but It should be "Pledge Floor Care Multi Surface Finish". It's called Klear in the UK, but it is a different to the Future available in the US.

No matter what it is called, make sure the word FINISH is on the bottle.

• 3 years later...

I'm resuming building after a 14-year "pause", and I, too, have an OLD bottle of Future. I have lost track - what is the recommended method to clean brushes/airbrushes after using them with Future?

Thanks everyone.

38 minutes ago, RichardL said:

My bottle of Pledge with Future Shine has also turned slightly yellow and not as clear.  Luckily I only used it on one model 10 years ago.  There are many better alternatives nowadays for hobby use.

future_pledge.jpg.38f0ca949f7b5615d2664f534f74c7f7.jpg

What are some of the better alternatives nowdays?  Most of the other gloss coats that I’ve tried are not better.

My bottle is the same slightly yellowish hue, but I look at this way... that's basically a 1" thick cross-section of liquid. Sprayed on it would be a couple thousandths of an inch, and that yellow hue would never be perceptible. I dipped a canopy in that last year and once it dried there's zero indication of anything discolored.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

What are some of the better alternatives nowdays?  Most of the other gloss coats that I’ve tried are not better.

Here are some examples:  Mr. Color GX100, Mr. Color GX112, Gunze Aqueous H30, Tamiya X-22, Micro Gloss, MM Lacquer, Aqua Gloss, AK Gauzy

clear_gloss.png

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

My bottle of Future looks a lot like the one posted, but, frankly, I still use it and notice no yellowing at all.  I agree 100% with Raceaddict's assessment that the thickness of the Future layer would be/is so thin as to make no discernible difference in whatever surface you are using it on, even it it is a perfectly clear plastic piece.  In addition, I've tried a number of the 'other' clear glosses, including Alclad Aqua Gloss and Tamiya X-22, and I have seen no better quality gloss finish using those as compared to Future.  I also have the  Mr. Color GX100, Mr. Color GX112 and the AK Gauzy, but have yet to try them in comparison to Future.  The only real improvement that I can see could be made is that Future CAN tend to darken the underlying color, whereas some of these other gloss clears are claimed not to do so.  I don't recall which of these specifically are claimed to leave the underlying paint unaffected, but I'll try to find the article(s) where this was stated.

One other thing...while some of these other glosses may be able to be applied via airbrush or regular brush, my only experience with regular brush application is with Future (which works very well), and being able to apply that way is a huge plus, especially if you're trying to limit the area you are 'glossing' for the purpose of decal application.

Future, or Klear as I know it was good because it was so cheap.

Not because it was the best, but because the results it gave considering the cost.

The only thing it does these days that you cant get with a "proper" gloss coat is dipping clear parts. At that it is really good.

Ive got a bottle that is getting on for 15 years old now at least and yes its yellowed and yes I still use it to dip clear parts and no I notice no yellowing of the clear parts at all.

I never liked to airbrush it because everybody tells you to clean it out of with an ammonia based cleaner, which is never a good idea because it attacks the brass on contact. The more you use it the more it attacks it.

You can clean Future from your airbrush or brushes with isopropyl alcohol.

I also recently found an unfortunate way that Future can go bad. If you leave the top open and you have fruit in your house, fruit flies will go into the bottle of Future because of its sweet smell. And they don't come out again. So now I have to buy a new bottle. But at least I drowned a couple hundred of those suckers.

4 minutes ago, Alternative 4 said:

What alternatives are there for dipping canopies?

My future might be at the end of it's life as it has dust in it and you can't buy it in New Zealand any longer.

I actually just dipped a canopy in Tamiya X-22 a a few days ago for the first time. It looked even clearer and sharper than Future, and a bit of fogging I had from a previous dip in Future cleared up, but it's quite a bit thicker which may not be a problem for most models but it forced me to sand down the HUD in my 1/144 F/A-18D a bit to make it fit.

4 hours ago, spejic said:

I actually just dipped a canopy in Tamiya X-22 a a few days ago for the first time. It looked even clearer and sharper than Future, and a bit of fogging I had from a previous dip in Future cleared up, but it's quite a bit thicker which may not be a problem for most models but it forced me to sand down the HUD in my 1/144 F/A-18D a bit to make it fit.

Interesting. Did you thin down X22? Dip straight from the bottle is quite thick.